Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1913 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Core temperatures too high.

i got a quad 8200.
i use EVEREST ultimate and the multi sensor sidebar gadget.
it shows the core temps of core 1,2,3,4 all really high upto 61 degrees C.
but the cpu bar is showing 49 degrees. so which one to consider the core temps or the overall cpu temp?
[Nov 22, 2009 5:27:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Core temperatures too high.

I'm certain to take some flack for this but those temps are not out of line for crunching. In the summer I wish I could get my core temps DOWN to 61C. I don't know what processor heatsink/fan you are using but you might want to consider replacing it with a high-end heat sink like Thermaltake or Artic Zero (there are many other good brands too.)
In five years of crunching I have never had a CPU failure and have run them in excess of 75C. If it bothers you, you can reduce your CPU usage (say 80%) and that will bring down your temps.
Cheers!
----------------------------------------

[Nov 22, 2009 6:04:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

get a 3rd opinion with the Coretemp free utility which reads out all 4 cores separately. Either way, 61C is fine. These CPU's easily handle much higher temps and are thermal protected i.e. will shut down if getting too hot.

Do get the SpeedFan utility too. Has great controls to set the system fan a little higher without becoming an irritation. Is permanently running on my W7 Quad, setting the fans to 45% of maximum, keeping temps down to 52C.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Nov 22, 2009 6:05:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

one reads actual core temps from the processor itself and the other reads the board sensor underneath the processor socket...
61 for that is not bad on air @stock what ambient temps?
dust in system?
fans need replaced?add fans? the larger fans move more air quieter...
[Nov 22, 2009 6:07:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

speedfan hasnt made much of a difference ( the cores are still in the 60s ) but yes my cabinet is really dusty after the recent painting of my house.
[Nov 22, 2009 6:30:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Sometimes the SpeedFan advanced setting need to be told to run in software control mode to override the system inbuild safety such as SmartGuardian or similar. SmartGuardian will still run but this allows SF to up the fan speeds dynamically at a higher rev.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Nov 22, 2009 6:42:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

You did not mention are these temps for idle or burn? Get IntelBurnTest and see what the temps are in full load. If you get even higher temperatures at full load, I'd say the processor cooler just isn't attached properly.
to infinity and beyond

[Nov 22, 2009 7:59:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

crystalFist,
You are still far below the limits which are already taking some margins with what you should not reach. According to Intel specs for this processor the Thermal Specification is 71.4 °C.

However, as some have said you are a little high if this processor is not overclocked, so some heatsink cleaning might do some good. When you have time, no hurry still.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Nov 23, 2009 1:38:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread