Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 151
Posts: 151   Pages: 16   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 100386 times and has 150 replies Next Thread
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Round 3 - GPU Beta Test for Help Conquer Cancer

The mouse arrow moved around fine, but when dragging a window around or scrolling on a web page, I experienced 'display lag'. This is due to the heavy use by the GPU. Altering the power settings for USB would not change that, well not unless it was in Power Saver mode and the mouse arrow was jerky.

This would help to some extent:
Start, Computer, Properties, Advanced, performance Settings, Adjust for Best Performance.

For those with a discrete GPU, an on-chip Intel gPU and the correct motherboard, or an onboard GPU + discrete GPU, you can use the discrete GPU to crunch on and the other gPU for the display.

For those with multiple GPU's crunching with specific GPU's for specific projects, it's just a matter of matching the least sluggish GPU/Project with the display.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skgiven at Mar 17, 2012 4:58:04 PM]
[Mar 16, 2012 9:38:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Problems - sluggish system responsiveness (moving small windows, browsing) when the GPU portion of the WU was crunching. This is similar to MW (the last time I checked).

Do you have Aero enabled? That is the usual suggestion made on the Folding forum for curing such problems. It works well on Win7, but I don't recall if it works on Vista or XP, which use a different video driver model.

One problem for me though is that I don't like Aero. So you can disable certain graphics functions instead, which helps solve the lag to some extent. Go to System/Advanced System Settings/Performance Options/Visual Effects, and then under "Custom", disable as many options as you can do without.

It depends a lot on your graphics card though; some have more lag than others, and it is not directly related to speed. The lag on my GTX 560 Ti is worse than on my GT 430 when folding, for example, but I don't know about the HCC beta yet.
[Mar 16, 2012 9:52:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bugg
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

received 54 wu all on my juniper none on my nvidia cards

Wow. How do you get so many? I only get one at a time, and only have gotten 2 gpu ones so far. What settings do you use that you can get this many?

i5-12600K (3.7GHz), 32GB DDR5, Win11 64bit Home

[Mar 16, 2012 9:59:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Would not surprise me if the BETA limit still follows the same rule... 1 per CPU thread i.e. even if there's 1 GPU in the system, but 8 allowed CPU threads, you'd be getting a max of 8 on a machine.

--//--
[Mar 16, 2012 10:11:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Any plans for checkpointing in GPU processing?

Ok, I have a pretty slow GPU that takes around 24 minutes for a Beta WU (Radeon HD 5450 with 512MB). My setting is to disallow BOINC to work when I am working. This resets the betas whenever I move the mouse or press a key - which particularly hurts if they are almost done.

Regards,
Martin

[Mar 16, 2012 10:36:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

And LAIM is on or off?

--//--
[Mar 16, 2012 10:40:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
X-Files 27
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

That can be solved by:
- using a different port.
- disabling any power management for USB hub.

Please give details where I can change these settings.
This could be a BIG reason why ppl don't use GPU crunching on their everyday working PCs

The USB bit is easy... visit the Device Manager, right click on any of the USB entries > Properties and take the Power Management tab [if it has one] ** and untick the box that allows to save power. The port part has me thoroughly puzzled. BOINC port, Card PCI/PCIE slot. Definitely useful for those who wish to max out.

--//--

edit: ** only the Generic USB Hub and USB Root Hub have the Power Management option on my machine.

The USB port is where you actually connect your mouse. Most of the time its on the back of your computer.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by X-Files 27 at Mar 16, 2012 10:55:22 PM]
[Mar 16, 2012 10:54:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

And LAIM is on or off?

LAIM is on, but afaik it does not apply to GPU processing. Makes sense, since the GPU memory is meant to be used for graphics during activity, and it cannot be swapped out.

With Astropulse it works quite well - pretty frequent checkpointing.

Regards,
Martin

[Mar 16, 2012 10:59:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ZipSpeed
Cruncher
Project Badges:

So far accumulated 11 invalids between my 5850 and 5670. My 5870 has been invalid-free so far. Are invalids a common element in beta? First time participating in a beta so no prior history to draw from.

[Mar 17, 2012 12:01:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KWSN - A Shrubbery
Master Cruncher

So far accumulated 11 invalids between my 5850 and 5670. My 5870 has been invalid-free so far. Are invalids a common element in beta? First time participating in a beta so no prior history to draw from.

First time running GPU so you'll have to wait to hear from the techs as no one knows yet, probably not them either.

Distributed computing volunteer since September 27, 2000
[Mar 17, 2012 12:07:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 151   Pages: 16   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread