Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 92
Posts: 92   Pages: 10   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 47697 times and has 91 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Clean Energy Project phase 2 Mac and Windows Released

Do these read/write numbers look right (right two columns, in bytes)? My HD really gets hammered at the start, especially when multiples start at the same time.

Including the startup, the 3 running tasks have read/written about 11 GB in the last half hour or so.
[Nov 25, 2010 5:47:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

That's nomal, CEP2 has high disk usage.
[Nov 25, 2010 10:58:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

OK, I finally have my new drive setup complete. Physically, I have 3 1.5 TB drives. Using Intel's Matrix Storage, I have a 1.5 TB RAID-5 volume for data and a 2 TB RAID-0 volume for a scratch disk, to which I've moved the BOINC data directory. Write-back cache is enabled on both drives. I could not believe how fast a new CEP2 block initialized on that drive. It probably took 3 seconds (maybe less) until the % meter started climbing. With this new setup, I am back to 6 simultaneous units on my Core i7 with HT. Disk access issues should be a thing of the past.

If anyone is wondering how to move the data dir, just kill the BOINC process, create the new data dir, set permissions, move everything over, then do a search in the registry for C:\ProgramData\BOINC and replace that with your new data dir. Start BOINC and it should pick right back up in the new directory.
[Dec 7, 2010 1:37:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi,
I am losing computation time when the boinc client is suspended or the PC is rebooted. Today, 5 hours computation time disappeared.
Looking at the very long computation time needed for clean energy the task will be stumpled back many times...
[Sep 20, 2011 5:25:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KWSN - A Shrubbery
Master Cruncher

This project has some rather long checkpoint intervals. Setting your profile to "leave applications in memory when suspended" will keep you from losing time when the client is suspended. A reboot will take it back to the previous checkpoint.

The only other recourse is to check the progress of the work unit before suspending or rebooting and wait until it has recently finished a checkpoint.

Good luck.
----------------------------------------

Distributed computing volunteer since September 27, 2000
[Sep 20, 2011 6:38:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
l_mckeon
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

This project has some rather long checkpoint intervals. Setting your profile to "leave applications in memory when suspended" will keep you from losing time when the client is suspended. A reboot will take it back to the previous checkpoint.

The only other recourse is to check the progress of the work unit before suspending or rebooting and wait until it has recently finished a checkpoint.

Good luck.

I don't crunch this project because of its unfriendly habits, but would Hibernate work?
[Sep 20, 2011 11:01:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello lochner,
I am losing computation time when the boinc client is suspended or the PC is rebooted. Today, 5 hours computation time disappeared.
Looking at the very long computation time needed for clean energy the task will be stumpled back many times...

This can be an irritating project. You absolutely need to select 'Leave Application In Memory When Suspended' in your profile. If you need to reboot or power-down daily, I suggest you run other projects than this one.

The idea is to be happy about the contribution you are making to science. Avoid anything that frustrates you.

Lawrence
[Sep 21, 2011 2:10:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BoincST
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Good luck.

I don't crunch this project because of its unfriendly habits, but would Hibernate work?

Yes, that works.
[Sep 21, 2011 6:12:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dear lochner,
yes, the CEP2 checkpointing intervals are rather long, but LAIM in combination with hybernation/sleep rather than shutdown will bypass this problem. If those are no viable options for you, then you may indeed be happier with crunching another project. We are very sorry about that, but at the end of the day you should contribute in a way which is satisfying for you.
Best wishes
Your Harvard CEP team
[Sep 21, 2011 2:47:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nittany85
Cruncher
United States of America
Project Badges:

I have been aware of the long time intervals between checkpoints but my machine is currently working on a job that has not had a checkpoint for almost 11 hours of CPU time. This seems a bit extreme and is much longer than the 4-6 hour intervals that I have seen in the past.

Is this job an exception to the rule or is this a trend that we will be seeing in the future?

The workunit name is E203204_104_C.27.C22H15NOSSi2.005875551.1set1d06.
[Sep 27, 2011 11:55:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 92   Pages: 10   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread