Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 63
Posts: 63   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6493 times and has 62 replies Next Thread
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Beta Test for Help Conquer Cancer - GPU v6.51

Looks like this wave of beta tasks is finished, just my two cents: I got 4 beta tasks on one of my machines and first of them was stuck on 99.415%. The machine is a notebook winth Windows7 54bit and nVida 540M GPU and to avoid overheating, throttle is on - use max 50% of cpu time.
I turned throttle off, restarted BOINC and all beta tasks finished successfully. I observed that during computation, both CPU core and GPU were used in 100%, despite of throttle settings.
I hope that this issue will be solved quickly - I think that a lot of people use this setting because of heat and noise, using 100% of a notebook CPU is not an option for me.

FWIW I doubt that there will be any accomodations made for people running GPU tasks on a notebook. They are all small percentage of crunchers. Nvidia requires a full core to run the GPU tasks because of the drivers. That won't change unless Nvidia does something about it. IMHO trying to run GPU tasks on a notebook is a very bad idea because of the heat issues. If the WCG techs can solve the isssue of using less than 100% CPU to keep tasks from getting stuck may help but I still would not recommend using a notebook which was not designed for this type of use.

This change is in v7.0.34 and later, so while it's unclear if it could give excess CPU-cache, it's still a good idea to upgrade to v7.0.36.

100% agree. I haven't had 1 issue with the cache settings using the newer BOINC versions.
----------------------------------------
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nanoprobe at Sep 25, 2012 3:57:58 PM]
[Sep 25, 2012 3:54:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Heat issues... my octo mobile has an on-mob on-CPU GPU and a Radeon card. When I use the Catalyst "Configure Switchable Graphics" and set certain apps to use the "high performance" GPU, the temp shoots up 9C and the cool sense throttles down the CPU from 2.6-2.8 to 1.8Ghz. No GPU crunching on this baby.

edit: On-CPU of course.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 25, 2012 5:57:22 PM]
[Sep 25, 2012 4:30:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

IMHO trying to run GPU tasks on a notebook is a very bad idea because of the heat issues.
GPU-WU-crunching is even tough on a desktop, let alone a notebook. If the UI visuals stuttering fails to dissuade crunchers from doing GPU-WUs-crunching on their notebooks, the heat should. At the current 32 to 22nm chips, even CPU-crunching is tough for notebooks but only for 24/7 operation.
;
[Sep 25, 2012 5:36:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
X-Files 27
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Techs, any feedback from this test? Are good for prod now?

[Sep 25, 2012 7:02:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[HWU]Melkor
Cruncher
Project Badges:

You have already given enough details I think smile

Ok, thank you! wink

[Sep 25, 2012 7:22:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

We are able to reproduce the hang at the end of the workunit in alpha thanks to all the feedback here. We are pretty sure that the issue lies in the BOINC API or our wrapper code for the research code. We have gone through 2 additional versions in alpha this week and we hope to fix it soon. Given the large number of errors associated with this issue we want to fix it before launch. We are getting very close though!
[Sep 26, 2012 8:40:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Thanks knreed for the update. Great to hear

[Sep 26, 2012 8:55:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[VENETO] boboviz
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

We are getting very close though!

And my HD6850 is ready!!! biggrin
[Sep 27, 2012 12:11:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:

Great. Hope they send work to my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580???? They will won't they knreed???????
One of your friends in Texas cowboy
RT Website Hosting

[Sep 27, 2012 1:24:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Tapiot
Cruncher

Here 7950 waiting wu's. Sooner or later we all get them.
[Sep 27, 2012 1:36:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 63   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread