Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 54
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 53482 times and has 53 replies Next Thread
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Which Linux is best?

After having seen a few performance stats between Windows 7 and Linux OS versions it seems that Linux is more performant the hardware being the same. At least Sek has convinced me about that, enough to give it a try, and check by myself.

I will build a new rig that will have one of my recycled Intel i7 950 (at 3.5 Ghz) which is just sitting there waiting.
The rig will be dedicated to WCG crunching exclusively, and will connect by wireless Lan. And btw I will be able to crunch a little for CEP2.

I am a complete Linux illiterate so my question to you here is what should I get for a Linux OS. Any advice or comment is welcome.
----------------------------------------

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Hypernova at Sep 13, 2010 4:21:15 PM]
[Sep 13, 2010 4:15:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Which Linux is best?

HI Hypernova,

Most recent discussion was Best Linux Package: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/...ead,28447_offset,0#271182

I think Ubuntu is easy enough and the Lucid Lynx, soon Maverick Meerkat 10.10 is the choice for me. Now running for about 4.5 months. It's most supported and the platform that the Berkeley developers put the packages on for testing.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Sep 13, 2010 5:22:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

Thanks Sek, I forgot that thread.

[Sep 13, 2010 5:38:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

After having seen a few performance stats between Windows 7 and Linux OS versions it seems that Linux is more performant the hardware being the same. At least Sek has convinced me about that, enough to give it a try, and check by myself.

I will build a new rig that will have one of my recycled Intel i7 950 (at 3.5 Ghz) which is just sitting there waiting.
The rig will be dedicated to WCG crunching exclusively, and will connect by wireless Lan. And btw I will be able to crunch a little for CEP2.

I am a complete Linux illiterate so my question to you here is what should I get for a Linux OS. Any advice or comment is welcome.

If you're looking to run Linux solely as a dedicated cruncher I highly recommend Dotsch/UX I use it on USB drives for everything except CEP2. I run that on HDDs.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Sep 13, 2010 9:22:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ubuntu. I run Ubuntu Studio for the audio suite, but any version will do you well for you.

@ Nanoprobe - Thanks for the link on Dotsch/UX... I'm going to have to check that one out. cool
[Sep 14, 2010 5:57:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

it depends on what you want a computer to do
eg. multi purpose or a specific task
there are hundreds of versions of linux - many dedicated to specific tasks/languages - there are many more that are general purpose each of these can be loaded with software to to do many tasks
on top of all that there are many type of window management - eg KDE, Gnome, Flux, Enlightenment, Xfce to name a few.

so in short what do you want a computer to do?

you are on the right track at least with linux as opposed to windoze say - because anything you can do with windoze you can by and large do better with linux and usually for free and never having to support a giant corporation with its microsoft tax.
also most popular websites you might visit on the web are in fact linux based servers

fellow WCG members forgive my bias - generally thinking people use linux and non-thinkers use windoze - hence the nickname - although anyone who runs world community grid software though is obviously a thinking and caring person - linux and windoze alike

if you must, you can dual-boot and have both

this machine that i'm working with currently is running PCLinux - they have about 8 currently supported versions and each of those has about a dozen languages, and this is by no means unique
http://www.pclinuxos.com/
[Sep 20, 2010 11:16:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

it depends on what you want a computer to do
eg. multi purpose or a specific task
there are hundreds of versions of linux - many dedicated to specific tasks/languages - there are many more that are general purpose each of these can be loaded with software to to do many tasks
on top of all that there are many type of window management - eg KDE, Gnome, Flux, Enlightenment, Xfce to name a few.

... and none of these names is very enlightening...

so in short what do you want a computer to do?

you are on the right track at least with linux as opposed to windoze say - because anything you can do with windoze you can by and large do better with linux and usually for free and never having to support a giant corporation with its microsoft tax.
also most popular websites you might visit on the web are in fact linux based servers

fellow WCG members forgive my bias - generally thinking people use linux and non-thinkers use windoze - hence the nickname - although anyone who runs world community grid software though is obviously a thinking and caring person - linux and windoze alike

An "excellent" way to get windows-users to try Linux is by calling it "windoze" and "non-thinkers" and so on. sleep

if you must, you can dual-boot and have both

Not a very good way if you're running CEP2 with maybe 2 hours between checkpoints...

this machine that i'm working with currently is running PCLinux - they have about 8 currently supported versions and each of those has about a dozen languages, and this is by no means unique
http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Hmm, is this 32-bit or 64-bit?

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Sep 21, 2010 7:34:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

What is best and what is lightest and what combines both:

Preview: Debian 6 "Squeeze" (Part 3: LXDE and Xfce)
http://dasublogbyprashanth.blogspot.com/2010/...-squeeze-part-3-lxde.html

Think I saw Xfce being mentioned some days ago when I asked what Xubuntu was, so this may have interest to those already familiar with this interface.
[Oct 13, 2010 7:29:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

For those who want to pursue being to stuck to the (USB) stick, this is a pretty important element:

What's The Fastest Linux Filesystem On Cheap Flash Media?
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/7208/1/
[Oct 26, 2010 6:38:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
trn-XS
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

I find the best way to run linux (most any distro) as a dedicated and cruncher is to:

- Pick a linux without X and desktop environments.

- Pick a linux with good enough package support for boinc and general libs. Ubuntu Server is good, a debian install would be good too, I use Archlinux on half my linux crunchers and Ubuntu Server on the other half.

- Install a minimal install of linux, with openssh (and start sshd daemon) no setup required on ubuntu server.

- use putty to ssh into the terminal for Linux admining, use your package manager apt-get or Pacman or whatever to download boinc and the 32bit libs.

- edit the boinc config files found in directories that will be named similar to /var/lib/boinc or /var/lib/boinc-client. Edit "remote hosts.cfg" to include the IP of your windows desktop machine. Edit "gui_rpc_auth.cfg" (sp) and pick an easy password.

- use the boinc manager on your windows computer (or boinc view for monitoring) and connect to the linux cruncher. With the manager go to 'advanced > select computer' and enter the ip and password and boinc manager will remotely connect to your Linux cruncher and connect to projects and set the prefernces.

- leave your dedicated linux cruncher to do its thing... crunch.

That sounds more complicated than it is, but once you do it once its less than 5 minutes of configuring files and this way you don't have to screw around with X and WM's in Linux which are the weakest link and most problematic elements of Linux. Also without X or a WM or even boinc manager running on the cruncher less resources will be used by the Linux system. Use ssh and package management to update your system or do any other admin work.

[Oct 27, 2010 2:36:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread