Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 758 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
WCG, and Wikipedia: an untapped synergy?

Currently, the Wikipedia website is posting a solicitation for donations. Reading the solicitation letter, one gets a good idea of the philosophy of the company. And get some stats too: 679 servers, 95 staff, #5 on the web, 450-million people served per month, billions of page views.

An idea struck me that Wikipedia and WCG share somethings in common that is embedded in each company's mission/philosophy. Non-profit is one of them, and not far is knowledge. Where WCG is about facilitating basic research, Wikipedia is, as part of the solicitation letter puts it, "Like a library or a public park. It is like a temple". Broadly, it is clear that Wikipedia and WCG are organizations that deal with knowledge in a non-profit context.

Wikipedia and WCG also each have an open-source gene as the means to obtain content. Wikipedia as an open-sourced encyclopedia, and for WCG, the raw data output from volunteer's computers crunching WUs.

With a shared 'knowledge gene' in them, I figured that one could complement the other; and when two parties do complement each other, there must be some area where they can work together. What area would that be? I ask myself...

How about WCG making use of those 679 Wikipedia servers to support a crunching operation with WCG providing infrastructure support in return? Also, a '#5 on the web' has great potential to spread the word about WCG: a non-profit sponsor like WCG of a non-profit Wikipedia seems like a hand-in-glove.
;
[Nov 19, 2011 4:37:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: WCG, and Wikipedia: an untapped synergy?

So, yes, I adore Wikipedia, I donate a couple of times a year, I wrote one article, I use it every day for my blog work.

The question is, how to get Jimmy to put WCG on his machines?
----------------------------------------
[Nov 19, 2011 8:45:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread