Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9913 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
cw64
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Specific CPU/GPU usage

Milkyway@Home have a nice option to not send any CPU WU's to my PC leaving it free for WCG. Are there any other projects with this option?
Failing that, is it possible to specify CPU/GPU (non)usage specific to each project in BOINC?
----------------------------------------

[Aug 25, 2010 2:11:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Specific CPU/GPU usage

GPUGrid, Milkyway, Einstein, DNETC, Collatz to name a few. peace

[Aug 25, 2010 2:18:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Not sure if the latest BOINC clients have advanced to separate debt systems for CPU and GPU. In that case, you can play the weights/resource share. Set WCG to 10000 and other projects to for instance 100. Then your GPU would still run those projects, but the CPU would pretty much give all the time to WCG, if that were the plan.

Come to think, currently weights on projects can be set to zero, so only work would be fetched from these 'backup' projects if WCG has no work at all for the selected sciences. If you then select the "if there is no work for... give me other WCG work", it's pretty much only when WCG is really down.

WCG is working on bringing the server and client up to latest BOINC levels, so any currently missing options of regular BOINC projects should be available then. Think the latest on that was October.

probably a too much information reply.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 25, 2010 2:56:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cw64
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Seems Milkyway and Collatz are the only 2 that support ATI atm, so bit of a moot point.
I do recall reading config settings to specify CPU/GPU usage but I don't think it was project specific.

[Aug 25, 2010 3:18:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Yes, it's broadline GPU exclusion as pretty much the only control. You find setting in this WIKI.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Cc_config.xml

That leaves the mentioned project weight / resource share game as an option.
[Aug 25, 2010 3:27:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

Seems Milkyway and Collatz are the only 2 that support ATI atm, so bit of a moot point.
I do recall reading config settings to specify CPU/GPU usage but I don't think it was project specific.

I am strickly nVidia. Yes, nVida is predominate now even though ATI is more efficient. There is not much for Fermi yet but hopefully more apps will be compiled under CUDA 3.x. Most projects that offer both CPU and GPU allow you to select either one or the other or both. There is not much left that allows single precision cards.

I have a GTX470 Fermi on the workbench right now that is causing me to say words that my mother did not teach me. Win7 will not map memory on startup. I am still learning even with 12 other cards running. confused

GPU crunching is still in the real of the wild west. Not for the fainthearted but interesting and frustrating at the same time.

Keep up the good work cw64. peace

[Aug 25, 2010 3:39:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Not sure if the latest BOINC clients have advanced to separate debt systems for CPU and GPU. In that case, you can play the weights/resource share. Set WCG to 10000 and other projects to for instance 100. Then your GPU would still run those projects, but the CPU would pretty much give all the time to WCG, if that were the plan.

Nvidia-cards had separate debths in v6.6.xx, and Ati's also has this in v6.10.xx.

But, much better in this instance is to use the Project-specific preferences that will show-up the moment a BOINC-project adds a GPU-app to their selection. If it's a Nvidia-app, you should get "Use Nvidia" and "Use CPU" as choises, there the default is CPU selected and Nvidia deselected. If it's an Ati-app, you'll get "Use Ati" and "Use CPU", and if you've got both Nvidia and Ati-apps you'll get all 3.

The only weakness with the current setup is that CPU-only projects can't specifically set "No Nvida" and "No Ati" for all users, and by this disable work-requests for Nvidia and Ati...

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Aug 25, 2010 11:19:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Oh boy, computing for the masses (of PhDs). Looking forward to what gets hidden in that new notifier screen. Many do not seem at all to be happy to see the message tab disappear from the 'Advanced' view... why else did WCG do the 'Simple' view? It would irk me if I had paid for the development of that interface. Hahaha, let's start a "Give Me Back my Message Tab" petition.

Think now its time for a 'deca' (yes that's the new turbo word heard in the coffee bar for decaffeinated) :K
[Aug 25, 2010 11:36:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pramo
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

<snip>
Many do not seem at all to be happy to see the message tab disappear from the 'Advanced' view... why else did WCG do the 'Simple' view? It would irk me if I had paid for the development of that interface. Hahaha, let's start a "Give Me Back my Message Tab" petition.
</snip>

Latest I'm running is 6.10.58, where does the message tab disappear?
Also, where do I sign?

[Aug 25, 2010 11:55:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

<ot> 6.12 it's gone and moving to the Advanced menu and then be called "Event Log" and quite a few have expressed there view/opinion on the Alpha mail list and Berkeley support forums (which high and low their moderator insists is not read by the developers unless polled by him).

Fortunately it does not affect me personally too much... more steps to walk through in support is what I think is the consequence. Running BOINCTasks app anyhow, frequently updated to be able to support all client versiosn and you can always retain the 6.10.58 Manager when the time is there</ot>
[Aug 25, 2010 12:04:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread