Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6825 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
hawksworth
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Error 1714 when installing new BOINC

I tried installing a newer version of the BOINC software and something went wrong with the installation but when I tried it again I got an Internal 2718 error.

This usually means registry entries are corrupt and I used a regscan to try and tidy things up plus MS install clean-up. All that made a difference but not much since I still get an error just a different one, error 1714. and says it can't remove an older version of the software.

I have also tried re-installing the orginal version I was running but this just fails too with an error saying "The configuration data for this product is corrupt contact your support personnel"

I have manually scanned the register using regedit but can't find entries for the software but something must be there convincing the install process that a previous version is still installed.
[Jan 12, 2009 11:59:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Error 1714 when installing new BOINC

You say you already tried the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Editing the registry manually may have been a mistake. It sounds like you have some severe damage.

You have two options. If you know exactly what you are doing, you can use msizap to clean up what you missed. But given the extent of the damage, I would recommend reinstalling your operating system and starting fresh.
[Jan 13, 2009 12:16:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hawksworth
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Didactylos

Where do I get MSIzap.exe from I can find a download for it on the MS support site?

I am releuctant to reload the op system as everything else is working fine a din anycase if I need to do that eventually I may as well try the MSIzap.exe as against a complete refresh of the OP system there is not much to lose.
[Jan 13, 2009 11:31:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I believe it is included with the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.
[Jan 13, 2009 1:09:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread