Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1780 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Save points

Hi
I was just wondering if WCG Projects have "Save pints" throughout the Work unit, so could Suspend a WU and it'll carry on within 5-10 minutes or so of where it was suspended - or do I lose the whole WU, and I have to start again??

Neil.
[Dec 13, 2008 10:39:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Save points

Yes. We call them checkpoints, and they happen frequently - but exactly how frequently depends on the project. It could be less than a minute, or sometimes half an hour and more.

Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 checkpoints occur after each structure attempt.
[Dec 13, 2008 10:45:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks. I meant points and not pints....but Checkpoints is the right terminology of course!
I just tried it with three WCG projects and lost just a few minutes from each one.

Regards,

Neil.
[Dec 14, 2008 6:00:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Hi Neil!
You can find almost everything about checkpoints in Sekerob's Project Checkpoint Saving - How to Minimize Progress Loss on Close/Restart,
particularly how to have checkpoint taking recorded in Boinc's message log.

Information about checkpoints for the CEP project has been placed at the very beginning of this project and needs reviewing, so please ignore it for the time being.

Edit: Info for CEP has been updated.

Cheers. Jean.
----------------------------------------
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JmBoullier at Dec 15, 2008 6:47:13 AM]
[Dec 14, 2008 9:48:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

yes these projects here checkpoint alot and that is a good thing...

personaly now and then my computers lock up or crash do to things i am runnin on them (besided boinc and WCG) so it is a good thing that i normaly only loose 5 or so min when the lock up

hope we were all able to help answer your question

[Dec 14, 2008 9:03:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi,

I am just a new member here and have some questions. I wanted to choose the clean energy project, but when I installed the BOINC whithin the WCG I did not find that. However I receive work units for Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 and FightAIDS@home. I wonder how many work units can I receive for a project? Is there any limitation for it? Is probably working like "availability way": you can receive work units for projects which are not so popular.
Other thing: If I can not keep the deadline for the reporting date for a work unit what will happen then?

Thank you, and Happy New Year!

Gabor
[Dec 31, 2008 3:21:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello gabor1977,
First, go to My Grid - My Projects. Why not check every box? I have.

Second, select My Grid - Device Manager. This will probably show (default) as your selected profile. If so, click on Device Profiles and then on 'Create A New BOINC Device Profile for Home'. You can check the box that makes Home your default profile. If you are running a desktop computer, you can select the maximum output profile since you will not need to worry about a heat sink. If you have a laptop, leave it alone. Don't increase the work buffer size unless you have special reasons. Get used to how things work before you try changing them.

If you do not return a result by the deadline, the server will send out another copy of the work unit. If you do not return a result before the quorum completes, you will not receive credit. This happens when people shut down their computer for a few weeks or months, and then it turns on and sends back obsolete work for a while.

Lawrence
[Dec 31, 2008 10:46:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread