Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 36
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6444 times and has 35 replies Next Thread
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
the Official Your First Computer Ever Thread (aka Nostalgia Thread)

Can you remember what was your first PC ever? (Doesn't matter if it was an Atari or a C64, only criteria is that you actually remember it :)

I'll go first. The year was 1989/1990 and this system was a monster, and had a similar price tag too. If I still had it, I'd definitely run some benchmarks with it and take time from a calender to see how it performs..

And the specs, all that I can remember :

- Acer, Intel 286 12 MHz (it also had a turbo feature, that lowered the MHz's to 8 MHz. You can laugh as much you want, but it was very useful for older games. It is also possible that I had the turbo feature always on, I never understood that..)
- Acer 15" VGA monitor, that was enormous (I'm not fooling this time, it would be considered huge especially today)
- 20 MB Hard Disk Drive, not sure though, it may have been smaller
- MS-DOS 4.0 OS. Had Windows 3.1 installed too, but never used that.
- 3½-inch Floppy Disk Drive, capable to handle up to 1.44 MB HD disks.
- PC Speaker (my first sound card was GUS MAX, which I purchased to my 386sx, but that's another story..)

edit. added a few forgotten articles here and there...
----------------------------------------
to infinity and beyond

[Edit 2 times, last edit by mikaok at Apr 1, 2010 5:55:01 PM]
[Apr 1, 2010 7:38:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GB033533
Senior Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Re: Official Your First Computer Ever Thread (aka Nostalgia Thread)

My brother had a Commodore PET, which he got in about 1980. It had a built in monitor that was about 8", an external cassette tape drive, and the memory was measured in kbs - I think he expanded it from 8kb to 16kb. I thought it was the bees knees, and my mates couldn't believe we had a computer at home!
There was one of these in the background in The IT Crowd (a familiar comedy series for those in the UK).

[Apr 1, 2010 9:15:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

A clone 8086 PC with 5.25" floppy, 10Mb HDD and a 12" amber monitor in Feb 1985
[Apr 1, 2010 12:17:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Beginners, on the home computing front ;>)... Sinclair Spectrum 48 and it's still working today (ca 1982), got it right when it came out peeking, poking with thermal printer (it smelled) and microdrive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Apr 1, 2010 12:28:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RaymondFO
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

1994 - Dell Latitude 433c
[Apr 1, 2010 12:33:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SNURK
Veteran Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Started out with a Commodore VIC-20, the predecessor of the Commodore 64. Must have been somewhere around 1983-85.
It had a whopping 5 KB of memory, 1 MHz CPU and 176 x 184 graphics (colors: green, amber or white).

But still a lot of fun hugs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_VIC-20
[Apr 1, 2010 12:52:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

wow a sinclair,
would never have pulled that out of the memory banks SEK!
my friend had a computer with 8 inch drives,

My first computer was a bit later when i went to school (college) it had 512K of RAM, think I expanded later can't remember,
then I got a laptop in '89... from Radio Shack an 8086 with 2 3.5" floppies NO hard drive (cost a grand). From then on I dont remember other than when 386 came out i got a 286 and so on...
You commodore people prob remember Spy v Spy, best game ever (till Goldeneye came out for the Nintendo 64)

[Apr 1, 2010 1:10:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

My first programmable device was a Texas Instruments SR52 programmable calculator, that could read small magnetic flexible strips.
I received it as a gift from my father in 1974.
I learned the basics of programming computers with that machine. It could store 225 instructions, and had 20 memories. The battery was dead in less than an hour when running programs. So it had to be always on the wall socket, and could become very hot.
I used all my spare time to program that little machine.
After more than a year, my father seeing that I was completely mad at that machine, offered me a thermal paper printer that Texas Instruments had designed as optional equipment for that calculator.
The most complex program I designed was for playing chess. The program was never finished (that was really too much for this little machine) but was split into about 12 magnetic strips and took ages to run as you needed to reload, unload etc. You could play a few moves that's all. But just to reach that you can imagine that my room had the walls covered by long paper strips (2mt long) with program printouts.
When I think back over those times, we were pioneers. After all the Apple II came out a few years later.

A small addition to my initial post. The first desktop PC type machine I worked on was tha TERAK 8510. This was during my studies in 1979. It had a graphical monochrome screen, and I used it to create a software that allowed graphically to build simple DC electrical circuits with discrete components: resistors, inductors, capacitors, diodes etc. and it would calculate voltage and current values on all points of the circuit.

My real first personal desktop computer was the first Macintosh II I bought in 1987.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Hypernova at Apr 2, 2010 12:48:56 PM]
[Apr 1, 2010 1:51:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Spectravideo CompuMate attached to an Atari 2600 in the early 80's cool. With it I learned to program in BASIC (I was ~9yo at the time).

Then my parents got me a proper computer, Atari 800XL with 64KB of RAM, Floppy disk drive and a bunch of accessories.

First PC was a 286 clone in 1990 with just the basics, DOS 3.3, 1MB RAM (I never used the "upper" 384KB of that memory due to limitations of the DOS), 40MB HDD with two partitions (it was not possible to have a partition larger than 32MB), Hercules monochromatic graphics card (which included the parallel port) and 5 1/4" floppy drive (1.2MB in HD*).

Mmm, those were good days. Good thread mikaok.

*HD as in High Density, not High Definition tongue
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Apr 1, 2010 3:30:45 PM]
[Apr 1, 2010 3:28:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
darth_vader
Veteran Cruncher
A galaxy far, far away...
Project Badges:

Apple II with 4K memory, in 1978. Expanded to 16K in 1979.

Although I didn't own it, an HP2000 in 1974 was essentially "my" computer as I was frequently the only user on it and definitely the only programmer. (I learned to program on that machine.) The Apple II was quite a step down and took some getting used to.

- D
[Apr 1, 2010 8:32:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread