Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 87
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 26917 times and has 86 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
It is time to move to CUDA/BOINC !!!!

Hello community ...

how about updating the WCG system to use the latest in computation: CUDA

NVIDIA® CUDA™ is a general purpose parallel computing architecture that leverages the parallel compute engine in NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) to solve many complex computational problems in a fraction of the time required on a CPU. It includes the CUDA Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) and the parallel compute engine in the GPU. To program to the CUDATM architecture, developers can, today, use C, one of the most widely used high-level programming languages, which can then be run at great performance on a CUDATM enabled processor. Other languages will be supported in the future, including FORTRAN and C++. With over 100 million CUDA-enabled GPUs sold to date, thousands of software developers are already using the free CUDA software development tools to solve problems in a variety of professional and home applications – from video and audio processing and physics simulations, to oil and gas exploration, product design, medical imaging, and scientific research. With over 100 million CUDA-capable GPUs already deployed, thousands of software programmers are already using the free CUDA software tools to accelerate applications

I cant tell you it ROCKSSS .... in 30mns, i have done 7 seti units. Before updating my system to allow CUDA, i was doing less than 1 units/per hour...in the same time, i have only done 17% of a WCS unit ...
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 14, 2009 11:45:05 AM]
[Jan 14, 2009 11:42:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: It is time to move to CUDA/BOINC !!!!

Please refer to the many previous discussions of this.
[Jan 14, 2009 11:48:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well, i did read (just now) some of the threads ...

Here is my answers:

- Bugs: well, using boinc/cuda with seti for more than 3 weeks, never encouter bugs. (boinc version 6.4.5 for win32, on a XP-SP3 with nvidia drivers 191.20 whql).

- We (the WCG team) don't have a project supporting cuda: Well, of course you don't:

some projects will be supporting CUDA through Boinc, but it needs complete re-programming of the workunits

Well, time to go back coding ... for information, having read through the tech information, this is quite simple, it is just a module to add using gcc to the cruncher program. This enable the cuda support, and the good news, the result is untouch ...

Somebody said: Give me a Lever Long Enough to Move the World

well, now it is up to the admin projects ....
[Jan 14, 2009 4:00:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

biggrin The pressure increases. biggrin

coffee

[Jan 14, 2009 4:14:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

Right on! wink

Meanwhile, our gpu's will be waiting for you in seti and gpugrid coffee
to infinity and beyond

[Edit 1 times, last edit by mikaok at Jan 14, 2009 4:46:31 PM]
[Jan 14, 2009 4:45:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
damir1978
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I'm supporting pressure.
I mean what are we doing here? We are the edge of distributing computing (DC) and we suppose to advance it as quickly as possible. Only trough inclusion and broad access of DC we will have more numbers and more powerful computing.
So what are we waiting for ?!? WCG should be actively in front of DC projects not passively in the back of it.
[Jan 14, 2009 6:41:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'm supporting pressure.
I mean what are we doing here? We are the edge of distributing computing (DC) and we suppose to advance it as quickly as possible. Only trough inclusion and broad access of DC we will have more numbers and more powerful computing.
So what are we waiting for ?!? WCG should be actively in front of DC projects not passively in the back of it.

I have a great idea!! How about you go and volunteer to write the port to CUDA? That way you will have achieved your personal goal and helped WCG move forward. If you don't have the technical skills (I can't help on this software), then back off with the overt pressure. You are not the one setting the schedule.
[Jan 14, 2009 7:01:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
damir1978
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

How about being constructive for a change. What are you putting in place for my suggestion? Nothing. That is the opposite of something. That makes your remark useless.

Next please.
[Jan 14, 2009 8:29:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GIBA
Ace Cruncher

How about being constructive for a change. What are you putting in place for my suggestion? Nothing. That is the opposite of something. That makes your remark useless.

Next please.

I agree 100% with you !

Is time to evolve and put some creativity and innovation in WCG. coffee
Cheers ! GIB@ peace coffee
Join BRASIL - BRAZIL@GRID team and be very happy !
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=DF99KT5DN1

[Jan 14, 2009 8:46:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ease up.

BOINC 6.2.28 does offer minimal CUDA support. So we are ready, in theory. I suspect the theory is overly optimistic. So now we wait for a project to develop CUDA-compliant code for us to grid-enable. If you have been following this topic, you should be aware that there is a project that is contemplating this. We (WCG) are supportive and Nvidia has offered to help. But until the basic CUDA program is running on the project's own computers, there is nothing more that WCG can do except cheer from the sidelines.

Lawrence
[Jan 14, 2009 8:49:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread