Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 1840
Posts: 1840   Pages: 184   [ Previous Page | 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 379729 times and has 1839 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Research Log: Updates from the Harvard Team

I sure hope we make progress. A plastic cell would be awesome, I mean think of it, a solar cell that is flexible and shapable into pretty much anything you need. Think of the uses, the back of your laptop is a power plant, when you are not using it, the sunlight or office light from your desk is helping charge up the battery again. On a boat, something that can be encapsulated into a polymer or clear coated, shaped to the boat, walked on, and NOT break, yet, keep the power up for your batteries, radios etc. For emergency power, something that 'truly' can be rolled or folded up, and back out again w/o damage. A power plant that has thousands of yards of plastic sheet solar panels producing power, hurricane on the way, no problem, just roll them up and store them until the storm passes..

I can wait 5 years and when it does finally happen, Ill be proud to say, I helped make this possible. Id also like a sample of your first prototype to test out too :D

Hey, it can't hurt to ask heh.

Aaron
[Jan 13, 2011 10:51:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

We had our now monthly phone-conference with the IBM/WCG team on Wednesday and discussed ideas that have come up in the forum to improve CEP2. Thanks for all your feedback and input!
[Jan 14, 2011 6:29:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dear Aaron,
you are absolutely correct - the potential of plastic solar cells is quite exciting. The flexibility and versatility you mentioned can really make this a game changer technology. There is actually even research into sprayable/paintable solar cell polymers. The other important aspect is the cost - if there is one thing chemists know how to do it's how to cheaply mass produce plastics. And the expensive production of silicon-based cells has so far been the Achilles' heel of photovoltaic energy production.
But again, it's important to remind everyone that there are still hard problem to overcome (otherwise we would already have plastic cells everywhere) - but scientists love tough challenges.

Best wishes from

Your Harvard CEP team

P.S. There are a couple of small companies like Konarka or Solarmer who already sell plastic solar cells (not very efficient ones yet) for toy applications. You should check out their webpage!
http://www.konarka.com/
http://www.solarmer.com/
[Jan 14, 2011 6:53:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Interesting about the sprayable/paintable, as the latter was in the news some 1.5-2 years ago. Cant remember if Standford or MIT, but these guys had developed a paint that if applied to regular solar panels was dramatically increasing their performance. They were thinking then to be able to bring it to market within a few years. One more company as a spin off from University Research... which I'm fine with, as else some of this stuff would never get to fruition.

--//--
[Jan 14, 2011 7:03:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Has anyone looked into possibly a polarization surface on the panels. Fringe afffect, when it's a cloudy day, when the sun comes out from behind a cloud, that few moments it happens, the amps surge a TON on my array. What is happening to the light to cause that surge? It's not brighter than full uncloudy sunlight, and no the panels are not that much cooler that temp derating is causing it to look that way to that extreme extent? Possibly if plastics could help 're create' that effect it might help them be more efficient?

sorry just rambling here, you are the experts, im just an obsessive AE hobbyist. I like to always run a bunch of 'what if's through my head. it keeps me sane... or does it? :D

Aaron
[Jan 14, 2011 11:04:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

We just sent out a computing-time grant proposal to TeraGrid (the big cyberinfrastructure of the National Science Foundation) as another complementary resource for more demanding CEP2 calculations which cannot be performed on the World Community Grid. Thanks to Sule for all the hard work that went into this proposal, and let’s keep our fingers crossed that we are successful with this.
https://www.teragrid.org/
[Jan 16, 2011 6:24:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If you are approved by TeraGrid, is that the 'next step' thing for all the computations we have been doing, or is it going to replace what you have been doing here in your latter phases? Unless I missed something, it doesn't appear that TeraGrid is a DC type project much.

Im just curious what our role will be once you get to that point.

Thank you
Aaron
[Jan 17, 2011 2:56:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi Aaron,
no, TeraGrid is basically a big high-performance cluster - if we are awarded time there we can do calcs which are too big or too demanding for DC on WCG. So it is not a replacement but a complement to WCG, i.e., we get additional work done which couldn't be done on the grid. But WCG will remain the centerpiece of CEP2 and carry the bulk of work.

BTW: We have asked a colleague who is more knowledgeable on Si-based cells, but your observation above does not seem to have an obvious explanation. Does the power, current, or both surge, and can you put numbers on it (i.e., make 'TON' more specific)?

Best wishes from
Your Harvard CEP team
[Jan 17, 2011 1:45:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Capn John
Cruncher
smile Re: Research Log: Updates from the Harvard Team

Thanks for the update and the encouragement: I look forward to seeing the concrete results of our labours...
[Jan 17, 2011 2:39:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

We are currently beta-testing out whether a change from HTTP to HTTPS improves some of the upload performance issues people reported. IBM has made some positive experience with this strategy in the past, as it appears to alleviate firewall bottlenecks on the ways through the ISPs.

P.S. Don't forget that you can get these updates on facebook as well - Please 'Like' us if you like us. biggrin
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Harvard-Clean-Energy-Project/174883049191931
[Jan 17, 2011 4:50:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 1840   Pages: 184   [ Previous Page | 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread