Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 297
Posts: 297   Pages: 30   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 95842 times and has 296 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: JP´s Books Thread

Yes Ted

applause
[Jun 9, 2007 12:11:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The Skull Mantra and afterwards Bone Mountain, both by Eliot Pattison
[Jun 18, 2007 6:13:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

...anything from Stephen King will suffice. wink

I agree. As far as King novels go, the more pages, the better it is. My all-time favorite books are the Dark Tower series by King.
I also enjoy Dean Koontz and more recently the Repairman Jack series from F Paul Wilson. I am reading Hosts now, which is the 4th book in the series if my counting is correct.
[Jun 19, 2007 7:22:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

am i trespassing on JP's Books Thread JP?

Most probably you're familiar with Paolo Coelho. He wrote a trilogy: "And On The Seventh Day" and now into the final book: The Devil And Miss Prym, english (translation and published in many languages) , 1st edition print 2001, hardcover.....
Author's Note
The first story about division comes from ancient Persia: the god of time, having created the universe, sees harmony all around him, but feels that there is still something very important missing - a companion with whom to share all this beauty.
.... For a thousand years, he prays for a son. The story does not say to whom he prays, given that he is omnipotent, he becomes pregnant.
.... When he realises he has achieved his heart's desire, the god of time is filled with remorse, suddenly conscious of how fragile the balance of things is. But, it is too late and the child is already on it's way. All he achieves by his lamentations is to cause the son he is carrying in his belly to divide into two.
.... The legend recounts that just as Good (Ormuzd) is born out of the god of time's prayers, so Evil (Ahriman) is born out of remorse - twin brothers.
.... The concerned father arranges everything so that Ormuzd will emerge first from the belly, take charge of his brother and to prevent Ahriman from throwing the universe into confusion. However, Evil - being very intelligent and resourceful - manages to push Ormuzd aside at the moment of birth, and thus is the first to see the light of the stars.
.... Distraught, the god of time resolves to forge alliances on Ormuzd's behalf: he brings into being the human race so that they can fight alongside Ormuzd and stop Ahriman taking control of everything.
.... In the Persian legend, the human race is born to be the ally of Good, and, according tradition, Good will triumph in the end. However, many centuries later, another story about division emerges, this time presenting the opposite view: man as instrument of Evil.

I imagine that most people will know which story I mean. A man and a woman in the Garden of Eden....

Inagaddadavida (Iron Butterfly)
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jul 4, 2007 9:14:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Not at all. have read several books from Paolo Coelho smile

Now I am reading some from Isabel Allende
[Jul 5, 2007 12:30:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dirk Gently
Senior Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Anything by Irvin Welsh (sharp, often bleak, darkly funny, unusual).

Anything by Douglas Adams (but sadly there will be no more).

Anything by Bill Bryson.

We need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver (Harrowing).

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka (A Delight - Funny)

Just started Black And Blue - Ian Rankin - Friend gave me - did not think I would like it - but pleasantly surprised.

smile
[Jul 5, 2007 12:53:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

good to see as I got Rankin's 'Watchman' still on the shelf in unread state.

entirely different genre: Naguib Mahfouz, just passed i think last year well into his 90's, wrote many novels very much reflecting 20th century Egypt. Not shy of discussing 'controversial' issues to time and place. Very good read are Palace Walk and Midaq Alley
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jul 6, 2007 10:53:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Diana G.
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

Clive Barker's Imajica - amazing

Read that book twice! It is really gooood :-)

Used to read everything by him! What a writer.

Diana G.

[Jul 6, 2007 11:52:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Diana G.
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

My favorite series are by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman: The Dragonlance Series and also the The Death Gate Cycle Series. Wow, I read through them all seven times at least.

Also Stephen R. Donaldson, all his books are amazing. Well, very graphic in parts blushing

And Orson Scott Card my most favorite: Ender Wiggin!!!!

DG

[Jul 7, 2007 12:00:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: JP´s Books Thread / One of your First Books

I can´t edit a thread that is more than 60 days old, just changed the title of the post

As far I can remember this was probably the first

Papelucho smile
[Jul 9, 2007 3:43:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 297   Pages: 30   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread