Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 24
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14467 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
Bugg
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile Limit on tasks per day for HCC GPU?

10/13/2012 1:34:25 PM | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Help Conquer Cancer
10/13/2012 1:34:25 PM | World Community Grid | This computer has finished a daily quota of 20 tasks
10/13/2012 1:34:25 PM | World Community Grid | This computer has reached a limit on tasks in progress

I haven't finished 20 at all today, only 2 so far when this showed up in my log. It had already downloaded 21, however.

My question is why is there a limit of 20? Wasn't the whole point of making it a GPU project to make use of the speed of said GPU's? If there's a limit of x/day, how is this accomplishing that? Just trying to make sense of the logic here.

EDIT: It seems to have downloaded another 15 tasks. New question: Is this "quota of 20" actually being enforced or is it some extraneous log activity?
----------------------------------------

Intel i5-7600K Kaby Lake (3.8GHz), 16GB DDR4, Win10 64bit Home, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, 500GB Seagate Constellation HDD, AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bugg at Oct 13, 2012 6:47:44 PM]
[Oct 13, 2012 6:45:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Limit on tasks per day for HCC GPU?

someone out there knows how to answer you, i think it is very sad they have not replyed to you.
[Oct 13, 2012 11:59:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

All I know is that I have received and completed over 300 HCC GPU work units today, so there is something fishy about that "quota". I have never heard of it. Check you BOINC preferences and your Device Profile in the WCG Device Manager page. Maybe there is something there that is limiting it? Also, I would update to a recent version of BOINC (version 7) if you have not already.

EDIT: And you might as well use 7.0.36 while you are at it. It fixes a lot of bugs relating to GPUs.
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=6698&nowrap=true#45639
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jim1348 at Oct 14, 2012 12:35:44 AM]
[Oct 14, 2012 12:07:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

10/13/2012 1:34:25 PM | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Help Conquer Cancer
10/13/2012 1:34:25 PM | World Community Grid | This computer has finished a daily quota of 20 tasks
10/13/2012 1:34:25 PM | World Community Grid | This computer has reached a limit on tasks in progress

I haven't finished 20 at all today, only 2 so far when this showed up in my log. It had already downloaded 21, however.

My question is why is there a limit of 20? Wasn't the whole point of making it a GPU project to make use of the speed of said GPU's? If there's a limit of x/day, how is this accomplishing that? Just trying to make sense of the logic here.

The daily quota is to guard against computers generating nothing but errors should download 1000+ tasks a day and only erroring-out everything. There's separate quotas per app-version & plan-class and WCG has decided to set the start-quota at only 5 tasks. In case of CPU it's per cpu-core, while GPU is per gpu but additionally where's normally a multiplication-factor and it can seem WCG is using 4 here to give you 20 to start with.

Every time a task gets validated, the corresponding quota will increase with 1, while if you generates an error the quota will decrease back down to the start of 5 if higher.

This means everyone started with low GPU-quota, even if had previously ran many HCC-tasks on their CPU. But, as long as they're not returning any errors, the quota will increase and then enough has been validated you shouldn't have any problems with daily quota any more.

EDIT: It seems to have downloaded another 15 tasks. New question: Is this "quota of 20" actually being enforced or is it some extraneous log activity?

One possibility is you've returned some tasks and they've gotten validated, if the GPU-multiplier is 4 this means for every validated the quota will increase by 4. Another possibility is you started on a new "day", since every computer has a randomly-assigned start of each "day" it's impossible to know when this happens, and in case you've got multiple computers they'll start their "days" on different times.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Oct 14, 2012 1:23:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bugg
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

My point was that it totally ignored said quota of 20, and downloaded more before anything was validated. :(

Intel i5-7600K Kaby Lake (3.8GHz), 16GB DDR4, Win10 64bit Home, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, 500GB Seagate Constellation HDD, AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB

[Oct 14, 2012 2:38:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi Bugg,
On 11 Oct knreed posted "We have temporarily limited the max number of workunits in progress for cpu to 10 due to this issue. We are examining how to address now." at https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/...ead,33981_offset,0#395403

I have been guessing that they have been messing around on the server since then trying to avoid problems while wrestling with a bug. I don't know a thing, but it would explain your getting messages about limits that don't stop you from working.

confused
Lawrence
[Oct 14, 2012 4:24:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

We may have an unclear or confused references here, made complicated because we have both HCC-CPU-WUs and HCC-GPU-WUs.

Ingleside covered both CPU and GPU scenarios and lawrencehardin seems to be referring only to CPU. All along we have a WCG Device Manager that does not seem to distinguish between an HCC-CPU tasks and an HCC-GPU task, or otherwise not clear about it: there are no clear separate controls for CPU tasks and GPU tasks in HCC.

That said, @Bugg:
Your OP title includes 'GPU' but no 'CPU'. In your reference to HCC-WUs, for the sake of clarity in references, are you referring to GPU-WUs or CPU-WUs or both?
;
[Oct 14, 2012 9:05:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

My point was that it totally ignored said quota of 20, and downloaded more before anything was validated. :(

If your computer started on a new "day" at 13.10.2012 13:34:35, on your next scheduler-request you wouldn't have downloaded any work this "day" and getting 15 tasks would be completely legal.

Another possibility is, WCG has changed the normal BOINC-server-code to increase quota also on successfully returned work, but to verify if this is the case is very difficult...

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Oct 14, 2012 12:48:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

That is the case... returning work [without outright error evaluation] increments [daily] quota to the point of ceiling. If a device though ate through say 100, then bungled 50, that 50 goes off the daily quota too [something like that].
[Oct 14, 2012 12:55:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bugg
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I had only received GPU units, and it hadn't validated the 1 or 2 that were already crunched and returned, when the log showed the quote of 20. Yet having shown that quota as 20, it still proceeded to download the above-mentioned quantity of more GPU units. Tis why I was wondering if the quota was being enforced, as nothing had been validated yet.

[Oct 14, 2012 10:48:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread