Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 177
Posts: 177   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 63815 times and has 176 replies Next Thread
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:
Re: Linux Only Beta Test

On checkpointing,
... after the first 2 they dried up... none more wrote since (10 minutes) though progress percent increments steadily.

I have just got the first one after the two initial ones... 40 minutes later at more than 8 %.

Regarding soft page faults that seems to be "medium" at 11-12k faults per second per task (3 running currently, one waiting to start).
----------------------------------------
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[May 28, 2010 9:40:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Sek,

The checkpoints should be fairly far between once you get past the first two. I believe the first two are just setting the states for the application. It was suggested that you leave application in memory as the check points will be few.

-Uplinger
[May 28, 2010 9:41:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Delighted to have mostly Linux machines on this project smile I managed to snag four on one of my quads and one on my single core laptop with all in progress. With nearly a half hour run time, they're all nearly 5% complete. [edit] I temporarily supended GPU work to see if that helps speed the Beta WU's time to completion [/edit]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at May 28, 2010 9:47:25 PM]
[May 28, 2010 9:42:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

the one started manually has interesting graphics.
Ah yes, lovely!
At last a new kind of graphics for those who like to show them. smile
[May 28, 2010 9:45:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Sek,

The checkpoints should be fairly far between once you get past the first two. I believe the first two are just setting the states for the application. It was suggested that you leave application in memory as the check points will be few.

-Uplinger

LAIM is standard on in me hosts prefs... too many opportunities build into BOINC to loose the progress such as pre-empting, though at least in the last few 6.10 versions the benchmark does not unload the sciences.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[May 28, 2010 9:48:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

The workunits are set to exit after 8 cpu hours and return the results if they have not completed.j

My first one has just passed 12.5 % with 1:00:07 CPU time (at 3.16 GHz).
It seems that I might miss its natural completion before the 8-hour limit by few seconds if it keeps that pace. crying

Edit: Or maybe/probably the percentage computation has already integrated the fact that it will be cut off.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JmBoullier at May 28, 2010 10:04:47 PM]
[May 28, 2010 10:01:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Given that the first one here at exactly 1 hour CPU time showed 12.5% too at 2.4 Ghz, think you need a whole lot faster device to get it to hit 100% of included XYZ "energies" or whatever the steps are called under Q.Chem.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[May 28, 2010 10:08:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Yes, the second one passed 12.5 % just the same: 1:00:00. smile
Anybody with a >4 GHz not-hyperthreaded proc?
[May 28, 2010 10:18:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

All 4 cores of my AMD 3.0 GHz machine completed about 10.2% of the WU at one hour but I suspect that might be due to the fact I had a GPU WU in progress concurrently for the first 25 minutes or so. What's interesting is my single core 1.6 GHz Centrino also completed 12.501% at exactly 1 hour.
[May 28, 2010 10:28:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pirogue
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I just had one finish. 2:17 on a 4.0GHz i7-980x. It's uploading now. The upload file is HUGE -- 33.429MB.

[May 28, 2010 10:55:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 177   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread