Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 1130
Posts: 1130   Pages: 113   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 355979 times and has 1129 replies Next Thread
I need a bath
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: It's raining Dengue, Hallelujah!

There IS a limit 80 wu/core/day
----------------------------------------

[Mar 27, 2010 4:54:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AnRM
Advanced Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

The operative word is 'box' not cores....if that can't be done, maybe reducing the amount per core might be useful. The bottom line is to spread the WUs around a bit. There are legitimate reasons to download many WUs ie large cache but I wonder at times.....smile
[Mar 27, 2010 5:40:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

The operative word is 'box' not cores....if that can't be done, maybe reducing the amount per core might be useful.
The maximum is per box and the 80 wu/core/day number is only used to compute the maximum for the box.

Reducing it might be silly, not useful. In fact, currently, we (CAs and techs) keep watching it carefully because with new powerful machines and shorter WUs we are closer to this limit.
Remember, the purpose of a computing grid is to get work done, not to spread WUs evenly with risks to have idle powerful machines.

Also, once again, the reason for these shortages is that mass distribution has not started yet. A single normal full day for this project might be more than 100,000 results with so short WUs and currently the total results since the very beginning is still less than 50,000!
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Mar 27, 2010 6:01:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AnRM
Advanced Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Silly me....I stand corrected. I hope Greg L and others like him will wait around long enough to contribute.
[Mar 27, 2010 6:52:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Also, once again, the reason for these shortages is that mass distribution has not started yet.

Is there anyone out there who already can (and will) mention when we can expect mass distribution?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 27, 2010 7:25:21 PM]
[Mar 27, 2010 7:24:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Also, once again, the reason for these shortages is that mass distribution has not started yet.

Is there anyone out there who already can (and will) mention when we can expect mass distribution?

Probably not - through the very nature of the project.

It was stated, right at the beginning, that this project will have periods when there's no work available - basically, due to the cascade of phases (with manual intervention in between).

[Mar 27, 2010 7:46:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mclaver
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

The operative word is 'box' not cores....if that can't be done, maybe reducing the amount per core might be useful.
The maximum is per box and the 80 wu/core/day number is only used to compute the maximum for the box.

Reducing it might be silly, not useful. In fact, currently, we (CAs and techs) keep watching it carefully because with new powerful machines and shorter WUs we are closer to this limit.
Remember, the purpose of a computing grid is to get work done, not to spread WUs evenly with risks to have idle powerful machines.

Also, once again, the reason for these shortages is that mass distribution has not started yet. A single normal full day for this project might be more than 100,000 results with so short WUs and currently the total results since the very beginning is still less than 50,000!

I agree with this. My I7-975 has peaked at 77 WUs. I have this machine dedecated to WCC 24x7, and it does nothing else (I build machines as a hobby, from parts, and dedicate them to WCC when I am done)

Statistics Date Total Run Time
(y:d:h:m:s) Points Generated Results Returned
3/27/10 0:004:03:09:40 15,917 16
3/26/10 0:006:14:24:53 26,538 31
3/25/10 0:009:08:27:42 35,957 48
3/24/10 0:006:09:05:47 25,237 39
3/23/10 0:008:23:06:00 35,225 53
3/22/10 0:012:02:36:34 46,978 77

With the availability of the I7-980 it probably will peak ovr 80, with the shorter WUs.

It makes no sense to have such a powerful machine sit idle, and not do work. You should consider raising the limit, as I think it is too low for the next generation machines.

- Mitch

[Mar 27, 2010 10:20:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

About the only useful thing WCG could do on their end to spread out the WU's a bit is put a limit on them like the Beta's have, ie- you are only allowed 1 WU per core or thread. For examle, on an i7 920, you could only have 8 WU's at a time. You can still have whatever length queue you desire but only 1 WU/core from that particular project.
[Mar 27, 2010 10:20:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

mclaver, the limit is 80/thread/day so an i7 975 would be allowed 80x8=640 WU's/day. I have a Gulftown running here and even with short WU like these DDDT2's it will only crunch through less then 300 WU/day.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 27, 2010 10:27:14 PM]
[Mar 27, 2010 10:24:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I hope, that it will continue raining for a while. I just came home with several boxes and cartons... The content...? A case, a power supply, a mainboard, a CPU, a fan, RAM, etc. etc.

So, please, let it rain, until I built all together, and installed the OS... praying

Lets hear what your building? thinking

Well, it's nothing special... It's a Athlon64 X2 4400, with a W2k3 OS on it. It's a video-recording server for a friend of mine.

But... it's running 24/7, so two more days a day of crunching for a better world. smile
[Mar 27, 2010 11:41:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 1130   Pages: 113   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread