Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2322 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Task Priorities

When I select 'Show Active Tasks' I get a list of the four tasks I am running. There are about 20 other tasks that are in varying stages of completion and 'Waiting To Run' Can someone explain to me why new tasks are starting before others finish? They are all due on the same date.
[Dec 3, 2010 6:17:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Task Priorities

tomich, what is your cache size set at? If you are running a lot of HCC WUs and your cache size is set close to 7 days (the deadline for HCC), then it will force WUs to high priority. and if a lot of WUs go high priority, boinc may switch between them.
----------------------------------------

[Dec 3, 2010 6:31:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

So what you're saying is that if I select 10 days, which I believe is the max, this should eliminate the problem? Or am I "still' confused here?
[Dec 3, 2010 6:51:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

.....confused! Set it much LOWER, say 1.5 days, that will sort it!
[Dec 3, 2010 7:11:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Atlantis555
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:

tomich, what is your cache size set at? If you are running a lot of HCC WUs and your cache size is set close to 7 days (the deadline for HCC), then it will force WUs to high priority. and if a lot of WUs go high priority, boinc may switch between them.

Then, the next question is why boinc switches between'em instead of finishing'em one after another?
[Feb 18, 2011 6:53:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

That ''puzzling'' behaviour is being revised, debated, revised, debated and revised more with the currently developed 6.12 client. Presently, BOINC 6.10 appears to compute a HP result for a while, determines it's going to be okay, then finds that another result slipped into deadline thread, so switches again and again and if lots of projects have this and LAIM is on or off, more memory is eaten and it ever getting worse, and all because of high caching and substantially variable run times. Those that do non-deterministic calculations just cant be accurately TTC projected. Just the last day, the quad with 2.5 day cache inflated to almost 8 days because 1 task took 3 times longer than estimated. BOINC assumes all following tasks will also run 3 times longer. Would that device have had HCC in the queue the s$%t would have hit the fan, but they were not, so in about 20 further tasks the cache normalized again. In that the solution offered is simple as offered by Scribe: Set that cache to 1-1.5 days and there's virtually no chance of this situation developing in the first place.

Happy crunching.

edit: 3x, not 4

LAIM= Leave Application in Memeory (When pre-empted)
TTC = (remaining estimated) Time to Completion
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 18, 2011 7:26:50 PM]
[Feb 18, 2011 7:23:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Atlantis555
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:

To Sekerob.

I've 2 more questions.

1. My Dell Inspiron 1501 spends some 4 & a half hrs for an hcc task. What PC should I have (at least approximately) to crack'em all in 10 mins? Is it possible for a usual person, not a millionaire? :)

2. Do any warnings exist here on the site or anywhere, that soon the wcg server will stop answering for 2 or 3 days? The point's that I keep my cache 0,5 a day & when all of a sudden tasks end, I have to switch to some docking-mocking, cause the very thought of my pc working in vain is unbearable :)

Thanks in advance, awaiting your answer.
[Feb 22, 2011 8:57:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

AS for #2, downtime is very rare, updates that are going to cause outages are usually posted in the "Known Issues" thread and normally only last for an hour or 2

system going down due to failure have all been fixed in a few hours, I think the worst was about 6 hrs

I keep my cache at 1.5 days and have never even come close to running out of work
[Feb 22, 2011 9:28:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread