Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 581
Posts: 581   Pages: 59   [ Previous Page | 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 35613 times and has 580 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Okay, I confez, I'm not a Linux Adapt.

Finally got round and had another bash at the KDE GUI (discussed here before as an OT ), now 4.6.1 after reactivating the Synaptic repository http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu and finding/selecting "kubuntu-desktop", install, log out, log in selecting the kde instead of the gdm desktop and was wowed. Gloss all over and this time working smooth... needs to get used too as there are many different default apps, but it carried Cairo-Doc k across correctly, so mostly had all things around that were already in regular use. The Menu system is much much nicer and Synapse launch bar now comes up with a single Ctrl-Space instead of hitting the space bar twice... it's so much quicker to do ctrl-space and then type a few letters of an application or file or a webaddress and then launch it.

--//--
[Mar 15, 2011 10:58:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Few days ago got rid of BitDefender for Unices since it was not doing any real time scanning and replaced it with Clam AV which recently got a GUI "clamtk", then saw this morning that there was no daemon running (clamd) and when executing

sudo /etc/init.d/clamav-daemon restart

discovered that I had actually missed to pick the daemon part too, so here the list of items after adding the official Launchpad ppa to Synaptic repositories: ppa:ubuntu-clamav/ppa

clamav
clamav-base
clamav-docs
clamav-daemon
clamav-freshclam
clamtk
libclamav6

That's a pain with Linux... it's not like Windows always offering a shoot and go single installer to get all the components. On the other hand, it leaves choice what bits you want... run headless, why install the GUI, or run the scanner only when you need to or leave out the mail scanning component if it's just a crunching box. Well the daemon is running now (117.3Mb RAM, 0.6 Mb Shared Mem), and not noticing it does... of course have put the BOINC data dir in the whitelist dancing

enjoy

edit: And as bonus the install procedures of clamtk and a description to set up ad-hoc scanning from within nautilus file manager: http://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/linux-virus-scanner-protection/

edit2: This link to the next ad-hoc scanning script from within nautilus is much better as it does directories and multi file selections too, PLUS, it reports back what it's done.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-104001.html

I've put the script in the same virus_scan file, made it executable and moved it from terminal:

cd /home
sudo chmod +x virus_scan
sudo mv virus_scan .gnome2/nautilus-scripts
nautilus -q

Pick a file/directory, right click, move to the scripts menu and select "virus_scan"

edit 3: Dang, to confirm the daemon loads during system restart and booted... and it had not, so manually started it again in terminal

sudo service clamav-daemon start

which confirms with the line

* Starting ClamAV daemon clamd [ OK ]

and added the same line to the System > Preferences > Startup Applications, so now all is dandy, with a saver feel then before, which was lots higher anyhow than Windows.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 17, 2011 11:09:42 AM]
[Mar 17, 2011 10:12:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If you're power consumption "aware", don't jump on the Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal bandwagon yet. Seems your laptop in particular will start to use lots more:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article...ux_mobile_uffda&num=1

And for those that, here's many tweaks:

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/things-to-tweak-fix-after-installing.html

Seems the new Unity interface is far from development-complete yet. Could not get to like it when I test rided it some time ago.

--//--

edit: Narwhal
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Apr 29, 2011 9:34:24 AM]
[Apr 29, 2011 9:33:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

That is a good tweaks link!
One thing you can do if you don't like Unity is change to GNOME Classic Desktop. When you highlight your userid when logging in, go to the bottom and choose GNOME Classic instead of GNOME.
[Apr 29, 2011 10:24:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Yup, your tip is actually in the tweak list. Been using it to alternate between the Ubuntu and Kubuntu/KDE interfaces under 10.10

More tweaks for 11.04 Natty Narwhal, which btw finally fixed a 802.11N driver bug. Coupled with a power management - off switch

sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

it gives full speed web browsing which previously had multiple seconds delay with each new page load.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/10-things-...-installing-ubuntu-11-04/

and

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/the-omg-gu...t-have-indicator-applets/

Latter discusses 10 indicator applets to replace those lost with the removal of the old GNOME panel. The best to me is Caffeine, which allows the temporary suspension of ScreenSaver kick-In for when watching a Video or reading a longer text (WMP on Windows could be set to do that too). Many other goodies too, such as one to show CPU/Mem utilization.

Enjoy

--//--
[May 1, 2011 8:26:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Found an article on Natty Unity keyboard shortcuts http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/04/31-useful-ubuntu-1104-unity.html

Quite handy for speedier navigation AND got BURG to work again which it had not since Maverick, so my GRUB boot menu screen is again graphical, with a Da Vinci theme...

How to install Burg boot loader in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

many can be selected through preview from this gem of a program.

enjoy

--//--

PS, nothing brand new as the article heralds... been around for 6 months: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/burg-manager-1...-with-option-to.html#more
[May 5, 2011 7:42:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello, SekeRob,
I recently acquired a HD-less HP Pavilion 4core 2.8Ghz. Even though a replacement HD is ~$60usd, I decided to RETRY a bootable Ubuntu/WCG flash drive (original attempt was 2-3 incredibly intense days of frustration b4 I gave up).
I must have become wiser (or luckier!!) since the 1st attempt (1+yrs ago), because the laptop was up & running WCG on an Ubuntu (v9.10+updates:Karmic-Koala 10/2009) flash boot after 9hrs.

However.... my TOTAL lack of Ubun knowledge has left a plethora of questions.
FIRSTLY:
This is a 4cpu machine and should absolutely be the fastest of all 9 XP machines currently running.... but it isn't?!?!?!

First wu's run were CMD's which were "scorchingly" completed 66% faster than other machines. However with Clean Water, it's barely equal in completion time. I intend to test Proteome Folding/HCC/FAA next to compare times.

Major point:
My 1 core XP machines run ONE wu at a time... the dual core XP machines run TWO...
How come the 4cpu machine runs ONLY ONE at a time AND (at least with c4cw) only as fast as 1 & 2 core machines????

I have scowered all the Ubun pull down menus for a clue or "magic switch/check box", but to no avail.
The BOINC mgr is set to 100%cpu(s), 100% run time, 100% swap files(239Mb) and remaining (600+Mb) free space on the flash drive (4Gig Total less area for Ubun/swap leaves ~652Free).
My work que is set to 2days work (to snag any passing ddd2 wu's if they fly by...lol)

Any clues/suggestions to either find out:
(a) if all 4 processors are running (Ubun's system monitor says 100%),
(b) why only 1wu processing vs (my logic) 4wu's.
(c) Am I constrained because there is only 239Mb swap area and ~650Mb "free disk"
( 10gig Flashs are cheap enuf...can upgrade if necessary)

I'll tag this thread to check on your reply. I appreciate your time. Regards Ol43

(P.S. I read ALL the blogs on this thread & can honestly say I didn't understand 95% of what was said!I guess that's ok as long as -->YOU GUYS<-- know what it means, right!!! lol)
(P.P.S.- Can I mail this flash stick to someone & have it tweaked 2 the max? I've kinda proven to myself that a bootable flash/WCG is possible ....I guess the rest is to prove that a lean Ubun/NoHD is faster than a fat-arsed XP w/HD spinning 24/7!. [I'm an ex-Pro auto road racer--annnnnnd it's ALL about speed, you know!]
(P.P.P.S. I'm thoroughly convinced that Ubun/Flash will conserve electricity by eliminating HD's, but I'm NOT willing to convert the other machines to flash boot until I see that I can max all available cores.)
[May 5, 2011 2:29:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Not much happening on the Linux front page since Natty came alive. In a past post in this thread discussed the addition of right-click menu options to Nautilus, such as a full shred of a sensitive file, but here 31 ways to delete a file or a directory, to include content via terminal.

http://bashshell.net/commands/removing-files-in-linux-with-rm/

What caught my eye today was an article on btrfs file system that was added as "installation-supported" and apparently included with Maverick http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article...untu_1010_btrfs&num=1. Is anyone actually using this on a BOINC crunching machine? A speedtest that is rated 15.13 versus 10.17 or 175 v 165 for disk transactions of ext4 certainly has me interest and might peak some with other crunchers too.

Final snip:
The performance of Btrfs has certainly improved a great deal since it was first introduced in the mainline kernel back with the Linux 2.6.29 release in early 2009. Today's tests show that even with old hardware both when it comes to the processor and disk drive that even still Btrfs manages to perform well both with its default mount options and then again when taking advantage of the transparent compression support. Beyond the quantitative disk results, Btrfs also provides other advantages like with the system rollback support as being worked on in Fedora and solid state drive (SSD) optimizations. We are also exploring Btrfs in other ways at Phoronix to tie it into Phoromatic for some rather unique and interesting test capabilities.

It is good to see Canonical now pushing the Btrfs installation support into Ubuntu 10.10 after it has been available as an option in Fedora for more than a year now and is even the default file-system with MeeGo. For those interested in trying out this file-system, we certainly would recommend it and we look forward to its continued adoption.

Emphasis mine to include "system rollback support"!

Friday the 13th, and both my elbows are solidly leaning on that wooden desk, so me cant step in any cwap.

ttyl

--//--
[May 13, 2011 1:57:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Haven't been in Linux since May 17, when discovering that W7 was more efficient with Clean Water and Energy [on my setups], but certainly the interest has not waned and all the Natty upgraders having kernel 2.6.38.8 or up will be interested in the latest NVidia driver, if they've got a card of that brand. Version 270.41.19 with release notes:
    * Fixed a bug in the VDPAU presentation queue that could cause 1 second hangs when transitioning from
blit-based display to overlay- based display. This would most commonly happen when disabling a compositing manager.
* Fixed a bug that could cause crashes when capturing SDI video.
* Fixed a corner-case in which the OpenGL driver could leak resources in applications utilizing fork().
* Addressed a Linux kernel interface compatibility problem that could lead to ioremap() errors and, potentially,
functional and/or stability problems.
* Fixed a bug that caused SLI initialization to fail on some Intel based systems.
* Fixed a bug that caused SLI initialization to fail when using recent Linux kernels, such as 2.6.38.

[May 22, 2011 3:27:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

"Not much happening" I wrote a good week ago and here we are shortly after Natty, with some very interesting words on the just released 2.6.39 kernel, promising to ones more better the block-device data throughput performance. They'll have to.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Linux-2639-released/

Enjoy the read.

--//--
[May 22, 2011 6:08:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 581   Pages: 59   [ Previous Page | 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread