Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 117
Posts: 117   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 64508 times and has 116 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Looong running WUs

Hi all -

I have also had a few target-7 WUs that show the extremely long runtimes. This is identical to behavior from some Beta WUs just before DSFL units began to distribute. Restarting BOINC or rebooting the machine seems to fix things, making the time elapsed/time remaining closer to an 8 hour average (Windows 7, quadcore, 64-bit) that I get on other DSFL WUs.
[Sep 9, 2011 12:12:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

I'm getting target 008 WUs that are taking up to 15 hours to complete. Restarting boinc or rebooting doesn't help. confused
----------------------------------------
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Sep 9, 2011 1:18:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
coolstream
Senior Cruncher
SCOTLAND
Project Badges:

I agree with metacatlet about it being reminiscent of some of the DSFL betas. However there is one major difference. The DSFL betas produced a Windows error message 'This program (the particular beta WU) has errrored. Click to abort' (or something like that).

If it can be seen that the unit appears to have frozen and yet there is no error message, I too would reluctantly abort it and leave it to wingmen to process.

Crunching in memory of my Mum PEGGY, cousin ROPPA and Aunt AUDREY.
[Sep 9, 2011 5:57:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

I am not against a 75 hours CPU time WU as long as I get around 2'000 points for it.
I know, I know you will say that I am getting very venal. biggrin

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hypernova at Sep 9, 2011 8:21:51 AM]
[Sep 9, 2011 8:21:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Within work units I have seen as few as 12 tasks and as many as 84.

Also, on the same system 52 tasks took 3.57h and 44 tasks took 44.18h confused
but no Errors, Inconclusives or Invalids listed in Result Status.
[Sep 9, 2011 10:18:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RMau
Cruncher
Project Badges:

For reasons that I don't understand, this project and FAaH just don't like to run on my machines. They appear to be very inefficient, with gaps between CPU time and elapsed time measured in hours, not minutes.

So, I'm pulling the plug on DSFL. I don't want to wrestle with it like I did with FAaH. I'll stick to projects that make the best use of the machines.

Y'all have fun with this one!

Rick

[Sep 10, 2011 2:13:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

@skgiven:
Also, on the same system 52 tasks took 3.57h and 44 tasks took 44.18h
This sounds like different Targets to me. Each Target presents a different challenge to the algorithm.

@RMau:
For reasons that I don't understand, this project and FAaH just don't like to run on my machines. They appear to be very inefficient, with gaps between CPU time and elapsed time measured in hours, not minutes.
This sounds like hyperthreading on an Intel CPU to me, or maybe by another process.

Lawrence
[Sep 10, 2011 2:49:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

on my i7 I shave off between 2-3 hours by running 5 vs 8 threads
resulting in returns at 5:41 to 8:14
elapse time difference less than 1 minute
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 10, 2011 3:05:12 PM]
[Sep 10, 2011 3:03:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gil II
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

I have a few long running ones too. The champiuon for me (on an i7) is Elapsed: 31:08 Progress 42.85% To completion 33:47

[Sep 10, 2011 4:48:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BSD
Senior Cruncher

I have a few long running ones too. The champiuon for me (on an i7) is Elapsed: 31:08 Progress 42.85% To completion 33:47

I would make sure it's actually still running; the progress % still moving? I had one after about 3 days I noticed that it was hung at 30% and 37 Hrs passed.
[Sep 10, 2011 8:05:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 117   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread