Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 27
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13626 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
RaymondFO
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
MAC OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard

Has anyone had any BOINC or WCG WU related issues installing or running MAC OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard?
[Aug 28, 2009 6:40:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MacRuh
Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:
Re: MAC OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard

I finished the update to SL on my MacBook Air 1 hour ago. It's not a real cruncher , only from time to time some WU's. Since last weekend there was 6.10.0 on it for testing purposes, working on an Aqua-WU.

After a last TM backup I started the installation which was finished 1 hour later without any issues. All installed programs were running properly except ... BOINC. Problems were with file access rights. I remembered similar problems when upgrading to Leo. The solution was to just install BOINC in same version again over the old installation. After reinstall BOINC started and continued the WU at the last check point. No further problems.

But don't expect too much on the visual side. Nearly no chance to tell the difference between both versions from just looking at it. Feeled performance is better, appr. 6 GB disk space freed.

Have fun with it and happy crunching
Hubert
[Aug 28, 2009 7:21:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I installed Snow Leopard and now I can't get Boinc to work at all. I sent the forced-quit report to Apple. Hopefully someone will come up with a fix.
[Aug 28, 2009 10:17:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I also installed Snow Leopard today. All I receive is a "BOINC connection to client failed". I cannot get BOINC to work, which is a significant issue.

Any ideas?
[Aug 28, 2009 10:38:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Now, welcome to the real world I suppose. Read SL introduced AV? Firewall? You need to check that port 31416 is open for the BOINC Manager to communicate to the core client. Localhost IP 127.0.0.1 is used by BOINC. Also BOINC needs ports 80 and 443 outward to be able to talk to the WCG servers. On security issues read Help and Start Here FAQ's.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 28, 2009 10:46:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sadly, I guess this is where I show my ignorance (thanks, Apple....for making things too easy for us old PC folks...)

I have SL installed. The firewall is turned off, as is the FileVault. I still do not get any client communication from the BOINC client. Can you assist as where to look/what to change?

Thanks!
[Aug 28, 2009 11:28:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I did an upgrade to Snow Leopard. So far Symantec Anti-virus Corporate and boinc failed to load. I uninstalled Symantec and re-loaded boinc 6.6.36, now everything is working.
[Aug 28, 2009 11:43:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RaymondFO
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

donnor01 and buzzrobins,

Did you reinstall BOINC? If so did this fix the problem or does it still remain?
If not, you might consider this option as MacRuh (see above) may have found a work around to this problem.
[Aug 28, 2009 11:57:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

donnor01 and buzzrobins,

Did you reinstall BOINC? If so did this fix the problem or does it still remain?
If not, you might consider this option as MacRuh (see above) may have found a work around to this problem.

I did reinstall boinc and it works now.
[Aug 29, 2009 1:05:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well, apparently it is just me then, because I have reinstalled BOINC 4-5 times already with no success.

Any other ideas? This system was working great with BOINC prior to the OS upgrade, now I receive a "BOINC Manager - Connection Failed" saying it cannont connect to a BOINC client.
[Aug 29, 2009 1:34:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread