Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4867 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Longer work units?--->RESOLVED

Is it normal for some WU's to require 160 hours to run on a 2GHz Single Core processor? They usually show up between 7 and 15 hours. I looked at this machine today (located in my garage) and it was at 138+ hours and still had an estimated 22 more to go.
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Coleslaw at Nov 14, 2009 2:48:39 AM]
[Nov 13, 2009 6:59:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Longer work units?

What version of the BOINC Manager are you using?
The newer versions (6.10.xx) report wall clock time and not CPU time (you can select the task and then click the properties button on the left to get CPU time)
That being said RICE units are designed to turn themselves off after 7 hours CPU time ... always.
Is the the machine always on?
Is BOINC set to use 100% of processor time?
Are all of the power saving features of your OS turned off?
If that machine also crucnhes other projects (like CMD2) you may have estimates that are thrown way off but, like I said earlier, RICE units turn themselves off after 7 hours CPU time.
[Nov 13, 2009 7:14:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Yup...it was the BOINC version using clock time. Thanks. I was not aware of this change.

[Nov 13, 2009 7:30:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Glad to hear you are all set. Can you please add [Resolved] to the title of this thread?
[Nov 13, 2009 10:45:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Yep...thanks again.

[Nov 14, 2009 2:48:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread