Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 54
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11589 times and has 53 replies Next Thread
sepmsk
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
[Help needed] Can't receive CEP Phase 2 tasks due to network bandwidth issue

Hello everyone,

have problems trying to receive CEP Phase 2 tasks. When Boinc tries to download a CEP2 task, it logs a networking error and doesn't download the task:

Message from server: The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 requires 128.00 kbps download bandwidth. Your computer has been measured at 95.59 kbps.

My current settings and measurements:
- Only CEP2 project has been chosen
- My Internet connection bandwidth (as measured using www.speedtest.net):
-- to the nearest Internet Exchange (Moscow Internet Exchange), 2 routing hops away: 86 Mbps download, 76 Mbps upload, 3 ms latency;
-- to another location (server at Boston, MA): 21 Mbps download, 5 Mbps upload, 135 ms latency.

I do not think my ISP limits bandwidth for the protocol used by Boinc. Given that there is more than enough networking bandwidth, I believe there is a problem with either bandwidth measurements, or with Internet connection of the project servers itself.

Could you please advice how to receive the tasks for the CEP2 Project?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sepmsk at Jul 3, 2010 9:25:50 AM]
[Jul 3, 2010 9:24:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: [Help needed] Can't receive CEP Phase 2 tasks due to network bandwidth issue

First fetch a few HPF2 and HCC jobs. That will pump up your download rate to above 128kBps aka 1Mbps, if you have the real bandwidth all across those hops to the WCG server.

Now had to resort twice to this trick, so forward on I'm running a 3 way mix. There's so much work, CEP2 is not going to run away anytime soon.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jul 3, 2010 9:33:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sepmsk
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:
Re: [Help needed] Can't receive CEP Phase 2 tasks due to network bandwidth issue

Thank you Sekerob! I'll do this and let you know on the results.
[Jul 3, 2010 9:40:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sepmsk
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:

Many thanks, Sekerob! I downloaded a task for HPF2, it pumped the bandwidth measurements up and Boinc received a couple of CEP2 tasks. Thank you!
[Jul 3, 2010 10:07:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
eviltoad
Senior Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

Wow, I've just had a taste of this annoyance. Three machines on the same LAN, on the same network switch.

The fastest one with a wired connection can't receive WUs because of this issue, and the slowest one which connects wirelessly gets them with no trouble.

*scratch head*

I've tried the workaround to download other projects but it didn't work, so maybe I didn't go far enough. Will try again.

[Jul 3, 2010 10:02:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Randzo
Senior Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

To try to modify the config lile ;-)
[Jul 3, 2010 10:30:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
txvb
Cruncher

BOINC doesn't differentiate between projects. It appears to average out the bandwidth stats from all of them.

I have a project that has very slow UL/DL's and it prevented me from getting any CEP2 units because my average xfer rate was too low (actual bandwidth is about 20 megabit down and 6-10 megabit up)

The easiest way to fix this is to clear out the historical data causing problems.

Request no new work units from any of your projects, after you submit all of your completed work, uninstall and delete the BOINC directory/folder from your computer (remove entirely), then reinstall and reconnect to WCG.

biggrin

[Jul 3, 2010 10:37:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

txyb,

There is a way to change the client_state.xml file under the net_stat field.

/var/lib/boinc-client/client_state.xml <-- example location if you install on ubuntu using synaptic package manager. I will hopefully write up something a little more detailed after the weekend is up.

-Uplinger
[Jul 3, 2010 10:48:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There has to be a better solution than all this.

I guess I don't quite get why I had no problem getting a whole pile of WUs at start, but not now. Even though my weekend bandwidth is better than during weekdays.
[Jul 3, 2010 10:50:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
eviltoad
Senior Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

That worked. Thanks. ;)

ETA: modified the config file, that is. :)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by eviltoad at Jul 3, 2010 10:57:42 PM]
[Jul 3, 2010 10:51:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread