Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1142 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Just thinking "Why haven't I tried this Ubuntu malarky before!!"

10.10 Ubuntu

If you are ever thinking I could get a cheap copy of windows for that laptop and get it crunching again

stop talk to the hand

Take yourself to www.ubuntu.com and download the free iso. Blast that onto a CD
Install in laptop answer the handful of questions and 10 mins later.....

A whole new world shock

but first click on the Ubuntu Software Centre and install BOINC when you have attached this to the World Community Grid project and downloaded your first set of work units

Then continue biggrin

I write this in Google Chrome after not one trouble with any drivers - all my hardware works and it connects with my printer -no effort required

As I say "Why haven't I tried this Ubuntu marlarky before!!"

My poor old netbook which has travelled the world with me over the last 18 months is showing it's age - the hard drive heads have crashed into the drive platters more times than is good for them beat up
I've treated it to a new keyboard so now my delete key works again so next up a cheap SSD and Ubuntu 10.10 and it will be back in the game - this time with the OS that kicked off the netbook craze.

If you haven't tried Linux in awhile take a new look it's no way as scary as it used to be

Dave
----------------------------------------

[Nov 20, 2010 6:21:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:
Re: Just thinking "Why haven't I tried this Ubuntu malarky before!!"

If you haven't tried Linux in awhile take a new look it's no way as scary as it used to be

I've tried linux several times, but there has always been some device I haven't been able to get to work. Tried 10.04 LTS three weeks ago and after the installation, I haven't had any serious problems. Of course for some programs you still need Windows, but Ubuntu feels much lighter when just used for necessary daily activities.

Haven't looked at "All Programs" folder in any OS for a while. So today I accidentally started browsing Ubuntu's applications and found amazing gbrainy. That made me wonder, does Windows users still have to settle with that Minesweeper? biggrin
to infinity and beyond

[Nov 20, 2010 7:35:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ebattleon
Cruncher
Project Badges:

You guys have not begun to explore to wonders of Linux and Ubuntu in Particular. There are few if any programs for windows that Linux does not have a capable equivalent and most times for free:)
Also it seems that for Intel fans hyper-threading works faster in Linux as well:)
[Nov 20, 2010 8:06:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Just remember to use a x64 Linux version; for crunching, x64 operating systems are usually faster than x86 (32bit) versions.
[Nov 21, 2010 5:14:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

"You guys have not begun to explore to wonders of Linux and Ubuntu in Particular"

too true and now is the time to find out. So far only Oovoo doesn't have it's Linux equivalent but Skype is there. It's making XP look like a troublesome toy OS.

I have repaired this Laptop for one of my nieces and XP is on it's way to be installed before I return it to her. Beginning to think I might be robbing her of an opportunity if I do reinstall XP

All kinds of interesting programs available to expand your horizon's in Ubuntu Software Centre

Been looking at the 3D Globe today when I spotted this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manicouagan_Reservoir

That looks like a crater.......

There's a thing I wasn't aware of yesterday

[Nov 21, 2010 7:51:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

All kinds of interesting programs available to expand your horizon's in Ubuntu Software Centre

Been looking at the 3D Globe today when I spotted this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manicouagan_Reservoir

That looks like a crater.......

There's a thing I wasn't aware of yesterday

[ot]There are 4 good sized craters like Manicouagan in Canada. Very Cool!
I like snooping around Google Earth and other satellite imagery trying to find impact craters. I recently found this and am confused on what it could be.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.775...0.026157&t=h&z=16
Teeny tiny impact craters? laughing I doubt it but it is strange. May have to take a day and drive out there to see it for myself. [/ot]
Oh yeah your right, Windows is a troublesome toy. I'm responsible to 600+ XP workstations at work and we are constantly trying to get management --> nerd to move off Windows. I swear they are paid-off, brainwashed or just stupid.
[Nov 21, 2010 8:09:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

By default, the Ubuntu CD is a live CD. It doesn't install unless you tell it to. You can try out nearly anything without changing your machine. I have been using Linux for years. Dump Windoze!
[Nov 22, 2010 2:16:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

I think Ubuntu is probably the easiest to use and has the best support, but I have only tried about 5 or 6 flavours of Linux and it's been a while since I looked at red hat and a couple of others.
[Nov 23, 2010 11:29:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GB033533
Senior Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Really liking the enthusiasm for Ubuntu! Maybe you've inspired me to be brave enough to try it on my next home computer....

[Nov 23, 2010 3:20:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

Maybe you've inspired me to be brave enough to try it on my next home computer....

Next time you need to reinstall your windows, take a vacation from it for one full week. New OS always needs some time to get familiar with.

For me, the L-badge in my sig was meant to represent a trip out of familiar. Now I'm starting to see it like some marketing campaign.. biggrin
to infinity and beyond

[Nov 23, 2010 11:03:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread