Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 38
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 30236 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Max disk usage exceeded

For what it's worth, I just received the following message from BOINC:

8/31/2007 9:03:47 AM|World Community Grid|Reason: Unrecoverable error for result dddt0101a0025_ZINC04112981-0000_07_0 (Maximum disk usage exceeded)

My PC immediately started crunching a HPF WU after this error. BOINC is set for a max of 4 GB disk space (the default, I think), and I have 55 GB free. That's a lot of space.
[Aug 31, 2007 3:12:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Max disk usage exceeded

The work-units itself also have a restriction internally. We've had a few occasions with i think FA@H in past. Check to see if the other work unit in the quorum also fail (Result Status page and hit the work unit name).
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 31, 2007 3:19:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

For what it's worth, I just received the following message from BOINC:

8/31/2007 9:03:47 AM|World Community Grid|Reason: Unrecoverable error for result dddt0101a0025_ZINC04112981-0000_07_0 (Maximum disk usage exceeded)

My PC immediately started crunching a HPF WU after this error. BOINC is set for a max of 4 GB disk space (the default, I think), and I have 55 GB free. That's a lot of space.

I got the same thing on one particular machine for dddt0101a0020_ ZINC00176075-0000_ 03_ 1--, dddt0101a0009_ ZINC01791522-0001_ 09_ 1--, and faah2164_ d218n460_ x2AZC_ 01_ 1-- crying

<core_client_version>5.8.16</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
Maximum disk usage exceeded
</message>
]]>

BOINC is only using like 55MB; there are 150GB free on this machine, and I have the local prefs override set to a maximum of 20GB for BOINC.

Others in the quorum are valid. What do I need to do to this machine? Reinstall BOINC & reattach?
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 31, 2007 3:28:46 PM]
[Aug 31, 2007 3:20:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

There have been a few workunits erroring out on DDDT. The error causes a core dump (which then triggers the space error). We are trying to determine the source of the error now.
[Aug 31, 2007 3:45:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The work-units itself also have a restriction internally. We've had a few occasions with i think FA@H in past. Check to see if the other work unit in the quorum also fail (Result Status page and hit the work unit name).

In the quorum, there is one other fail besides mine, and two others marked "in progress" (only four total listed, if you include mine). I believe mine failed at the very start of the WU.
[Aug 31, 2007 4:56:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Phew, it's not just me. I had 6 different workunits error out with that same error today. In 5 of the cases, all seven copies sent out show a status of "error". (The other workunit shows 5 copies sent out, three copies so far returned as "error".)
Two computers, both with Windows XP, BOINC 5.8x (can't remember exact because they are my work machines). Once stats update I can get the workunit titles if you need them. Computer IDs would have to wait until Tuesday. biggrin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 1, 2007 12:23:57 AM]
[Sep 1, 2007 12:23:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello sedgecom,
New projects almost always discover some work units that cause an error. Sometimes this is a programming error, sometimes an algorithmic design error and sometimes it is just an overlooked possibility in the algorithm. (Maybe I should just call that an algorithmic error.) Also, it is easy to make an error in the data files, particularly at first.

The WCG staff are on the alert for work units that always cause errors. If there are useful debug messages, please report them once you see that other people also get errors on the same work unit.

A lot of these problem units will be automatically reported to the WCG staff, even if you are taking it easy over the weekend.

So enjoy your weekend. This is the season for sun and fun!

Lawrence
[Sep 1, 2007 3:28:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks Lawrence--

For the group's information, there were seven copies of the WU I mentioned at the start of the thread sent out, and all failed.
[Sep 1, 2007 10:22:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello sedgecom,
New projects almost always discover some work units that cause an error. Sometimes this is a programming error, sometimes an algorithmic design error and sometimes it is just an overlooked possibility in the algorithm. (Maybe I should just call that an algorithmic error.) Also, it is easy to make an error in the data files, particularly at first.

The WCG staff are on the alert for work units that always cause errors. If there are useful debug messages, please report them once you see that other people also get errors on the same work unit.

A lot of these problem units will be automatically reported to the WCG staff, even if you are taking it easy over the weekend.

So enjoy your weekend. This is the season for sun and fun!

Lawrence

Well, when their weekend is over, they have some work to do ;) I have stopped crunching DDDT WU's because of these errors. I had 4 of them errors out today.
[Sep 2, 2007 4:06:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Wow - I went away for the weekend and came back and found a TON of these. I'm unchecking dengue also until it's fixed.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 3, 2007 10:47:41 PM]
[Sep 3, 2007 10:47:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread