Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1556 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Tray Icon

Tell you what: My vote would be to never allow an installation of software like this to ever be able to get on a password-less machine, just to prevent sneakers and trojans like we recently had going around the BOINC community. If installed, let it be with the concious blessing of the admin and or owner, where the onus is on Berkeley to maintain the position to err on the safe side.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sekerob at Apr 22, 2007 3:07:04 PM]
[Apr 22, 2007 3:04:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

hat3k, maybe it's the language barrier. I'm sorry we weren't able to help you more efficiently. The truth is, what you think is an obvious feature is deliberately an advanced feature, because with WCG being so resource intensive, it is important users don't forget it is running.

So, what you have had to do is a proper service installation, as would be used on a large network. Most system administrators managing a network like that already have the skills to set up BOINC without a second thought.
[Apr 22, 2007 4:41:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hat3k
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:

My vote would be to never allow an installation of software like this to ever be able to get on a password-less machine, just to prevent sneakers and trojans

do you really believe if i set the user password i will avoid trojans?

So, what you have had to do is a proper service installation, as would be used on a large network. Most system administrators managing a network like that already have the skills to set up BOINC without a second thought.

i tried, but i can not do that with no user logon password. we all don't have ones. we have antivirus, firewall, antispy/ad/malware. what do we need more to be more secure?! password? guys this is strange, we use our pc's personally, no remote control/access even.

we understand that crunching uses our pc resources, so let us not to be mentioned about this at least in tray :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hat3k at Apr 23, 2007 12:06:20 AM]
[Apr 22, 2007 11:58:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
olympic
Senior Cruncher

Just thought I'd bump this up with a clear explaination on how to make an invisible BOINC installation in Windows(no tray icon).

1) Uninstall any previous BOINC installation via the control panel.
2)be sure to install BOINC back into the same directory as it was before so you don't create a new machine ID and lose any work. Move the folder before the re-installation if you want to change it's location.
3)re-install BOINC and choose "service installation"
4)on the following screen, uncheck the boxes beside "Make BOINC your default screensaver" and "Launch BOINC when logging on".

5)a service installation requires a windows user account and password. Many Windows users do not have a password assigned. Go into Control Panel>User Accounts and create a password for the account.

6) Now when you reboot the machine, you will be asked to choose an account and enter a password to logon to Windows. To disable this and have the machine boot straight into windows, do the following:

Instructions for VISTA

Instructions for XP

Now the account has a password assigned but will not ask for it at boot-up. Of course this is not a completely invisible install. The running processes and services are still visible in the task manager. And of course the BOINC folder is navigable via "My Computer". As a final disclaimer, you must only do this to a computer that you own and have full admin privilidges to. Making changes to a work computer or someone elses will get you in big trouble.

[Jul 1, 2007 4:34:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

The 6.0 family of BOINC will have a 'service' only install which will have a secure solution for the password requirement. Didactylos will be able to give an exact idea of how that will work.

The Autologon utility of MS (fka Sysinternals) has been mentioned several times on these fora and uses encryption, but recommend an automatic Windows-L (%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation) to go with it. It's a question of education to bring password safety as an acceptable requirement, even on the machine in your own home.... the hardware can be nicked!!!! The upside is, that if an auto-update of the operating system makes it boot, it starts all up and yet retreats behind password security upon restart.

Do not believe in completely invisible installs.... those are the basis of trojans as mentioned. The knowledge proliferation of "how to's" will get you in trouble too and undermines the trustworthiness.... bound to generate one or the other user issue discrediting the volunteer projects.... you remember that recent case I'm sure (but did not manage to 'enroll' anyone at WCG for a very good reason!) :O
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jul 1, 2007 5:43:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Filipe Borges
Cruncher
Project Badges:

What if I use Linux? How can I make the service invisible?
[Aug 9, 2007 6:35:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

In exactly the same way - run the core client without BOINC Manager. It works just fine, and is the default in most BOINC ports. If you use the unported package, you will have to set it up yourself.
[Aug 9, 2007 7:14:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Filipe Borges
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thansk again Didactylos, I've just done done and it's working fine! However, my pentium 4 HT is being recognized like a single-core processor, and I'm running only one WUs each time. I must activate the HT at the BIOS again? I installed Linux 2 days ago...
[Aug 10, 2007 12:15:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Filipe Borges,
Do you have enough memory to run 2 projects at the same time? If not, then BOINC will only run one, even if HT is enabled.
Lawrence
[Aug 10, 2007 2:08:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jal2
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I may not be completely understanding what the issue is, but if the client in question is a windoze computer, then the tray icon is the Boinc manager which is launched via the startup folder (<start> <program> <startup>). If the Boinc manager entry is removed from the startup folder, then there will not be a tray icon to deal with.
[Aug 10, 2007 5:32:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread