Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8479 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
new sizes of WUs

We will be testing two beta's over the next few days. These should run longer than previous work units. beta3 should run for about 4 hours on average and beta4 should run for about 8 hours on average.

We will be releasing 5,000 work units running zero redundancy for each beta.

Thanks,
-Uplinger

Based on uplinger's post, it looks like they are hoping to increase the size of the WUs. 4 hrs is about double what the current WU are taking, and 8 hrs is 4 times. personally, I would prefer something the 4 hr WU (would take 5 hrs on most of my system) or the current 2 hr WU (takes 2.5 hrs for most of my systems). I really don't like super long WU (well unless it takes forever to download new ones).

My guess is that all of these little WU is causing some problems for their scheduler/feeder.

What are your opinions?
----------------------------------------

[Aug 24, 2010 9:04:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Re: new sizes of WUs

Not causing any issues with the scheduler or feeder. Reason for increasing the size is to provide different answers for the researchers. Work units for this project will most likely run similar length for each individual target. Meaning right now target01 runs about 2.25 hours. Target02 may take about 4 hours...etc, etc...

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Aug 24, 2010 9:10:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The "8 hours on average" WUs could be a problem for older (P-II, P-III) and slower (Atom) CPUs. The beta test will tell.
[Aug 24, 2010 9:17:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

I see, thx uplinger.

[Aug 24, 2010 9:31:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

What are your opinions?
Opinions I suppose. If anyone's devices are OK to crunch HFCC/FAAH/HCMD2 etc then these size cuts are good and it's what the scientists need in first order.

Atoms are not made for crunching, it's a bonus if they happen to be able to run these tasks as are PII/PIII, which unless actually used by the owner are really due for retirement from an energy efficiency perspective. In the end, the one question that WCG will have to ask themselves is whom they want to reach in the eastern Hemisphere of the planet after the Wroldwide announcement. This once more bringing the question to the fore of power targeted work unit sizing and distribution. No idea what's cooking in that area.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 24, 2010 10:13:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread