Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 93
Posts: 93   Pages: 10   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 32218 times and has 92 replies Next Thread
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: c-types arrived

I'm sure Ingleside can come up with some constructed schema to have that fall over too, but those that have this are usually those that have brought it upon themselves. Can't possible counter program BOINC for all eventualities and have it always outsmart the outsmarter, without fail. Of course it's always the clients fault or the projects fault, and never the customer who's king, but not always.

Well, it doesn't really need to be very "constructed", just a configuration I would guess is fairly common for anyone trying to get a DDDT2-badge:
"Run DDDT2-work" + "send me work for other apps if DDDT2 not available".

This can gives series like:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Then there aren't any more C-work available, you'll gradually start filling with X, as you're crunching-down the remainder of C-work. This filling will go over many hours, and many work-requests. Also, since BOINC normally runs FIFO, you won't start on the X's before you've finished the C's. At this point, you'll have basically a full cache of X-work, with short estimated cpu-times due to low DCF because of the C's.

So, going by my example, you'll have 40 X's, each with estimated cpu-time of 0.3 hours, with a 0.5 days cache-size...

Only when the 1st. of these 0.3-hour-tasks has started running, and especially as the 1st. finishes, will it switch into "high priority", but this is often too late...

As for actual DCF, a quick look reveals Rice maxed-out with DCF = 2.55, while C-type's min DCF = 0.234
Difference: 10.9x.
----------------------------------------

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Mar 23, 2010 9:48:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Does anyone still gets c-types...??? Seems to me, that the joy is over and the feeers empty... sad

I hope I'm not right, but I fear I am... tired
[Mar 23, 2010 9:52:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
roundup
Veteran Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

Does anyone still gets c-types...??? Seems to me, that the joy is over and the feeers empty... sad

Same here, totto. C-types seem to be sold out as well as HCC betas sad
[Mar 23, 2010 10:23:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Same here, totto. C-types seem to be sold out as well as HCC betas sad

No, in the last few minutes I just received a beta.
[Mar 23, 2010 10:27:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
roundup
Veteran Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

No, in the last few minutes I just received a beta.

Oh yes, the beta show is just going on. Received two more - but no DDDT2 this time.
[Mar 23, 2010 10:33:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
X-Files 27
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

No C's but there are A's.... Its really a good day - A, C and beta.

[Mar 23, 2010 11:20:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Ingleside,
Hmm, it seems you're overlooking the real problem...
Wrong. You are building academic demonstrations, I answer practical questions.
User configures to only run DDDT2-tasks, and crunches maybe 50 C-tasks, each with initial estimate of 20 hours cpu-time.
The way the C tasks were distributed today a user had no chance of getting 50. My quad has run the whole day with DDDT2 only (no alternate work allowed) and a cache of 4 days because I have been out several times for a long time and I did not want it to run dry. Note that I don't consider 4 days as a reasonable cache size normally. Even though, this quad has received only 42 C tasks of which it has processed 26 only (several betas HCC in between). And the queued ones are still estimated at 14 hours and 39 minutes. Right now C tasks are no longer available and I dare to hope that the next batches will have a corrected estimated weight.

Had I kept my usual cache size of max 1 day I would not have been able to receive that many C tasks with estimates which were at 40 hours when it began this morning.
"Run DDDT2-work" + "send me work for other apps if DDDT2 not available".
This can gives series like:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
With this other academic case things are much simpler!
With the current distribution pattern for C tasks and all DDDT2-only devices** being answered "no work available" 3 times out of 4 you would probably have got none at all, and certainly never 15 consecutive ones without any X in between.

** DDDT2-only devices are served before DDDT2+alternate work devices.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Mar 24, 2010 1:05:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Ingleside,
Hmm, it seems you're overlooking the real problem...
Wrong. You are building academic demonstrations, I answer practical questions.

Points back to my log from earlier this month...

Just checked the log, I did 52 C-type in a row 12 days ago, before doing a Rice. Now, granted this was with DDDT2-only-setting, before re-enabling Rice when DDDT2 had ran-out, to keep the queue at 1+ days with Rice.

I would guess something similar can happen again, even didn't try getting any WCG-work at all this round, since busy doing other work.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Mar 24, 2010 5:57:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

I have two valid WU's but what has striken me is the short CPU time.
Less than two hours. When I saw that the norm was tens of hours, I wonder if this is normal doctor? biggrin

erlc_ a210_ pr78b0_ 0-- Jupiter Valid 23.03.10 07:18:58 24.03.10 03:27:16 1.30 35.4 / 31.5
erlc_ a216_ pcb006_ 1-- Saturn Valid 23.03.10 05:48:35 23.03.10 22:42:21 1.20 33.4 / 31.2

[Mar 24, 2010 8:29:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

The pr and pc are of the pe half within the C type, those are the faster. The se of C type are I think even faster... the last I had on my lowly Q6600 were all doing 45 minutes.

The reference is found in a sticky post: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,28528
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Mar 24, 2010 8:45:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 93   Pages: 10   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread