Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 639 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
ElrondPA
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Limit task run length

I have BOINC installed on several computers. One of them is turned on for shorter periods (normally not more than 3-4 hours a day; sometimes a few days will go by with no usage at all). I'm noticing that sometimes a long-running task gets assigned, and it's hard to give it enough time to run before the task's report deadline. Right now, it's running a job estimated to take 14 hours; a second job on the dual-core machine is estimated to take 6.

It would be helpful to have a Device Manager setting that would limit the device to downloading tasks expected to take a specified maximum number of hours. This would, I think, be particularly useful for laptops, which often are running (on AC power) only a small part of the day. Since they often have less powerful CPUs (to reduce power consumption), jobs run longer on them to begin with.
[May 31, 2011 3:36:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: Limit task run length

As a quick fix, I'd suggest running HCC only on that machine which isn't on for long periods - as these WU's are generally very short.

Edit: After checking the WCG Supplemental Performance Charts - 1 it can be seen that, in the first chart, the current averages for each of the WU's/project are shown;

Hours/Task
FA@H HPF2 HCC HCMD2 CEP2 C4CW
Min. 2.07 4.46 1.54 0.58 1.90 2.13
Max. 14.5 11.2 9.13 5.51 9.15 6.95
7 d. av 7.75 8.14 1.59 4.28 7.78 4.83

Thus, after HCC, HCMD2 followed by C4CW is best.
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by gb009761 at May 31, 2011 4:05:09 PM]
[May 31, 2011 3:55:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ElrondPA
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've set up a new device profile to put this into effect.

The suggestion for future enhancement still stands, though, since I still don't have control over maximum length.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ElrondPA at Jun 23, 2011 4:43:31 PM]
[Jun 23, 2011 4:40:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

As a quick fix, I'd suggest running HCC only on that machine which isn't on for long periods - as these WU's are generally very short.

Edit: After checking the WCG Supplemental Performance Charts - 1 it can be seen that, in the first chart, the current averages for each of the WU's/project are shown;

Hours/Task
FA@H HPF2 HCC HCMD2 CEP2 C4CW
Min. 2.07 4.46 1.54 0.58 1.90 2.13
Max. 14.5 11.2 9.13 5.51 9.15 6.95
7 d. av 7.75 8.14 1.59 4.28 7.78 4.83

Thus, after HCC, HCMD2 followed by C4CW is best.

In the process of changing the Min/Max day task hourly averages from All-Time to last 6 months, to give a better indication 'in numbers'' what the ranges have been **. The 7 day average remains unaltered. This change for example produces:

FAAH Min.-Max
Hours 6.43-9.59 hours.

Of course, one has to gauge for oneself what this translates to for own device(s), but it will be a better guidance I'd think for the (new) set-forget crunchers **. Maybe I'll add also a new line for the hard task limits, in CPU time of course, so CEP2+HCMD2 would be 12:00 at current standing, regardless the power of the device. Probably better placed in the Matrix... undecided.

** Exception maybe DDDT2... the B-C times are all over the place.

--//--
[Jun 23, 2011 5:29:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread