Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1228 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
kskjold
Senior Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
New functionality for team captain's

I have noticed the new Appoint New Captain link on my team page.
It is a good idea, and I like it. Thumbs up for who ever came up with the idea and for the people that made it.... biggrin
----------------------------------------
[Nov 17, 2009 9:09:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: New functionality for team captain's

Interesting and only available to incumbent captains of course? Does this initiate a confirming email?

The good part seemingly that quitting and rejoining a team is no longer needed to hand over the position.

This leaves the one man teams. They still need to create a placeholder member so the team can't be taken over, if they don't want to.
[Nov 17, 2009 10:15:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

This leaves the one man teams. They still need to create a placeholder member so the team can't be taken over, if they don't want to.
If the one man captain doesn't want to be on his own one man team, does it really matter?

Thank you for posting once, b.t.w.

Many other teams would be glad to add his membership to their own for more team workunits.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Nov 17, 2009 4:08:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Related

Please read here Website Update for November 17th, 2009
[Nov 17, 2009 4:54:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If the one man captain doesn't want to be on his own one man team, does it really matter?

Thank you for posting once, b.t.w.

Many other teams would be glad to add his membership to their own for more team workunits.

Think it was already 1 post too many under this ID. I'll return to doing exactly that and continue to be just that, a captain-placeholder, silent partner. Those are the best after all.
[Nov 17, 2009 6:03:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

retsof, I think you missed the point(s).

First there is the case where this member wants to join another team for a limited time, to celebrate some event or to help it to start, for example. And he also wants to come back to his own personal team later without finding it renamed or whatever.

And if he decides to leave it definitely he may not want it to be "recycled" by somebody who will find this opportunity to not start a new team from zero and then will rename it to something he does not support at all.

Remember that member names of participants of a team stay there forever, even after they have left the team.

Cheers. Jean.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Nov 17, 2009 6:26:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LoneWolf_53
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

As useful as I can see this new feature being I'm of the mind that it doesn't quite work as intended.

As a member of Base Camp I am one of those who moves around to different teams to drum up interest and last night when I went to move from the team I was at to the current target team I was given a warning that I was captain and could not move without designating a replacement.

I was not captain of said team and never should have had the option of designating a captain.

Same thing happened with one of our other members who came to the target team from a different team than myself.

To my thinking the only person who should have the ability to designate a new captain is the existing captain not just any member of the team.

This could definitely lead to abuse in some cases.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LoneWolf_53 at Nov 22, 2009 8:38:50 AM]
[Nov 22, 2009 8:34:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Hi LoneWolf 53,

You're describing a bug, not functionality. I tested it before and just now again. When quitting my team it was instantaneous, no questions or warnings. I'm not the captain.

Question: Is your team presently without captain? That's why with some teams members moving around it's optimal if a non-crunching placeholder is made captain. When passed on, the old and new captain just exchange mail or MSN whatever to pass on the password, then change that so there's only one active captain with captain account access :D
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Nov 22, 2009 10:10:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LoneWolf_53
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi LoneWolf 53,

You're describing a bug, not functionality. I tested it before and just now again. When quitting my team it was instantaneous, no questions or warnings. I'm not the captain.

Question: Is your team presently without captain? That's why with some teams members moving around it's optimal if a non-crunching placeholder is made captain. When passed on, the old and new captain just exchange mail or MSN whatever to pass on the password, then change that so there's only one active captain with captain account access :D

No the person who is supposed to be captain is listed that way now on the team page but only after I appointed him the position again.

Same scenario for another one of the Base Campers when he left his team.
[Nov 22, 2009 5:23:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Can you tell what browser and version, plus OS.

What happens if you say yes. Do you retire from the team?

In past if you change team, you could do that in one flow. Find a team, join and being simultaneously retired from the old team. Let me try this.

... and here we are getting a weird text:

You have selected to join a new team.
You are currently listed as a team member of: BOINC.Italy. You will be automatically removed from that team when you create or join a new team.

You are currently the captain of your team. If you quit this team, your team will no longer have a captain. If you would like to appoint a new captain, click here.

Definitely the wrong message shock Let's report to the web-developer, nelsoc and frazzle his hair a bit wink
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Nov 22, 2009 5:44:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread