Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 201
Posts: 201   Pages: 21   [ Previous Page | 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 57401 times and has 200 replies Next Thread
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: This is for bbover and the IBM guys ..

I did register at Xtreme systems but am unable to post a question. Looked at the FAQ and didn't find what the requirements were. As for the L5640, who is selling this at that price? Google didn't turn up anything. I would snag a pair right now if I can get them at that price. Never OC a rig before but if I could get these up close to 3ghz, would be in heaven. Thanks for the info. Will hold off upgrading my mobo on for my harpertowns till I get more info on this. tnks

That's because your waiting to be let in.. biggrin
What user name did you register with and I will fix.

bearcatrp. tnks applause
----------------------------------------
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Mar 22, 2010 3:00:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Movieman
Veteran Cruncher

3 mins and will be fixed biggrin

[Mar 22, 2010 5:06:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Tnks

[Mar 22, 2010 1:42:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

Movieman, I registered at Xtreme Systems under EtaCarinae yesterday but still not possible to post, same as Bearcat.

[Mar 22, 2010 5:04:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:
smile Re: This is for bbover and the IBM guys ..

So here are my first performance results for the 980X hexacore, over two full crunching days.They run HT (12 threads) at 4.00 Ghz (unlocked CPU multiplier 30) with RAM running above 1.6 Ghz. The machines run air cooled. They crunch a mix of HCC, HFCC, HCMD2, FAAH.

I must admit that I did not expect such excellent results. My two babies churned over the two days a total of ..........yess 193'612 points shock
These machines produced nearly 50K ppd each.
And the nice thing is that they did this at 240watts/machine measured at the wall socket.
This is a ratio of 4.9 mW/point. If some of you have better values please post them.

This means that these two single sockets together reach nearly 100'000 ppd at 480 watts. Which is equivalent to a top dual socket but with 40% less power consumption and at much less cost. I suppose that two X5680 plus motherboard and fast ECC memory will not come cheap. It makes me really think again the single socket versus dualie. I have only one slot space remaining for one machine so the dualie would be the solution but not a cost effective one. RA will have to wait a little.

Conclusion, the 980X is a power monster born to crunch. wink

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hypernova at Mar 22, 2010 5:33:05 PM]
[Mar 22, 2010 5:29:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

So here are my first performance results for the 980X hexacore, over two full crunching days.They run HT (12 threads) at 4.00 Ghz (unlocked CPU multiplier 30) with RAM running above 1.6 Ghz. The machines run air cooled. They crunch a mix of HCC, HFCC, HCMD2, FAAH.

I must admit that I did not expect such excellent results. My two babies churned over the two days a total of ..........yess 193'612 points shock
And the nice thing is that they did this at 240watts/machine measured at the wall socket.
This is a ratio of 4.9 mW/point. If some of you have better values please post them.

This means that these two single sockets together reach nearly 100'000 ppd at 480 watts. Which is equivalent to a top dual socket but with 40% less power consumption and at much less cost. I suppose that two X5680 plus motherboard and fast ECC memory will not come cheap. It makes me really think again the single socket versus dualie. I have only one slot space remaining for one machine so the dualie would be the solution but not a cost effective one. RA will have to wait a little.

Definately a smokin machine. Congrats. Thought about a single cpu set up but been running duallies to long to go back. Will upgrade my harpertowns for now till I can scrape together enough cash for a 12 pack. Supermicro has some interesting systems. Movieman did a review on this.. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247769 . 1400 bucks. Not bad but don't think you can tweek it. Its tempting to hold off till the 6 core xeons get released. Probably can do it under 4 grand.

[Mar 22, 2010 7:01:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Movieman
Veteran Cruncher

Congratulations!
Excellent results and your thinking is correct.
Single socket will always be able to do more than 50% of a dual.
mostly a memory issue as the gaming memory runs faster and less latency without the 2nd socket but us died in the wool dualie guys keep trying! biggrin

Was playing around earlier tonight, got to 4600 for a short bench and this for 24/7 work on WCG..
So far it's stable the last 4-5 hours..
There's more there once I get the water cooling installed and a WB on the chipsets..Maybe 25x200 or 5000mhz is the ultimate goal.

[Mar 23, 2010 10:02:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

Maybe 25x200 or 5000mhz is the ultimate goal.

Wow! 5 Ghz and stable 24/7 at that speed. I really am eager to see that. I cross my fingers Movieman. You should be able to churn 125'000 ppd.
We have also to see what level of energy consumption will we reach in terms of watts/points. What is interesting is that the watt/point ratio relates directly to a tangible relative monetary value of the point. I mean relative as it will depend on your energy cost which vary depending where you live.

I see in your post that you have displayed Real Temp GT showing the 6 cores. When I run Real Temp GT on the 980X I get only three cores displayed. Probably a setup issue but could not find the function.

[Mar 23, 2010 10:29:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Movieman, your saying single socket will always beat a dually with same memory to processor ratio? How about the difference between the 980 and its xeon counterpart at the same speed? Would think the xeon would have a longer shelf life running 24/7 but am unsure. On the supermicro system you just reviewed, can that run with one processor only?

Hypernova, what did your system run you? Just curious to see cost benefit of building 2 separate 6 cores vs 1 12 core system.

Just reading about the energy savings makes me want to build a new one vs redoing my harpertown rig. Microcenter is selling the 980 for $999.00 right now. So tempting. thinking

[Mar 23, 2010 1:54:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

Just curious to see cost benefit of building 2 separate 6 cores vs 1 12 core system.

Bearcat, the answer is partly on that post:

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/...ad,28169_offset,20#272634

Here in CH I get the 980X at 1200 US$ a piece. Three chips will cost 3'600 US$.
Now here is my problem. I have only space for one machine and not more. Either I build a two socket or a one socket. A two socket top performer with X5680 xeons will cost me at least 5'000 US$ in CH.
Now for a single socket X58 machine complete and brand new with high quality top components, 300 GB Velociraptor HD, 6GB fast RAM, W7 64bit and a 100$ video card, the total cost without CPU runs at 1'600 US$. I have left 3'400 US$ for CPU's. I can easily buy three 980X. One to be put in the new rig, and three others to be inserted in my existing rigs.
So for the cost of a top two socket performer I can afford one complete additional single socket machine and two others running 980X. And these 980X will run 4.00Ghz 24/7. On the other side overclocking the two Xeons is doable as Movieman showed but it is far from being straightforward like with the i7 980X, and will depend on the availability of the right board. I have no experience at all with two sockets and little spare time. For the same investment of the top dual socket I will have at least 150'000 ppd produced (air cooling) for a consumption of 720 watts.

For the same investment:
1) I produce 50% more ppd.
2) I have a total consumption of 4.8 mW/pp versus 5.8mW/pp (according to Movieman) this is -20% energy consumption. On 24/7 long term crunching this means a lot.

Hence my logical decision. smile

[Mar 24, 2010 12:24:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 201   Pages: 21   [ Previous Page | 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread