Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4645 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
William LeGro
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Rankings/comparisons of one-and-only lonely computers

Don't know if this topic has been raised before - is there any way for people who devote their only computer to the grid to see how they're doing compared to other single computers? I've had mine going 24/7 for awhile now (don't know what the wear&tear will be), but trying to compare my results to colleges and other teams or individuals with multiple computers is kind of meaningless. My lowly ranking won't stop me from contributing, but still... (And yes, the concept of comparison and badges and rankings flies in the face of the altruism that drives this project, but I guess we're competitive beasts even when it comes to altruism.)
----------------------------------------

[Jan 15, 2010 8:46:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: Rankings/comparisons of one-and-only lonely computers

Hi William, I think one of the issues could be attempting to rank single computers on a like-for-like basis, i.e., someone could have just 1 single core computer whilst someone else could again have one computer, but this time an i7 (which can crunch 8 WU's at the same time).

I did at one time, start a recognitions thread for those with just 1 or 2 cores available to them - although it never really took off. I suppose, those who do have just the one computer avaiable to them (be it a single core, duo-core or an i7), aren't as likely to be visiting the forums as more competitive/active members.

Make no mistake though, just having the one computer (as I have), can still make a very valuable contribution - all it takes is time to slowly creap up those rankings.

[Jan 15, 2010 9:08:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
William LeGro
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Yow! Lookit all those badges! Looks like one of those Eagle Scout sashes with the badges sewn on, and I'm a lowly cub scout...(j/k) Thanks for the reply. I figured it would be difficult to parse through all kinds of computers but thought I'd ask. I wish I'd waited a year to buy an iMac with the Intel chip so I could do more projects, but they weren't on the horizon 5 years ago as far as I know. Maybe if this one burns up...(don't say that!) I've never even heard of an i7 (so here I go googling). Still, my little iMac has done a lot of work for good things, so I'm happy. Thanks again.

[Jan 16, 2010 12:24:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

At least one of the external stats sites lets you see how you compare to others with the same number of computers ...
www.boincstats.com
enter your user name in the top left search box
click on the "options" magnifying lens far right
click on the little graph icon on the far right
now you can get a whole lot of info on this page :-)
Have fun,
[Jan 16, 2010 12:38:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I started on one computer, a PIII some years ago. The project was a cancer project at Oxford University. I am not sure if WCG was even around yet. The project used the UD - United Devices I think - software.

Now, I have two dual cores, a hyper- threaded I7-920 (eight threads) and even a lowly Atom N270 hyper threaded machine.

Nothing I do matches the absolute thrill of that first experience on the PIII. To be actually doing something of value beyond myself. To be part of something great, even if only a speck on the wall.

Your work is as valuable as mine. Thanks for being with us.
[Jan 16, 2010 2:21:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Hi William!
You are right in the population that WCG addressed when they started.
WCG did not want to organize the worldwide championship of distributed computing, they wanted to offer the way for every "normal" computer owner to use the spare cycles of their machines for a useful purpose, while their computers were normally switched on. And according to your stats (average daily credit, or credits per month) you are right there.

Although it would be a lie to say that WCG is not interested by "competitors" who look for every way to crunch more and more, WCG is as much interested with stable users who contribute all year long, even at a more modest level.

As of yesterday's numbers in BOINCstats there have been 100,603 active members (i.e. who have got credits during the last 30 days).
According to your total credits you rank 69.272 which you migh find frustrating.
But according to the credits you earned during the last 30 days you rank 36,111, which means that 33,161 members who have totalled more credits than you have stopped or gone somewhere else, which is of no help for WCG's projects.
And if you and the 64,492 other active contributors behind you were not here that would be a great loss.

Whatever past contributors may have brought, what makes WCG useful for research today is its active members, all of them, and each of them at the level they can.

So, thank you very much for your past contribution, but please stay with us. Jean. smile
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Jan 16, 2010 6:57:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

William LeGro,

If interested how well your device does, go to this web page http://boincstats.com/stats/host_cpu_stats.php?pr=wcg&st=0 and find your CPU and look at the credit per (core) second. Compute the one of your own to see how well tweaked your device is compared to the mean of the same CPU.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jan 16, 2010 8:12:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread