Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 41
Posts: 41   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19075 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: The "Clean Out Those Dustbunnies" Thread

Well, I've just had a huge shock - as, I've got a Lenovo T410, and by simply removing the battery, my computer's temperature has been reduced by 25-30 degrees... I certainly wasn't expecting that massive a difference... This means that, as opposed to it being throttled back, it can run full pelt... Yippee!!!! biggrin

Now, I just hope that there's no unexpected power cuts... tongue

I noticed this too with my macbook (2008 unibody). I pulled the battery out and it went down 30 degrees F.
Stunned, and happy. peace
[Oct 21, 2011 1:47:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keithhenry
Ace Cruncher
Senile old farts of the world ....uh.....uh..... nevermind
Project Badges:

Hmm, just what are those batteries there for? Would a UPS serve the same function? I want to think the battery was used to keep some stuff loaded in the BIOS or some such back in prehistoric PC times.

BTW, along with keeping the dust cleaned out, another good task to do regularly on wintel boxes is to defrag. Crunching means a lot more uploading and downloading, often of very small files. I find it only takes a few days to a week for the hard drive to getting rather fragmented. All that checkpointing has to add to the problem too.
----------------------------------------
Join/Website/IMODB

[Edit 1 times, last edit by keithhenry at Oct 21, 2011 2:35:29 AM]
[Oct 21, 2011 2:33:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hmm, just what are those batteries there for? Would a UPS serve the same function? I want to think the battery was used to keep some stuff loaded in the BIOS or some such back in prehistoric PC times.

BTW, along with keeping the dust cleaned out, another good task to do regularly on wintel boxes is to defrag. Crunching means a lot more uploading and downloading, often of very small files. I find it only takes a few days to a week for the hard drive to getting rather fragmented. All that checkpointing has to add to the problem too.

Batteries are still used in the BIOS, but laptop batteries are seperate from that. The only consequence of removing a battery from a laptop should be losing power when not plugged in. A UPS serves a similar function, but UPS's are notoriously more difficult to carry around with you.
[Oct 21, 2011 11:46:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Yeah a UPS weighs as much as a cement block. Batteries are heavy. Laptop batteries have a few issues. I think there has even been a few recalls. You may want to call the manufacturer of the laptop and ask about the heat issue of the battery. They shouldn't be heating up that much. It could be a sign that the battery is defective.
[Oct 21, 2011 12:43:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

d, the battery itself isn't heating up - just restricting the airflow around the rest of the computer. I didn't realise that it'd affect it by that much though... Do other laptop batteries have that big a difference on airflow????

[Oct 21, 2011 12:51:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well some laptop batteries were found to have been defective and were heating up more then they should have. Some even caused burns on people since the batteries caught on fire. So if the laptop gets real hot you should call the manufacturer and make sure it's normal heating and not a defect in either the laptop or the battery.
[Oct 21, 2011 1:39:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
FAHE
Advanced Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

Seeing this thread reminded me to do something about my rising temps. I use TThrottle and usually just let it control what is happening, I have set the maximum temp to 73 and usually it can chug along at 100% at about 68. Recently however I noticed that TThrottle had kicked in, the temp was 73 and we were running at 94%. I therefore decided to do a clean.

After air brushing, vacuuming and spot cleaning, the heatsink was still caked up with gunk so I decided to remove, clean and reinstall.

In doing so, I managed to damage one of the clips on the heatsink while trying to re-attach it. The only way I could do it was to remove the MB from the case so that I could see the holes. This was my second mistake as I had to unplug all the wires. This was a daunting task for me so I drew a diagram of what wires went where or I thought I did. When I finally reassembled, the computer would not start. Third mistake. Having met my match, I rang my local computer store and told them what I had done. Bring it in was the reply.

$56 later, the pimply faced kid who looked about 10 years of age told me that I had broken the pin, not replaced the thermal paste (what's that I thought), swapped the positions of the reboot and start wires, and had not cleaned the GPU fan. He also said that next time perhaps I should bring it in to them for a clean.

Bottom line is I am back to running 100% on 4 cores with a temp of 54. Poorer but happy. smile smile smile

[Oct 22, 2011 6:14:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pcwr
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Got the garage air compressor and gave my laptop a good blast.

Running alot cooler and no more sticky keys. cool

Patrick

[Mar 4, 2012 12:32:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

Revival, after 16 weeks of drought, finally 2 days of intermittent thunderstorms and supposedly according to the colli rain gauge, 10.41cm accumulated (4 inches for the inglese). Temps dropped to 21C, but no, back to 30C again today, per the Stevens screen and the Linux box up to 62C on the hottest CPU thread. Time to power down, apply the brush and compressed air can, and low and behold, on air only, 49C. Not bad for a 5 minute chore, and better for the eardrums too... no persistent humming in the head long after leaving the room.

Crunch on.
[Sep 12, 2017 11:25:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enels
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Drought here in WA state too. No rain for 56 days then less than an inch. No rain in sight. Breaking all kinds of heat records too.

The east of WA is basically on fire. Four huge wildfires about 20% contained. Weeks of smoke and ash in west. If the fires somehow jump the Cascade Mountains I don't know what I'll do.

Edit: We also had weeks of dust and ash from huge wildfires in Canada. People were walkiing around Seattle with masks on. For now western WA is hot but ok. That could change of course.

Edit: We also had the coldest winter and wettest spring ever. I get my water and electricity from the Cascades so that seems ok for now.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by enels at Sep 12, 2017 7:04:40 PM]
[Sep 12, 2017 5:27:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 41   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread