Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 117
Posts: 117   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 103092 times and has 116 replies Next Thread
coolstream
Senior Cruncher
SCOTLAND
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Looong running WUs

Not wanting to hi-jack the thread, but since I updated BoincManager to 6.10.58, I find it often loses contact with localhost and fails to update resulting in my having to exit and start it up again. The tasks keep running, it's just the mananger itself which seems to break.

These days, the only reason I use it is to get the shortcut to 'My Grid'. For everything else, I can access and control other machines with BT. It sure makes micromanagement of several machines so much easier.
----------------------------------------

Crunching in memory of my Mum PEGGY, cousin ROPPA and Aunt AUDREY.
[Sep 6, 2011 5:17:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

What is BT?
[Sep 6, 2011 5:44:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Boinctasks I suppose

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Sep 6, 2011 6:16:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RMau
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Here is an observation that I made today that might be useful to the folks looking into how these work units run.

I powered up my Ubuntu 11.04 machine this morning. It is an AMD-64, quad core machine. All it does is run WCG.

When I started BOINC this morning, the first two WUs to download showed estimated completion times of 7-ish hours. The third and fourth WUs to download showed estimated completion times of 11-ish hours.

The only change in the machine between the first two WUs and the last two WUs was that the the first two were running before the last two completed downloading and starting.

All four are DSFL_00000007_0000035_xxxx

Here is a screenshot of the four WUs so you can see the times.

Edit - The top WU on the list, 0506, finished in 07:10:32.
Edit 2 - WU 0624 finished in 07:56:42. WU 0369 in 10:14:02 and WU 0563 in 12:23:17.
I only allowed one additional WU on this machine. So at the end, there were fewer tasks running than there are cores in the CPU.

Rick

[Edit 3 times, last edit by RMau at Sep 7, 2011 12:43:24 PM]
[Sep 6, 2011 6:22:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Depends on the time of receipt of the first 2 versus the last 2 (not shown in screenshot). TTC (Time to complete) is a dynamic value based on current DCF (Duration Correction Factor) after last task completions and the FPOPS number included in the last received tasks. FPOPS is also a dynamic value that is set at the servers derived from most recent returned work durations.

--//--
[Sep 6, 2011 6:36:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Crystal Pellet
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

....The tasks keep running, it's just the mananger itself which seems to break.

These days, the only reason I use it is to get the shortcut to 'My Grid'. For everything else, I can access and control other machines with BT. It sure makes micromanagement of several machines so much easier.

[ot]
With BT you can access 'My Grid' too. Didn't you discover that?
Right click on the WCG project or on any WCG task. From WWW you can select 'My Grid'.
[/ot]

[Sep 6, 2011 6:42:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RMau
Cruncher
Project Badges:

The four tasks were downloaded one at a time. ie, four separate 'Request for New Tasks' between my Ubuntu machine and the WCG servers.

First download started at 09:22:20 AM EDT. Fourth task started at 09:28:03 AM EDT.

So, the servers are assigning values that have such a substantial impact on run times, within a six minute window?

Rick

[Sep 6, 2011 6:54:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KWSN - A Shrubbery
Master Cruncher

The server assigned value has no impact on runtime, it's just a more updated estimate based on recently returned results.

Distributed computing volunteer since September 27, 2000
[Sep 6, 2011 10:40:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Oddly, I am only seeing a slight increase in runtime for target 7 WU's on Ubuntu. They seem to be running around 8 hours for me, on a 2.40 GHz (quad core) processor. Are those that are seeing extremely long runtimes running Windows, or are some of you also running Linux?
[Sep 6, 2011 11:30:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wplachy
Senior Cruncher

I'm seeing them on both Windows and Ubuntu.
Bill P

[Sep 7, 2011 1:26:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 117   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread