Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1050 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
RicktheBrick
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Are we becoming obsolete?

Her is a interesting article. http://www.ornl.gov/info/press_releases/get_p...leaseNumber=mr20101209-00. It states that they have ported over commonly used software(maybe what we are using) to the super computers. Right now we have only about one sixth as much power that our fastest supercomputer. I think since we have to send the same problem to more than one computer we are already under 10% of the fastest computer. The grid has been in existence now for only 6 years. In another 6 years the fastest super computer will be 400 times faster. Unless we grow real fast the grid will be about two and a half per cent as fast as the fastest super computer. So the fastest super computer at that time will accomplish what the grid does for the next 6 years in about 100 days. I have read that the savings from a cure to cancer will be way into the trillions of dollars. If the expectations of success are only one per cent than it would still be worth a billion dollars and at one tenth of one per cent it would be worth a hundred million dollars to run this program. I believe that for the SETI program that the expectations for success are about one millionth of one per cent. Success in that program will only bring proof of what most people already accept. That is that there is another planet with intelligent beings on it. Success of our program will save countless number of lives. So someone should be able to show the government what the grid has already accomplished and using that should be able to persuade the government to build a super computer to continue that work.
[Dec 10, 2010 1:51:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Are we becoming obsolete?

I do not think we are becoming obsolete. The faster the computers get, the more granular the calculations will be so the scientists can get better results. Even with the fastest computers available now, some problems are so complex they can not be solved in a reasonable amount of time. Protein folding and climate prediction come to mind immediately. I do not even pretend to understand how to simulate protein folding,, but i know i read someplace that they were able to simulate 1 second of protein folding on a supercomputer, but the calculations took a couple of days. It was a major breakthrough. No matter how fast they make the computers there will always be problems out there which require MORE POWER !

Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Dec 10, 2010 2:41:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Personal computers are also getting faster very quickly, so as grid members upgrade, the computing power of the grid will increase too.
[Dec 10, 2010 5:17:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
macusen
Advanced Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

And... did someone think about the costs for a supercomputer? Not only for building it but also running costs...
I think we are much cheaper to the scientists! biggrin

[Dec 10, 2010 6:30:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Computing centre issue: 1 Watt of CPU power requires 2 Watts to cool. That ratio for 1 per room PCs is so much less that using ''cloud'' inside companies is just too incredible to not have been taken on en-mass many years ago. Too incredible as the smart office can recycle the heat as well.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Dec 10, 2010 8:43:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Where I live electric heating is needed for nearly half of each year, so the PCs working away on WCG work give heating value for the power they use - smart heaters.
[Dec 10, 2010 5:19:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread