Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 21
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 37629 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Anyone know the secret of getting a Wifi Dongle to work in Windows 7?

I know this is the place where the geniuses live so here's hoping

I have been trying to get a wifi dongle (I now have 2) to work in Windows 7 so I can upload all those results from my lean green crunching machine

So far I have tried 2 dongles and 2 routers and will Windows 7 make a connection....not on your life

I have trawled the Internet and I made the various suggested tweaks to the registry, switched off IPv6, Disabled Power Management, Switched off the topology discovery protocols. Moved to WEP even trying to connect unsecured! Each time the promise of success, each time Windows 7 can see the SSID and offers up the possibility to enter the encryption password so they are working OK and the latest drivers are installed.

Result..... nothing crying

Same dongles in XP 10 seconds later smurfing

back in Win 7 zip

Anyone know the secret setting to making Wifi work in Windows 7?

By the way the answer is not Lucid Lynx or Maverick Meerkat (not simples) smile

I'm going bald

Help!

Dave
----------------------------------------

[Sep 15, 2010 9:43:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Anyone know the secret of getting a Wifi Dongle to work in Windows 7?

David, why don't you add to your help call by volunteering to offer the hardware/firmware level data of the wifi stuff... that gives those who've dealt with your problem an actual correlative reference.

--Johnny 5
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Sep 15, 2010 10:49:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Lets not start again Sek there's nothing wrong with the hardware or it's firmware it's entirely Windows 7 that is the issue and it's "get your hands off" approach to supporting networking

[Sep 15, 2010 11:38:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Whatever the "get your hands off" comment is meant to be, but it has a rather hostile tone to it. I'm here and made a suggestion but let me give you an analogy: I've got 2 dongles of the "nothing wrong with the hardware" class. One works when booting into W7 and the other works when booting into Linux. The other way around they don't.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Sep 15, 2010 12:13:59 PM]
[Sep 15, 2010 12:05:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have noticed with WIndows 7 and Wifi for my 1 computer at least the wifi as to be installed prior to boot-up and has problem if you try to plug and play it once already booted up. works just fine for my 1 windows vista machine if i boot with the wifi already attached though

[Sep 15, 2010 12:20:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

That's indeed a good observation. One trouble faced was to get to establish a connect and keeping it that the anthropomorphic design of the house bounced signal around in such ways that there were small pockets where signal was not strong enough to get through the handshaking cycle, so got a booster antenna which after walking around in the classic way to find the optimal and then wired it in place so no one sees it. Edit: receipt read out strength is now constant 85% or better.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Sep 15, 2010 12:43:11 PM]
[Sep 15, 2010 12:38:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
captainjack
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

On my Windows 7 box, the wireless adapter would not work if I installed the device drivers from the manufacturer (Linksys).

I had to install the adapter when the machine was shut down and there were no device drivers installed. Then boot up the machine and let Windows install it's generic wireless drivers. Then the wireless adapter worked fine.
[Sep 15, 2010 1:06:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Yes, that's what happened on the last scratch full dual boot install of W7-64 and Linux Lucid 64. It just went and ran without my intervention on Windows. Then when booting in with the second dongle... nothing. Still not interchangeable between the 2 platforms.
[Sep 15, 2010 1:53:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi David Autumns,

I had a network problem just last week. I doubt that my experience will be useful . . . but here it is anyway. laughing

I changed my firewall several times, trying to find a free one that worked well. (I settled for PC Tools Free Firewall.) Unfortunately, I managed to mess up my network connection and forgot how I had set it up the previous year. I KNEW how I had done it! (Yeah, I was misremembering and dead wrong - - sigh.) I quickly grew frustrated and gave up. After several days, I called Belkin the customer service representative and obeyed his instructions, deleting the Belkin software and reinstalling it. I gave the service agent the wrong information, believing it was right. Even so, he stubbornly insisted that I needed to check the router software, not the Belkin dongle utilities. I thanked him when we decided we had reached an impasse. A few minutes later, thinking about his argument, I started looking over the Cisco router utility, suddenly remembered what I had done the previous year, and quickly set up my network connection.

But I am sure that this is not helpful. However, there was one peculiar problem when I reinstalled the Belkin software. I can no longer remember the exact sequence of events, but I had to do 2 things. 1) I had to unplug the dongle and replug it to get the Belkin USB device driver attached to the dongle. 2) In Windows XP, I had to right-click on My Computer, right-click on Manage in the pop-up window, double-click on the Computer Management - System Tools - Device Manager, then I expanded the 'Network Adapters' listing looking for Belkin **** under it to select, but it was not there. Eventually I saw the very next subheading was 'Other Adapters' had a device named F5D***, which by then I knew was the Model Number of the Belkin Adapter. I clicked on it (?right-click? double-click? ) and got a pop-up saying that it was disabled. I selected the Enable command, and the pop-up window changed to show 'Belkin F5D***' under the Network Adapters. Not having Belkin in the name when it was listed under 'Other Adapters' certainly slowed me down for a few minutes.

I doubt that this will prove helpful, but it was a minor puzzle that stumped me for 10 minutes or so.

Lawrence
[Sep 15, 2010 6:20:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Cheers I'm going to try the complete uninstall. Run Ccleaner and then just let windows do it's thing

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks folks. Even it if this isn't a success it's a problem shared

[Sep 15, 2010 7:10:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread