Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 28
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4121 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
Atlantis555
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Speed & Credits

Guys, da point of my question is like dis:

Among others, I also crunch on a weak netbook Samsung N145 Plus. Why not, as it may seem? BUT! It spends much more time than a normal comp. 15-20 hours on a cancer task instead of 2-4. And the worst thing about credits is that I'm always in a pair with somebody who's fast as heck*.

I spend much time and claim many credits, the other does little time and claims little credits. As a result, our claims are granted to his pleasure and my disappointment.

So, da question: is it possible to take into consideration computers' speed and put approximately equal comps in a pair? And the fast ones wouldn't wait long for validation. Sekerob, waiting for your expert opinion, thanks in advance.

PS: For example:

*edited to appropriate forum language - ErikaT
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by ErikaT at Mar 14, 2011 11:43:03 AM]
[Mar 14, 2011 7:06:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Speed & Credits

My short "expert" guess is that your Atom or whatever CPU is running with *hyperthreading* i.e. 2 threads per physical core. That makes jobs run near twice as long, but doing only little more real work over the same amount of time. Your client benchmarks to be near twice as fast and claims accordingly, but reality is that it probably is not.

Anyway, my not hyperthreaded laptop did 36.4 credit on the last HCC v 6.40 for 3.6 hours, the HCC jobs being very constant which is kind of in the ballpark what these should do per task, no matter how slow or fast.

Here my one-off ''expert'' guess ends.

--//--
[Mar 14, 2011 7:53:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Atlantis555
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:

Yes, its CPU is Atom, but it's not the point. I'd like to know if it's possible for the project to put such slow PCs in pairs where the quorum is 2 in order that they spend approximately the same time, claim approximately the same credit and don't get under fast computers' feet.

PS.And I really think you an expert, it's not a mock.
[Mar 14, 2011 8:25:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Think the servers would not be able to distinct an Atom with HT on and off, so how would you pair and then you'd still have these time differences of 2 times and more. Skill pairing probably also adds substantial scheduler loads, though I'd not stop the techs from implementing, since then volunteers would learn how well their hosts do compared to the wingman. Likely the mechanism would take out allot of the claim disparities, but in that if a stock Q6600 on a 32 bit client on Linux 32 bit meets with a Q6600 on 64 bit host OCeed to the limit, there'd still be major differences, in time and claim, though there should not be... it's still per Cobblestone rules worth some 36 credit and not the Atoms 84.9, or?

HCC being that constant could as far as I'm concerned be given the same treatment as C4CW. The system is set to give a X amount of credit for a known amount of calculations and a small sway room for the slight variations, no matter what cycles/efficiency the CPU runs at, but that's another avenue.

2 Euro Cents worth of input I wanted to avoid to get into ;>)

--//--
[Mar 14, 2011 8:59:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

HCC being that constant could as far as I'm concerned be given the same treatment as C4CW. The system is set to give a X amount of credit for a known amount of calculations and a small sway room for the slight variations, no matter what cycles/efficiency the CPU runs at, but that's another avenue.

2 Euro Cents worth of input I wanted to avoid to get into ;>)

--//--

Sekerob, isn't that what the "new" credit policy will do? Make all WUs of the same project worth basically the same (average of the last X WUs or something like that)? Also any updates on when that is going to be implemented?

[Mar 15, 2011 5:10:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Can't be done, anhhai, and wont be done either under the new policy. There's just too much variability in most projects... the infamous non-deterministic calculations. HCC is constant in that it passes through an image analysis with many different filters, the outcome in time barely varying, thus think it's bench-markable. If it's really doable and tech time can be allotted... don't know, but locking credits in within a small range and all knowing saves allot of debate... to include my time ;-)

--//--
[Mar 16, 2011 1:40:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Some non-WCG projects grant credit based on the WU only. This tends not to go down well after you run a 34000sec task for the same 14 credits as a 300sec task, for example. Fortunately within WCG the credits are reasonable equal per system per run time.
Boinc-wide, credits are very un-uniform, making credit comparisons and overall Boinc credit rather meaningless. Unless some universal standard is widely adopted this will continue to undermine the Boinc system and many Boinc projects. If only one of the stat sites would do a relative credit system…
[Mar 16, 2011 2:14:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

I looked at my results logs and found my longest variance for HCC WU to be from 1.44hrs to 1.77hrs, so about 20% difference in time. However, most of them are between 1.44 hrs and 1.6hrs

[Mar 16, 2011 3:56:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Atlantis555
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:

One more question. Why are the credits for hcc tasks reduced? When it took me 4 hours to complete a task, I got approx. 45 credits on average. Now when it does some 1,5 hours, I receive some 25 or so.
Why? The volume of calculations has remained the same, tasks have not been halved, have they?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Atlantis555 at Apr 19, 2011 8:16:19 PM]
[Apr 13, 2011 11:18:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petehardy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Which is better?

10 credit/hour or 16 credit/hour

"Patience is a virtue", I can't wait to learn it!
[Apr 13, 2011 12:29:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread