Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 26
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6518 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
World community Grid Commercial

I was looking at the number of members in World Community Grid and was amazed how low the number was. It is only 495,746 which is not even a drop in the bucket when you think of the world. i think huge reason for this is people don't understand like my sister how it all works. I think If IBM really wanted to kick this into high gear they could making people aware of it with a commercial. I know this is for non-profit but if Wikipedia can do it why not IBM. I think company's and people all around the world if they knew what it was and how it worked in simple terms they would contribute. Knowledge is power, so lets power empower the people for humanitarian purposes.The donations could be for software improvements, educating people and getting the word out that we have a tool that could change the world. I have not seen a commercial that was simple and to the point which did not loose my family members attention after 2 minutes. they just looked at it like they were talking nuclear science, just went right over their heads. i think that's an issue that could be solved. i saw IBM commercial of the smart grid, that was a lot more interesting then they make this to be. Well that's my suggestion.
[Jan 18, 2010 3:27:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:
Re: World community Grid Commercial

From a certain point of view I could agree with the fact that IBM could do more in terms of "Marketing", "Merchandising".
In my personal opinion here, I think that this kind of strongly proactive approach would spell the end of WCG. Let me explain.
If IBM (a for profit corporation) starts spending money with a strong ad campaign on WCG what will happen: people will start asking "Hey why are they spending millions in commercial material, for the good cause? angel cm'on that's to polish their image and it is just to sell more computers. money eyes " The doubt on the conflict of interest will be immediate and this will be the end of the whole story.
The success of WCG must depend on all of us to make it known. These peer to peer channels can be very powerful to spread the information.
When my friends notice that I have machines at home just to crunch full time, they ask questions, and they discover a new way to contribute, and are very positive about it. Other channels are publications on the research done, article in newspapers, on the internet etc... This is the right way to go. This gives already a positive image for IBM and the WCG partners. But this has to stay at a level were it can be appreciated as a free contribution, a real donation for the benefit of all.
----------------------------------------

[Jan 18, 2010 7:50:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Thank you for summing it up quite nicely Hypernova. Word by Mouth and passing of the materials already existing via for instance the social networking systems keep the money going where best used to develop and launch research projects (direct adds proved wholly ineffective at that).

Now merchandise... yes there are/were very hard to get T-Shirts. Wish there being some catchy samples to put on stickers... universal. Kind of the WCG name wrapped around the planet with hands reaching in and a text such as Your PC Can Help Everyone! A template where it's easy to replace that text to any language and print it off such as with Deinem PC kann Allen Helfen. Maybe if I got time I'll flange something up in raw and the artmasters amongst the members developing it into something glossy easily scalable from sticker to A4 to poster size... another competition maybe, by the members for the future members?
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jan 18, 2010 10:15:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

T-shirts and stickers are nice ideas, I'll throw in another one:

WCG Wristband, like Livestrong. It is very common in various foundations, easy to wear, cheap..
to infinity and beyond

[Jan 18, 2010 10:36:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well IBM does not need to make the commercial. I dont think word of mouth is good enough it would only get to the science and nerds. i already have a hard enough dealing with my sister trying to get this information threw her thick head. I was saying donations, this is how research usually gets it's money. I know Wikipedia is doing it why can this site not be able to do it also. Well maybe you should get a kid like Microsoft did "I am 4 i can do so much" and show the world how simple it is to change it. I see so many organizations collecting money, and i dont see why this one could not benefit. T'shirts would help get the world out, raffles, their is all sorts of things. it just sad that their could not be more of a push for this.
[Jan 19, 2010 3:33:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

WCG is part of IBM and, as I am sure you know, IBM is not a charity. smile
So WCG cannot ask for donations, and in fact they don't want it.
One problem for WCG is to get people joining in and offering their spare CPU cycles to the job.
And a bigger one is to keep them doing it day after day.

For that purpose your "I am 4 i can do so much" is correctly illustrating the problem: 4-year kids are not easy to keep concentrated and motivated for long. For Microsoft it does not matter (once they have bought the product it does not matter if they don't use it), but for WCG that matters much.

Cheers. Jean.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Jan 19, 2010 7:01:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

Hi everybody,
I agree that it will probably not be a good idea for IBM to promote directly (with commercial) WCG !
Nonetheless, the support brought by IBM is essential for the projects using the WCG infrastructure.
For this reason, I think that it is the job of the project scientists to promote their projects and indirectly WCG !
We are crunching for projects not for WCG per se !
All the good promotion ideas should be applied on project level (with mention of WCG).
Cheers,
Yves
[Jan 19, 2010 8:00:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

One of the reasons I buy & recommend IBM (Lenovo) systems is the fact that IBM supports the WCG! In fact IBMs support of this ethically high standing project says a lot about them; IBM are more trustworthy than other manufacturers, that dont deserve mentioning. IBM also make a good range of inexpensive, energy efficient and practical systems for small businesses.

You may not think it is effective but I get asked a lot about the WCG logo on my home page, and I know a few people have investigated further wink
[Jan 23, 2010 6:27:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kskjold
Senior Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Another suggestion is to use one of these desktop picturs on your computer. biggrin
[Jan 23, 2010 7:30:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Thomas Klauset Aurdal
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

I read in the WCG e-mail newsletter that there were 71.000. new volunteers in 2009.
[Jan 24, 2010 4:33:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread