Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 230
Posts: 230   Pages: 23   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 159833 times and has 229 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Speed Test The Global Broadband Speed Test

...and it's getting better:

Note to self: Move to Germany.

In Nymphenburg, in the north of munich, other side of town, they are testing connections with 150 Mb download.
But where's the point? There a no, or maybe a few servers in the net, that can provide 150 Mb upload.
[Jul 24, 2009 9:26:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gordoma
Veteran Cruncher
Windsor, UK
Project Badges:

In Nymphenburg, in the north of munich, other side of town, they are testing connections with 150 Mb download.
But where's the point? There a no, or maybe a few servers in the net, that can provide 150 Mb upload.

Perhaps not, but think about all the concurrent high-bandwidth connections you could have. You could be downloading some massive files, watch a streaming movie or TV program, have a video conference and a whole load of other stuff at the same time!
----------------------------------------
[Jul 24, 2009 9:31:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Perhaps not, but think about all the concurrent high-bandwidth connections you could have. You could be downloading some massive files, watch a streaming movie or TV program, have a video conference and a whole load of other stuff at the same time!

No, i can't, i am married! tongue

Speeding up now, anyway:

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 24, 2009 9:56:14 AM]
[Jul 24, 2009 9:46:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gordoma
Veteran Cruncher
Windsor, UK
Project Badges:

Oh dear... I've just realised how that must have sounded! shock biggrin blushing Oops!
Speeding up now, anyway:

You're just showing off now. wink tongue
[Jul 24, 2009 1:37:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Oh dear... I've just realised how that must have sounded! shock biggrin blushing Oops!
Speeding up now, anyway:

You're just showing off now. wink tongue

Maybe the test is faulty after some time:

No, it's running fast, downloading a file at 7.5 Mb. But as i said, where is the server with enough upload?

Tried again after a reboot:

Upload is always the same?!?
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 24, 2009 2:18:44 PM]
[Jul 24, 2009 1:50:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

ISPs use buffering systems, so when you fetch a file time and again it won't be coming from Linz, but from somewhere closer or a big hub. Akamai is one who takes care of internet load balancing e.g.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jul 24, 2009 2:10:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

ISPs use buffering systems, so when you fetch a file time and again it won't be coming from Linz, but from somewhere closer or a big hub. Akamai is one who takes care of internet load balancing e.g.

i'm astonished, and i find it hard to believe that. Do you have a link to confirm? A hub cannot store anything, as far as i know. Make me wiser, please smile
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 24, 2009 2:25:19 PM]
[Jul 24, 2009 2:17:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Strange, isn't it? Munich seems to be 100 mi away. Where am i then?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 25, 2009 9:47:45 AM]
[Jul 25, 2009 9:46:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Jul 25, 2009 10:39:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Got an upgrade biggrin

[Aug 6, 2009 11:55:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 230   Pages: 23   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread