Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 31
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 127827 times and has 30 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Graphics Card For GPU

Some info please guys. I am thinking of upgrading the graphics card in my Dell Inspiron 530, probably an NVIDIA.
Which card will be suitable for GPU when WCG finally gets there?
One not TOO expensive?

TIA
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Dec 28, 2011 2:21:58 PM]
[Dec 20, 2011 7:20:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Graphics Card Update

Would a GForce GT 430 be ok?
[Dec 20, 2011 7:35:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

hypnotized
The only way to be sure is to wait until the project has completed Beta testing and is finally running. Choosing a GPU board before then might get you a pig or a alien 1 or a skull or a idea .

thinking
Please wait patiently.
Lawrence
[Dec 20, 2011 7:37:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hardnews
Senior Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

^^^^ I agree. But if you need a graphic card now then the choice is Nvidia or ATi. The GeForce GT430 works well for me in my i5 machine and is not too expensive, but even if it's not being used it drinks another 20 watts of juice, important if the machine is left on 24/7. It supports both Physx and CUDA.

I've used it on GPU crunching under BOINC (not WCG) and it works very well.

So the choice is: wait or gamble. ??????ATI or NVidia?

There is a good thread here about announcements on GPU which may happen in January, so maybe you might wait for that, unless you need to take out the bad bikers in Road Rash, over Christmas.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Hardnews at Dec 20, 2011 11:18:17 AM]
[Dec 20, 2011 8:20:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

I don't know how it works for crunching(104 Gflops) but I got an ATI HD5450 1Gb DDR3 PCI-E for 32 euros
It's great for gaming though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036DD4CO

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Dec 20, 2011 9:58:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petehardy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

..or for around GBP100 ATI HD 6770 Single precision, runs at 1360GFlops!

"Patience is a virtue", I can't wait to learn it!
[Dec 20, 2011 11:25:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BSD
Senior Cruncher

What ever you get just make sure it has a fan and is not passive cooling. IMO
[Dec 20, 2011 11:46:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

What ever you get just make sure it has a fan and is not passive cooling. IMO

Yeah it's better with a fan although it runs at 45-50ยบ celsius while gaming(cod5)

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Dec 20, 2011 12:20:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Dec 20, 2011 12:34:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikey
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

VERY basically the more of these the better: "96 CUDA processing cores"

There are MANY other things that go into how fast, or how much, processing your gpu can do, but the more processing cores the better. The AMD 6770 has "320(x4)" for a total of 1280, they call them "stream processors" on ATI/AMD cards. Of course the more cores the more expensive the card. ALSO Boinc Projects are usually 'optimized' for either AMD or Nvidia gpu's, buying the wrong one now can be a huge disappointment later on. As Lawrence said January is less than a month away, see what they recommend and then buy one. As a personal experience I can tell you that over at PrimeGrid they are optimized for Nvidia cards, My Nvidia card over there is getting 30k per day RAC but when I put a MUCH more powerful AMD card over there it struggled to get that much credit, it was a 5770 which is what they now call the 6770. The AMD card worked but not nearly as well as the Nvidia card! You have waited this long give it a little while longer to see what is best, you don't want to be disappointed because you jumped the gun.

[Dec 20, 2011 1:56:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread