Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8344 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
HIV Drug classes - transcription rehibitors

Hello;

Does anyone know what class of drugs fightaids@home is working on; has worked on or plans to work on?

Also; I heard of a new class called 'transcription rehibitors' relating to HIV study I think. The most close dictionary definition I found is rehibition meaning 'The returning of a thing purchased to the seller, on the ground of defect or frand.' I'd say rehibition must not be the same as rehibitors.

Anyway, I was just wondering about the classes we are looking for and what 'rehibitors' is as a Google don't find much of anything.
[Jul 12, 2009 10:12:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: HIV Drug classes - transcription rehibitors

Currently, FightAIDS@Home is targeting HIV protease, using many different approaches.

I understand they would also like to target integrase in the future.

Check the project status: http://fightaidsathome.scripps.edu/status and newsletters: http://fightaidsathome.scripps.edu/ for more.
[Jul 12, 2009 10:29:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
luyseyal
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I think you mean HIV transcription inhibitor.
[Jul 15, 2009 8:40:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Luyseyal;

No it wasn't a Transcription Inhibitor but good eye on target! Also; I think there is something about a Polytranscriptase Inhibitor; a Hyper Polymer Inhibitor that polymerizes the poly-nucleotides of the RNA/DNA of the virus like an epoxy heating up destroying code.

Anyway; there are more radical approaches out there but they have been pursued very little. I think they have a big problem with how to get drugs inside the virus or cell is the biggest thing as I was told before they have to be 'slippery.' Of course I'm sure cost is always a factor.

Many good/great ideas but very few with any practical purpose I think.
[Jul 16, 2009 10:15:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Another drug class is reverse transcriptase inhibitors. There are a lot of drug classes! FightAIDS@Home think they have identified a whole new class of drugs. They will have to come up with a nifty name for them - from the newsletter, I think "protease allosteric inhibitors" is the technical term they will use in their paper.

Exciting stuff.
[Jul 16, 2009 10:29:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mgl_ALPerryman
FightAIDS@Home, GO Fight Against Malaria and OpenZika Scientist
USA
Project Badges:

Hi everybody,

At FightAIDS@Home, we are working on discovering and developing new "HIV protease inhibitors." In addition to searching for new inhibitors of the well-validated "active site" target, we are also trying to discover a completely new class of protease inhibitors: allosteric inhibitors that target the "exo site." We discovered this exo site as a potential drug target. This exo site has not yet been validated as a real drug target, but we are getting closer and closer to reaching that goal.

In the future, we will also start performing research against HIV integrase on FightAIDS@Home. We've been working on the creation of more accurate models of integrase for a couple years, as a side project in the Olson lab at TSRI. We will incorporate these new models into up-coming FightAIDS@Home experiments.

The main classes of FDA-approved anti-AIDS drugs are as follows:
1) HIV protease inhibitors (that target the active site in the hollow center of the enzyme)

2) HIV reverse transcriptase inhibitors, of which there are two main classes
a) RT inhibitors that target the active site (i.e., the nucleoside analog RTI's and the nucleotide analog RTI's)
b) allosteric RT inhibitors that target a different site (i.e., the Non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors, or NNRTI's)

3) HIV entry inhibitors, which are also called "fusion inhibitors"

4) HIV integrase inhibitors, which are the newest class of anti-AIDS drugs. Only one HIV integrase inhibitor has been approved by the FDA thus far (in 2007).

Other types of potential HIV drug targets are being pursued by many different labs, but as far as I know, these other projects have not yet progressed to the point of receiving FDA approval for an actual drug.

Thank you all very much for your interest and for your help,
Dr. Alex Perryman
[Jul 29, 2009 7:33:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dan60
Senior Cruncher
Brazil
Project Badges:

Here, a list of most HIV drugs (most of them approved, and some under test):

http://www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml

Regards.
[Jul 30, 2009 6:21:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread