Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 388
Posts: 388   Pages: 39   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 290711 times and has 387 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy Phase 2 - 18 days left of new work

Do you think that you'll get 1 day work of HCMD2, NOW? If you have 4 days work still, what's the complaint?

It's only a suggestion based on the fairly constant [with bounds] runtimes I'm observing for most sciences at WCG and proposing how to scrape a few in the end run which will not do any big inflating would they run longer and certainly at 1 day cache will not push the envelope to your 12+ days ;>). You know your machine, you set the prefs as the way your machines deals with variability!

--//--
[Feb 17, 2012 1:59:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
astrolabe.
Senior Cruncher

All Done: Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2 7,703,044 24,375 10:004:19:59:55
[Feb 17, 2012 2:00:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Done in Maggiore biggrin

--//--
[Feb 17, 2012 2:13:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Do you think that you'll get 1 day work of HCMD2, NOW? If you have 4 days work still, what's the complaint?

It's unlikely you'll get much if any HCMD2-work now, but I was trying to point-out that for a computer with little/no HCMD2-work, your method of caching "1 day" of other WCG-work likely would be too little actual work to not be idle before can re-fill with more WCG-work in 24 hours, since there is little/no HCMD2-work to get.
----------------------------------------

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Feb 17, 2012 2:20:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

OK, OK... I get it, I get it ! ...to avoid the HCMD2 idle times. It was early and I hadn't had my first cup of coffee.

CJSL
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Feb 17, 2012 2:43:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Most will be hands on enough to be able to tune the value without ending up with loads of ''other''. DCF goes down slow, so any incidental quickies wont shrink the cache dramatically and any long wont inflate much as the DCF will in main be driven by the 'other'. Plz open new thread if you wish to extend the debate on what's best, so it can be put to good use by others beyond this HCMD2 crunching thread... asked you before... draft an FAQ with best practices from your vast experience.

--//--
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 17, 2012 2:52:21 PM]
[Feb 17, 2012 2:50:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
coolstream
Senior Cruncher
SCOTLAND
Project Badges:

Sekerob, I respect what you are saying about a new thread for this topic being a good idea. One 'additional tool' that makes micromanagement much easier as you know is BoincTasks. I think that for people who are trying to squeeze the last few drops out a project, being able to see the bigger picture really helps when attempting to make tweaks.

I went to BoincManager on one machine recently with a view to doing a final tweak and it felt like I was in a submarine that had no periscope. Going back to BoincTasks, I was much more able to see a trend in the distribution of those elusive final WUs.

I hope that when you are writing your FAQ, you will make some mention of BoincTasks.

Crunching in memory of my Mum PEGGY, cousin ROPPA and Aunt AUDREY.
[Feb 18, 2012 12:53:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

I can confirm that SekeRob's scenario works well: four days before his post I have used the same one while I was finishing a stack of grand children WUs (i.e. low DCF at this time) and, suddenly, within a few minutes, my quad has received scores of repair** work, half children and half parents (some back to 21xx batches!), the parents with their outrageously underestimated durations as usual.
Finally, with a lot of micromanagement I could do the work in 4 calendar days as requested, the last three parents completing 2-3 hours after the deadline but much before the replacement jobs had the smallest chance to come back. smile

And the good news for batch hunters is that several parents were so tough that they have been stopped at 6 hours (usually this quad completes all parents in 5-8 hours), so there are probably still many chidren and grand children to chase in the coming days.

** Considering the batch numbers I have seen maybe it was more "housekeeping-by-the-techs" than true repair works, but they were all 4-day jobs anyway. smile
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JmBoullier at Feb 18, 2012 1:17:15 PM]
[Feb 18, 2012 1:14:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

For my-self, I experience currently a crazy situation.
Since I was business traveling last week, I decided to increase my cache from 1.5 days to 5 days. I did it carefully step by step: +.5 day/12 hours.
Unfortunately, the last project update occurred by two hosts just after a large collection of very small WUs (<1 hour/WU). The consequence is that these both hosts fetched a lot of WUs at once which seem to take much more time (3 to 5 hours) than Boinc did expect.
It looks like, that I will probably send back many WUs over the deadline.
Within 5 years, it is the first time I experience such a mistake.
Additionally, boinc is reporting a cache size varying from hour to hour between 7 days and 25 days, without downloading new WUs since 4 days.
Something went wrong.
Cheers,
Yves
[Feb 18, 2012 3:23:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

One day left!
[Feb 18, 2012 10:25:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 388   Pages: 39   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread