Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 314
Posts: 314   Pages: 32   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 191017 times and has 313 replies Next Thread
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Windows Launch still July 17th?

Bart on Linux, "I didn't try them myself, but I read the install instructions and they look pretty straightforward".
So, was there a part in the instructions that said WCG on Boinc works, it's straightforward?
[Jul 20, 2010 11:22:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dividedbymyself
Cruncher
Project Badges:

The installation instruction of those packages are not about Boinc.
And TopologiLinux seems to be based on Slackware, and I've never tried that so I don't even know if there's a package manager built inside and if so, if there's a Boinc app built for it and what version (maybe I should have better not mentioned TopologiLinux). But andLinux installs Ubuntu. Installing Boinc on that is pretty easy, as I described one page earlier in this thread. The Linux GUI for Boinc is the same as for Windows, so there should be nothing new once you've got it running. And on my computer Ubuntu has no problems with CEP2 running in Boinc. Even though that's in VMWare, I wouldn't know why it wouldn't in andLinux.
Straightforward enough?

Bart
[Jul 21, 2010 1:04:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

Ok,
If there was no other way to run CEP2 I would do it,
or make one of my machines a linux box, thought about it
for some years now. But...since a win version is coming
out, I can play video games, go to school and think about
pulling weeds instead (and crunch many worthwhile projects
while I wait to POUNCE on some workunits)
----------------------------------------

[Jul 21, 2010 4:19:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

... and it will definitely not take weeks to get Boinc running in Linux ;)
Good luck,
Bart

Have a VM left over for CentOS? So, you're gonna help porting BOINC to EPEL? wink

Tnx mate, but some can't be convinced to even just try Linux. ( really, trying new stuff is fun! )

This thread could go on for a while, while I can spend my time better then being overzealous. Wasting my time on the less creative minds of this world, or trying to save this world from computer illiteracy.

In my mind, being able to handle more operating systems is a bit like being able to speak or understand more then just one language. It's literacy, and nice you have quite some of it, even want to share it. Bad luck for others, waiting for their workloads.
[Jul 21, 2010 6:35:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

First off, using VM ware slows the entire system down, so anyone using it may be able to run CEP2 but will be doing less work for WCG! The overhead is Windows + VM + Linux.
So I dont think it is sound advice to encourage people to crunch less, especially at this stage.
Secondly, VM ware is not for Windows novices never mind Linux newbies. VM ware comes with its own set of problems, and newbie Linux users don't need to deal with VM issues and Windows issues when trying to use Linux.
People that can run linux and want to, already run it, and not too many use VM ware.
Those that don't run linux, do not run it for a reason; they prefer another operating system.
If you must encourage newcomers to try Linux, encourage a fresh install of a recommended version that allows for the easy installation of Boinc and is known to be successful at running WCG.

While I am no Linux expert, I have used several versions including Ubuntu, Redhat, Susie and even BSD. Installation was always the easy bit. The problem is installing programs and drivers (it's a long way from windows and macs). I agree that for GUI fans, bashing at a command interface is like trying to decipher an unknown language.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skgiven at Jul 21, 2010 1:49:03 PM]
[Jul 21, 2010 9:18:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Warped@RSA
Senior Cruncher
South Africa
Project Badges:

If you can install and run BOINC, then WUBI is just as easy.

It is essentially a windows application and dead easy to use if all you want it for is crunching.
Dave

[Jul 21, 2010 2:17:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dividedbymyself
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Well, I'm a Linux and VMWare n00b myself and I'm no king of the command line either. When I need it, google is my best friend. But how deep you want to go into VMWare and Linux is for everyone themselves to determine, but the basics are plain simple as I described in my first "over-zealot" message in this thread ;) I do understand peoples fear for Linux, I've been there. But now I tried it, I see my fear wasn't based on reality. Now you can start filling peoples hearts with fear for geeky Linux again, but I think this is good for nothing and holds no water. All I'm trying to do is offer a temporary solution by showing people that really want to start crunching CEP2 while there's no Win-app yet that certain things, like installing K-/X-/Ubuntu on VMWare and Boinc is just as easy as installing Windows, things only work a little different. Of course I'm not talking about installing Gentoo from scratch here. And to those that, don't want to give it a go I have only one advice: Don't do it...

And as far as the efficiency of crunching on VMware concerned, it may slow down a little bit, but really not that much (as long as you have enough and assign it enough memory in the settings with the oh-so-easy slidebar). Otherwise I wouldn't be doing it, and certainly wouldn't be advocating it. And in a VMWare/Linux configuration there are no drivers to install, at least not over here. And if people who give a VMWare/Linux configuration a try are not happy with it, they're free to remove all of it from their machine again and continue the way they were crunching before. When there's a CEP2 app for Windows, I'll stop crunching this way anyway (but not stop looking into Linux).

And the WUBI thing again, it's going to create a dual-boot system, so you can't use it from inside Windows, so when WUBI is running, you can't use your Windows on that machine. For many people this will be not an option. Then people maybe better consider using andLiniux, but I already found out it only runs on x86 processors.

But to take away the burden of the installation of Linux and Boinc, I am willing to create a VMWare image with Boinc pre-installed, but I wouldn't know where to host it. So, any volunteers?

Bart
[Jul 21, 2010 3:02:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hey Kremmen, People who work really hard and provide excellent service do not appreciate insults.

And maybe people who provide their CPU cycles, internet bandwidth and power for free don't appreciate having bugs that were reported in beta being not only not fixed, but totally ignored.

Please explain what you mean by "sloppy". If there's something "sloppy" going on, we'll fix it.

How about a reply to one of several RC=0x4 bug threads then?
[Jul 21, 2010 10:07:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I am not sure why anyone considers anything on WCG to be "behind schedule" at all. This is a free resource they are offering to the scientific community. Any free resource will be over-utilized. For all I know, they should be doing less and saving on the electric bill. There is probably no way to compute the real-world value of this anyway in the research stage, fun though it may be for us to think that it is going to save the world. Or to put it another way, maybe the world would be better off if they spend six months more to get the science right rather than rush it out the door just to give the crunchers something to do with their PC's.

You sound so negative about all this so one may wonder: Why are you folding at all? Why are you here? Why dont you become a money donator instead if you dont believe in folding? confused

I think you need some reading comprehension help. What is negative about WCG in what I said? I was criticizing the notion that there is some sort of development "schedule", as though it were a Microsoft product. The economics are different when you are giving the service away free to whomever wants it. Of course the developers will be overloaded in that case.
[Jul 21, 2010 10:26:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

But to take away the burden of the installation of Linux and Boinc, I am willing to create a VMWare image with Boinc pre-installed, but I wouldn't know where to host it. So, any volunteers?

Bart
Some Linux sites might be interested, but there would be little point doing it for this time limited occasion. If the Boinc developers think it is worth while they might help you test it and host it. You could ask here, http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/index.php If not you might want to try some other General crunching forums. You would probably need to create a 32bit and a 64bit version, to keep everyone happy. System requirements and limitations would need to be laid out, and performance tested on many systems.
[Jul 21, 2010 10:58:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 314   Pages: 32   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread