Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 535 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
why do some web pages not let you go 'back'?

it's annoying when my back button will not work on them. the same page will reload.

sometimes a very fast double-back-click will help.
[Aug 26, 2007 11:10:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: why do some web pages not let you go 'back'?

That is some kind of script I think.
I mostly get it when I google and get on a 404 non existent page or something.
The back button itself won't help but on IE there is a dropdown list next to it which let's you hop a few pages back.
[Aug 26, 2007 11:29:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You can not go back further than a home page, or any page at which you arrived via a link. However you can anticipate that by having a side bar and storing on it any page (or program!) to which you are likely to want access without overcrowding your task bar with minimised programs and links. At the moment I have 5 addresses on my task bar, which is about its limit, but 15 on my Google side bar including 6 pinned addresses. I could gain more space by reducing the size of my scratch pad.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 26, 2007 2:08:44 PM]
[Aug 26, 2007 1:03:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jal2
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

you might be encountering a redirect, where the first page you went to immediately redirected you to a second page. When you back up one level, you are immediately redirected again. If you quickly back up twice, you will usually skip the offending page. Alternately, just use the menu pull down to skip the page.
[Aug 26, 2007 1:25:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MD-Crusher
Advanced Cruncher

it's annoying when my back button will not work on them. the same page will reload.

A manual to formulate complete questions: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html manual. Empty question, empty answer:

[Aug 26, 2007 5:48:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

you might be encountering a redirect, where the first page you went to immediately redirected you to a second page. When you back up one level, you are immediately redirected again. If you quickly back up twice, you will usually skip the offending page. Alternately, just use the menu pull down to skip the page.

This is probably the best answer. wink
[Aug 27, 2007 12:12:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cargod01
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I think the redirect answer is probably the most correct.
But, some pages open in a new window or tab, so there is nothing to go back to.

[Aug 27, 2007 7:27:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread