Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 41
Posts: 41   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 29925 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: The "Clean Out Those Dustbunnies" Thread

Check your furnace filters too,
my friends moved into a town home,
and were all 3 getting sick including their baby.
Found an inch thick dust covering their filter,
and their humidifier was a mess too.
(my old house found like 2 inches of Dog hair).
----------------------------------------

[Sep 21, 2010 10:07:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pramo
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Just a reminder... Cleaned mine today and dropped 6 -7C ... chicken

[Oct 30, 2010 2:15:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Time to bump this to the top.
Did some spring cleaning on my i7 950 and went from 74C to 66C.
Don't forget to use a cotton swab on the leading edge of your fan blades.
I noticed the canned air was not removing it!
coffee
[May 18, 2011 11:22:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kateiacy
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks for the reminder, Brink! I'd been noticing that one of my machines has been running hot, especially the GPU, and figured I'd better open it up and clean it out pretty soon. Seeing this thread made me decide tonight was the time. Sure enough, lots of dust and grime on the GPU fan.

[May 19, 2011 12:34:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GeraldRube
Master Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Time to bump this to the top.
Did some spring cleaning on my i7 950 and went from 74C to 66C.
Don't forget to use a cotton swab on the leading edge of your fan blades.
I noticed the canned air was not removing it!
coffee

Thats a good idea--never thought of it--i had a quad core Q6600 that was blue screen very often i finally pulled the cover and guess what a pound of dust on the heatsink--has been running great ever since!!

[May 19, 2011 9:03:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

I put filters on all my crunchers. Made a huge difference in the long run although they did initially raise the temps 1-2c. My dust removal went from monthly to every 6 months. YMMV biggrin
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nanoprobe at May 19, 2011 3:24:40 PM]
[May 19, 2011 3:24:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Seeing this thread, I finally got around to doing that long-postponed cleaning. As expected, there were a lot of dust/dirt everywhere inside my machines. I did the cleaning the old-fashined way: opened the case, dismantled everything, cleaned/washed the parts, and re-assembled everything back. Result: temps were near their brand-new level. The CPU is of course, the darling of the show, and I got a 74°C-to-60°C drop there. Nice indeed biggrin .
;
[Aug 15, 2011 2:12:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Well, I've just had a huge shock - as, I've got a Lenovo T410, and by simply removing the battery, my computer's temperature has been reduced by 25-30 degrees... I certainly wasn't expecting that massive a difference... This means that, as opposed to it being throttled back, it can run full pelt... Yippee!!!! biggrin

Now, I just hope that there's no unexpected power cuts... tongue

[Oct 20, 2011 1:42:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

FYI for those using compressed or otherwise cans of air make sure you don't use one with a Bitterants. A lot of compressed air has Bitterants in it which corrode the pc components over time. Bitterants are substances put in certain products to try to prevent dummies from huffing the product since it leaves a bitter odor in their nostrils if they try it.

As for vacuums make sure you use a vacuum made for cleaning electronics. If you do not have one read http://www.ehow.com/how_5568198_vacuum-computer.html

You could damage the computer otherwise.

A number of computer gaming cases have dust screens for the fans and some have a detachable filter for the power supply fan since it is bottom mounted which means the heat doesn't go onto the motherboard and other innards such as video cards. These filters are a big help. I have often had to wipe the filters after just a few days.
[Oct 20, 2011 3:42:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Good point, it's a lot easier to clean a fan filter than to strip down a system and clean all the components, especially the GPU and heatsink (breaking their warranties).
[Oct 20, 2011 3:52:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 41   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread