Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1882 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Can't add WCG to BOINC or GridRepublic!

Hi, I have been trying for several months to get World Community Grid back up and running. A year or so ago, I went to GridRepublic so that I could set WCG to get 70% of computing time, and several other external projects to share the rest.

This seemed to work for awhile, but eventually WCG stopped sending work. I tried deleting it from Gridrepublic, and adding it again, but it can't be added/updated. The same issue occurs when I try to add it as a separate project directly to BOINC.

At this rate, I have had no results for WCG for several months due to this issue, while Einstein@home is taking 100% of my computing time. I just added an SSD and did a complete clean install of the OSX 10.8.2, and am using the latest version of BOINC. Everything else seems to work well, and I can access my info online, I just can't add WCG to those two locations.

Does anyone have any ideas so I can start getting WCG some time?

Thanks!
[Nov 3, 2012 1:01:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Can't add WCG to BOINC or GridRepublic!

Does GridRepublic not have it's own custom BOINC Agent, which then begs the question if they include [have included all the security features needed for WCG]. So happens some weeks ago to have seen some work done on the GR specific 6.8 client, which was this release of August 22, 2012: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/gridrepublic_6.8.44_windows_intelx86.exe and this of Aug.14 http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_081412_macOSX_i686.zip There were several more 6.8.44 builds, but you'd really have to check over at GR why or what this was for. WCG requires certificate checking and port 443 open. Any message log from the WCG attach fail would give us a pointer why this fails. Are you doing this from within GR or directly in the client?

That said, I've had GR on a regular BOINC/WCG build without issue. I got off their program some years ago because they were not respecting a certain setting I had and went about to delete my account there.

If I was easily scared, it would be with that word "Latest"... could be a first alpha test build that mangles everything. What exact version is this "Latest"?
[Nov 3, 2012 3:08:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I am running OSX 10.8.2, so it seems only BOINC version 7.0.31 will work. However, this issue has been happening since I was running 10.7, on whatever was then the recent version. This was downloaded from BOINC, and not from Grid Republic or WCG.

When I try to add WCG via BOINC itself (Tools>Add Project), it will communicate with the project, ask me to identify my account, which I do, then it tells me it Failed to add project, an error has occurred, pleas check the Event log for details. I do so, and this it the only relevant/recent line: "Sat Nov 3 13:02:44 2012 | | Fetching configuration file from http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/get_project_config.php"

When I try to add WCG via the Grid Republic website, it asks me for my account info, which I provide, informs me that WCG subproject settings will override the ones they just made me choose, then tells me there was an error.

HOWEVER... it looks like this time... the hundredth or so time I've tried this, it did add, as when I synchronized BOINC with GR, WCG appeared. However it still will not download any tasks, which was the problem that made remove it in the first place many months ago.

So I guess I'm back to stage one.
[Nov 3, 2012 5:12:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Is the GR Account manager attached to the client? If so, temp detach from GR. Then, suspend all projects in the Projects tab except WCG. After, hit update, after selecting WCG in the projects tab. See what happens... it work is fetched it may be just the resource share.

If still no work comes, replace content of the cc_config.xml file with this, which creates a bunch of extra logging messages in the client. After, use the advanced menu "Read config" to effectuate [this is recorded in message log if successful] and hit update again in the client, then post if still no work has come.

<cc_config>
<log_flags>
<file_xfer>1</file_xfer>
<sched_ops>1</sched_ops>
<task>1</task>
<app_msg_receive>0</app_msg_receive>
<app_msg_send>0</app_msg_send>
<async_file_debug>0</async_file_debug>
<benchmark_debug>0</benchmark_debug>
<checkpoint_debug>1</checkpoint_debug>
<coproc_debug>0</coproc_debug>
<cpu_sched>1</cpu_sched>
<cpu_sched_debug>0</cpu_sched_debug>
<cpu_sched_status>0</cpu_sched_status>
<dcf_debug>1</dcf_debug>
<disk_usage_debug>0</disk_usage_debug>
<priority_debug>0</priority_debug>
<file_xfer_debug>1</file_xfer_debug>
<gui_rpc_debug>0</gui_rpc_debug>
<heartbeat_debug>0</heartbeat_debug>
<http_debug>1</http_debug>
<http_xfer_debug>1</http_xfer_debug>
<mem_usage_debug>0</mem_usage_debug>
<network_status_debug>1</network_status_debug>
<poll_debug>0</poll_debug>
<proxy_debug>1</proxy_debug>
<rr_simulation>0</rr_simulation>
<rrsim_detail>0</rrsim_detail>
<sched_op_debug>1</sched_op_debug>
<scrsave_debug>0</scrsave_debug>
<slot_debug>0</slot_debug>
<state_debug>0</state_debug>
<statefile_debug>0</statefile_debug>
<suspend_debug>0</suspend_debug>
<task_debug>0</task_debug>
<time_debug>1</time_debug>
<trickle_debug>0</trickle_debug>
<unparsed_xml>0</unparsed_xml>
<work_fetch_debug>1</work_fetch_debug>
<notice_debug>0</notice_debug>
</log_flags>
<options>
</options>
</cc_config>
[Nov 3, 2012 5:28:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

To add, also post the first 30 lines after client start up, so we can assess the setup.

edit: And one more: Any proxies in the neighborhood that information has to pass through?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 3, 2012 5:33:52 PM]
[Nov 3, 2012 5:30:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sorry about the late reply, I've been too busy to think!

I actually tried about six more times, and eventually got it to work! I didn't change a thing, so I'm not sure what the actual problem was, but it's working fine now. I'm saving a link to this thread in case it happens again, and I can try your tip.

Thanks for the help!
[Nov 9, 2012 10:56:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread