Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 850 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
how do i...

change my hard drive without loosing all the information in boinc. i have to change my hard drive because it is breaking down. if the is any info stored on my hard drive offcourse (i dont know how the boinc system works).
thanks in advance

Win xp (sp3).
[Nov 10, 2009 7:41:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:
Re: how do i...

If BOINC is currently running, it's basically to do:
1: Verify location of BOINC data-directory. This is listed as one of the 1st. lines in the messages-log when BOINC-client starts, example:
07.11.2009 00:11:57 Data directory: C:\programdata\boinc
For XP the default location is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC
2: Disable network-connection in BOINC. (Advanced view, Activity, Network activity suspended)
3: Stop BOINC, verify in Task Manager boinc.exe has stopped.
4: Copy the BOINC data-directory to another location.
5: Install new hd and maybe do a clean OS-install or whatever you wants.
6: Copy the backup-copy of BOINC data-directory to wherever you wants it located.
7: Install BOINC.
8: If everything works, enable network-connection in BOINC again.

This method is if you'll need to re-install OS.
If BOINC is already stopped, you can go directly to step-4.
----------------------------------------

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ingleside at Nov 10, 2009 9:56:28 PM]
[Nov 10, 2009 9:52:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Carl-Fredrik Borg
Cruncher

Can you also please tell how to do this on a Mac? I'm soon about to install Snow Leopard and this info could be useful.

Thank you very much!
[Nov 14, 2009 12:31:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Can you also please tell how to do this on a Mac?

Ingleside's scenario is valid for all operating systems.
His mentioning the defaut location of the data directory for XP is simply adding some unnecessary confusion: why tell the default location when BOINC itself is giving you the actual location in the message log? What really matters is the line before his example:
07.11.2009 00:11:57 Data directory: C:\programdata\boinc
which tells you where this directory is in your current setup.

Cheers. Jean.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Nov 14, 2009 3:41:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Can you also please tell how to do this on a Mac? I'm soon about to install Snow Leopard and this info could be useful.

Thank you very much!

Don't have a mac, but still two things to remember when it comes to Snow Leopard:
1: If upgrades instead of new OS-install, you'll still always need to re-install BOINC.
2: The default WCG-BOINC-version, v6.2.18, don't work. Use v6.10.17 instead, downloadable from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Nov 14, 2009 9:16:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Carl-Fredrik Borg
Cruncher

Thanks JmBoullier and Ingleside! I'm doing a clean install, my Mac is feeling for some reason sluggish...:-(
[Nov 15, 2009 1:47:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RaymondFO
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

As a reminder, BOINC 6.6.36 version or greater will work with SL, and any earlier BOINC version will not. BOINC 6.6.36 is currently not WCG supported. If you want to copy your Mac hard drive bit by bit, sector by sector you can use the Disk Utility feature under Go<Utilites<Disk Utility. Depending upon the size of the hard drive you are copying from, this could take many hours. Good luck.
[Nov 15, 2009 2:05:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

hi, and thanks for the info. just one more question to get it all done:

when i install the boinc program on my new hard drive with a fresh install of win xp and copy the boinc data file "to wherever" as ingleside said then how does the boinc manager know where to obtain the data file?
If I copy data file to the default location does it then know that it has to continue the previous work units.

Greetings from the cold north.
[Nov 16, 2009 3:02:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

when i install the boinc program on my new hard drive with a fresh install of win xp and copy the boinc data file "to wherever"
No!
Read steps 5, 6 and 7 of Ingleside again:
- first you install your new OS and whatever else you need with it
- next you copy/move your BOINC data directory where you want it (or you leave it on the other drive if it's OK with you)
- only after that you install BOINC and during the installation you will tell it where you have placed your data directory (using the "advanced" installation mode).

Cheers. Jean.

Edit: Added "(or you leave it on the other drive if it's OK with you)"
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JmBoullier at Nov 16, 2009 4:22:43 PM]
[Nov 16, 2009 4:19:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Read steps 5, 6 and 7 of Ingleside again:
- first you install your new OS and whatever else you need with it
- next you copy/move your BOINC data directory where you want it (or you leave it on the other drive if it's OK with you)
- only after that you install BOINC and during the installation you will tell it where you have placed your data directory (using the "advanced" installation mode).

I'll recommend to use copy, since if you uses "move" you won't have a working backup-copy in case something get screwed-up...

For the same reason, if you're using the other drive, would still recommend to copy it to another location on this drive.

But, if you're only running short tasks like WCG, even if you does screw-up something, anything lost is negligible, so it's not really a big loss if you don't have a backup-copy at all.

For easy's sake, you can call the data-directory c:\boincdata or something similarly descriptive, and easily-locatable, and just select this location during the installation of BOINC-client.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ingleside at Nov 16, 2009 4:42:02 PM]
[Nov 16, 2009 4:38:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread