Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 78
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20201 times and has 77 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
app_info.xml with all projects

To avoid wasting a LOT of idle GPU time for HCC, running multiple GPU tasks at the same time is the way to go. To do that, you need to employ the anonymous platform feature of BOINC. Fair enough. I've seen app_info.xml files posted that we can copy to MAKE IT SO.

The problem is that using an app_info.xml file that includes entries for only HCC GPU tasks, excludes everything else.

It would be great if someone who understands all the ins and outs of the app_info.xml (that excludes me), if they could post an app_info.xml that included ALL active projects, all apps. Then we users could strip out the projects we don't want to participate in, and the applications that don't fit the particular machine (win/lin/osx, 32/64 bit, etc.).

Any takers?
[Nov 2, 2012 5:10:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
depriens
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:
Re: app_info.xml with all projects

LOL, I was actually about to create a thread with the exact same question right now. So thanks for taking that off my hands... wink

My graphics card (HD7770) is idling for most of the time so I also would like to be able to run multiple tasks without having to give up on the CPU projects. Any input would be highly appreciated.
----------------------------------------

[Nov 2, 2012 10:42:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Nov 2, 2012 2:17:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
depriens
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Thanks! I see I've got some testing to do! cool

[Nov 2, 2012 5:08:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

LOL, I was actually about to create a thread with the exact same question right now. So thanks for taking that off my hands... wink

My graphics card (HD7770) is idling for most of the time so I also would like to be able to run multiple tasks without having to give up on the CPU projects. Any input would be highly appreciated.

If your 7770 is idling most of the time and you have been using it to run the WCG GPU app there is something wrong with your settings.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Nov 2, 2012 7:26:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ThreadRipper
Veteran Cruncher
Sweden
Project Badges:

Waiting for a HCC GPU + HFCC app_info...no one?

Join The International Team: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=CK9RP1BKX1

AMD TR2990WX @ PBO, 64GB Quad 3200MHz 14-17-17-17-1T, RX6900XT @ Stock
AMD 3800X @ PBO
AMD 2700X @ 4GHz
[Nov 2, 2012 8:40:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
depriens
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

@flodisar, I tried using the HCC GPU + HCC app_info from the XS forum, but I couldn't get it to work. I just got a bunch of error messages and BOINC telling that it didn't need to download new files. So I have to see if I did something wrong. About HFCC, jspace at the XS forum said he's working on this app_info. Maybe he can help out?

If your 7770 is idling most of the time and you have been using it to run the WCG GPU app there is something wrong with your settings.

OK, are there any settings I can change to improve this? I didn't change anything exept for the one to make the GPU crunch while the PC is in use. It is now set to do GPU work all the time.

I'll try to describe the situation. When I have a HCC GPU workunit, the CPU uses about 30 seconds before the GPU 'kicks in'. The GPU then completes the workunit in a little under a minute and then the CPU has to finish the workunit for another minute. So roughly said the GPU is used for about 1 minute and is idling for about 1:30 minute because it's waiting for the CPU starting and finishing the workunit.

And when the GPU is in use, the load never exceeds 85%.

Any toughts on what I can do to improve the load and have less idling time? It's an old i7-920 using 8 threads, and I really would like to use the remaining threads for CPU work...

[Edit 1 times, last edit by depriens at Nov 2, 2012 8:48:05 PM]
[Nov 2, 2012 8:42:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pirogue
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

@flodisar, I tried using the HCC GPU + HCC app_info from the XS forum, but I couldn't get it to work. I just got a bunch of error messages and BOINC telling that it didn't need to download new files. So I have to see if I did something wrong. About HFCC, jspace at the XS forum said he's working on this app_info. Maybe he can help out?

OK, are there any settings I can change to improve this? I didn't change anything exept for the one to make the GPU crunch while the PC is in use. It is now set to do GPU work all the time.

I'll try to describe the situation. When I have a HCC GPU workunit, the CPU uses about 30 seconds before the GPU 'kicks in'. The GPU then completes the workunit in a little under a minute and then the CPU has to finish the workunit for another minute. So roughly said the GPU is used for about 1 minute and is idling for about 1:30 minute because it's waiting for the CPU starting and finishing the workunit.

And when the GPU is in use, the load never exceeds 85%.

Any toughts on what I can do to improve the load and have less idling time? It's an old i7-920 using 8 threads, and I really would like to use the remaining threads for CPU work...

To maximize what you're GPU is doing, the easiest way is to adjust the <count></count> setting.
Using <count>.125</count> in the app_info will run 8 concurrent GPU WUs.
That should keep the GPU busy nearly 100% of the time and be more productive (at least as far as HCC is concerned) than running GPU+CPU.
IMHO, if you're interested only in HCC and have a capable GPU, running as many GPU WUs as possible is the way to go.

[Nov 2, 2012 9:18:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

To maximize what you're GPU is doing, the easiest way is to adjust the <count></count> setting.

Yeah, but to do that, you have to use anonymous platform, and he can't get it to work.

Which brings us back to the original request, of a working app_info.xml, that includes everything. Then we can just strip out the unwanted CPU projects.
[Nov 2, 2012 10:31:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pirogue
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I guess I got sidetracked by the "I tried using the HCC GPU + HCC app_info" part.

[Nov 2, 2012 11:03:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread