Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2116 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
My little buddy is getting hot

Greetings.

I have a MEGA 180 and the CPU reports 100% usage and my internal fan is running. My little guy is getting hot. I would imagine I am at risk for a burnout.
Anybody have suggestions?

-- JohnnyCombo
[Nov 16, 2004 10:48:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: My little buddy is getting hot

Same problem and question here. I've emailed support about this. I'll post when I hear from them. I've 512 ram and an amd 2700+ cpu and fan runs constantly. Any ideas anyone? Nervous.
[Nov 16, 2004 11:11:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Glad to see I was not the only one. I would love to scale back the usage. Give the app 60 - 70 % of my cpu. I would like to leave it running in background but I need to weigh helping humanity or saving my pc ...
[Nov 16, 2004 11:16:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

That is the way this works, all of the programs like this (distrubted.net, seti@home and so on) use 100% cpu power. its not a bug in the program.

Dan
[Nov 17, 2004 1:49:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Alther
Former World Community Grid Tech
United States of America
Project Badges:

That's what it's supposed to do. You're donating your spare CPU cycles to help crunch the massive amount of data that this project has.

THe reason your computer is cool most of the time is because it's not using the CPU very much. Now, with this project, the CPU is being used to its fullest, thus you'll notice it's almost always at 100% and thus will generate a bit more heat.

If you don't want it running all the time, you can always change your device profile so it runs only certain hours of the day. You can also have it run only in screen saver mode. However, no matter when it runs, you CPU will be running at 100% capacity.

- Rick Alther
----------------------------------------
Rick Alther
Former World Community Grid Developer
[Nov 17, 2004 2:00:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thank you for the suggestion of changing the schedule... that should help a lot skull
[Nov 17, 2004 5:29:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I found a solution that is quite satisfactory - and best of all free. its called threadmaster, and here is the link: http://bednorz.uni2.net/anyland/threadmaster/threadmaster.htm
not the best-looking piece of software (controls through commandline and registry), but works like a charm, especially for the price.
only for win2k and above, though.
[Nov 17, 2004 6:57:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

I would tend to disagree that all machines will run at 100%. I have a Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz, 2 gig RAM and, with no other applications running, it has not exceeded 55% cpu utilization in the last 24 hours. Just thought I would mention it. Thanks for your feedback Alther. <dataman>
----------------------------------------

[Nov 17, 2004 12:05:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If you have an Intel Pentium processor (p6 or p7) it will slow-cycle if it gets too hot (activates the PROCHOT signal and actually slows the CPU down until it cools off). If you have an AMD processor - good luck. Sorry, but K6, Athlon don't have that feature. Best bet is to limit crunch time, install another fan, or not run at all. As for downloading threading programs and such (esp ones that mess with the registry) I am very wary. Caveat emptor.
[Nov 17, 2004 2:46:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If your machine can't run at 100% indefinitely without overheating, you need a better fan/cooling system. I fear my laptop would overheat running like that but there's not much I can do about it since it's a laptop. All of my other machines though have no problems running fullblast 24 hours a day.
[Nov 17, 2004 3:10:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread