Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 363
Posts: 363   Pages: 37   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 79434 times and has 362 replies Next Thread
Rarusu
Advanced Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: HCC GPU APP HAS LAUNCHED.

For the HCC project there shouldn't be any difference. The data per work unit isn't that much to even max out the 1 GB of RAM on the "smaller" graphics card.
Only if the amount of data that has to be written/read into/from the RAM is more than the 1 GB the card with 2 GB would be of an advantage.
That's the theory ;)
----------------------------------------
Cheers,
Rarusu

[Oct 11, 2012 5:34:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
themoonscrescent
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

@ Rarusu: Thankyou for the reply, just found from the list of exclusions that all cards I have in the machines I'm running are "Excluded" sad so am now having to update them, looking on Amazon (just as a guide for now), there is only about £5 difference between the 1 & 2gb version of the HD6670 and wondered if it is worth the extra few quid (remembering, I may need 4 of them, so the extra £5 becomes an extra £20).

[Edit 1 times, last edit by themoonscrescent at Oct 11, 2012 5:43:37 AM]
[Oct 11, 2012 5:42:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

Oh, boy! Oh, boy! It's like Christmas in...well...October, but still! Can't wait to get back home and turn on my "beast" so it can chew up some of these little critters!

Go! Go! Go!
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Oct 11, 2012 6:03:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I second the desire to be able to crunch GPU-only for one project, while doing CPU computing for another.

That can be done pretty easily! Go to your preferences page, deselect HCC as a project you want to run and select the box that you want to work on GPU WUs if your graphics cards is capable of it. Works fine for me! Getting only GPU WUs for HCC but no CPU WUs biggrin

Yes, but can you get CPU tasks from a different sub-project too? I can't

I want to use my GPU for this sub-project, and my CPU for another sub-project. This can be done via anonymous platform (app_info.xml).
[Oct 11, 2012 6:08:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rarusu
Advanced Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Hmm...I'm running HCC on my GPUs and on the CPU FAAH and The Clean Energy Project. It really works for me as I described it above.
So I just selected FAAH and The Clean Energy Project as projects I want work for + that I want to recieve work for my GPU.
Cheers,
Rarusu

[Oct 11, 2012 6:53:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LazYSheep
Cruncher
Hong Kong
Project Badges:

No task for GPU now??? confused
[Oct 11, 2012 6:54:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hrm. That is not working at all for me
[Oct 11, 2012 6:55:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dskagcommunity
Senior Cruncher
Austria
Project Badges:

Yeahh great first tests on 560ti are positive (5:15mins). Tommorow one of the machines with a compatible 260gtx 24/7 card will start too. Think about the 285gtx from gpugrid too ^^. Time for upgrading some of my excluded cards :)
http://www.research.dskag.at
Crunching for my Dog who had "good" Braincancer.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by dskagcommunity at Oct 11, 2012 8:58:37 AM]
[Oct 11, 2012 8:46:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
biggrin Re: HCC GPU APP HAS LAUNCHED.

Hmm...I'm running HCC on my GPUs and on the CPU FAAH and The Clean Energy Project. It really works for me as I described it above.
So I just selected FAAH and The Clean Energy Project as projects I want work for + that I want to receive work for my GPU.

That was the anticipated way it would work, without the techs really needing to modify the device profile, i.e. only run CPU tasks for CPU only projects and GPU for those sciences that have both. This "workaround" will be okay till at least the next GPU project launches. Worth someone writing this up properly in a separate *new* topic [pretty please posted in the GPU support forum, specifying what options need to be set on the device profile. It's one of those "unofficial", so wont get in the Help, but can be topic linked in the Start Here forum index.

Volunteers? [not me!].
[Oct 11, 2012 9:07:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Faun
Cruncher
smile Re: HCC GPU APP HAS LAUNCHED.

Hey guys!
I'm new to this...well. I don't have much money, but I'm trying the best I can. I'm crunching with an intel celeron E3400 dual core and it takes me 1,5 h to crunch a wu.
I'm not sure, if my ATI 4300/4500 can crunch work units. The wus now are crunched by the cpu and I hope that my gpu will kick in, somehow. I set everything on the device manager and in the boinc manager. We'll see. :/

Any ideas if there is a "good" gpu for like 50 Euros which takes less time than 1,5 hours?

Sorry for taking your time!
[Oct 11, 2012 9:52:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 363   Pages: 37   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread