Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 109
Posts: 109   Pages: 11   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3382335 times and has 108 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: BOINC 7.0.40 warning

The <max_concurrent>n</max_concurrent> is functional *only* for CPU exclusive tasks, and now wonder what happens if you set this tag to zero. Suppose you get due shortage of the selected projects, something else via the "if there is no work for...", but you explicitly don't want CEP2 [too heavy] or HPF2 [because they always fail anyhow due the :711 bug]. Will a section like the below for hpf2 cause them to just sit there being skipped until the user aborts, or the task expires and is eventually auto-aborted?

<app>
<name>hpf2</name>
<max_concurrent>0</max_concurrent>
</app>

Going to test this [not the intend of the function, but while we're at it finding the holes and gotchas and bonus side... still happily running maximum of 4 of each science on my octo system, never an idle core with the 5 way science mix, really 4 as CEP2 is limited to 1 core.].
[Dec 13, 2012 9:25:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

NP peace

Here is where I usually find them but they put it up after you gave me your link. biggrin
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=6698&sort=5#46743

Me either. But when I have not found them there, I have tried backdoor (url guesstimation) smile
----------------------------------------

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Dec 13, 2012 9:31:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

flodisar wrote: Thanks Sek, trying it out and yes it seems to be working. I am finally running HFCC with HCC GPU, by setting <cpu_usage> to 0.5 like you said :)

But...now I am getting not only HFCC, but also HCC CPU tasks...I only want to run HFCC on CPU :(

or is there another name for HCC GPU application that could be used for it in the app_config file? Right now I have specified "hcc1"?

Have you tried this file (I am guessing you would like to run HCC GPU only + the rest of HFCC CPU)?

<app_config>
<app>
<name>hcc1</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>.083</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>.5</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
<app>
<name>hfcc</name>
<max_concurrent>6</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>

Disclaimer: I am not using 7.0.42 yet and I have not tested it. Use of the a.m. code is on your sole responsibility wink

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Dec 13, 2012 9:38:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Further to short names, asked in private comms to add these to the system requirements page in separate column or in brackets behind the user friendly name, at least 1 Help item to make it all more comfortable to the members. Added search term "shortname" or "short name" to help would jump you there.
[Dec 13, 2012 10:06:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ThreadRipper
Veteran Cruncher
Sweden
Project Badges:

Hmmm....strange. with 7.0.42 I got lots of invalids and errors and then finally it all crashed. :( Had no such problems with 7.0.36...

Was that before or after you reduced the CPU factor to .5 [and restarted the client] ?

Looking at the time of me writing the post saying that I tried the 0.5 setting and comparing the results status page I can see that those that ended up in an errored state were both before and after trying the 0.5 setting, while the invalids seem to be only after that setting. And at some point during the night finally the PC just crashed with a black screen.

Perhaps trying to go back to 7.0.36 or 7.0.38 would be interesting to see if I can get it working there again....since I also updated from catalyst 12.10 to 12.11 beta 11 before I updated BOINC.

Join The International Team: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=CK9RP1BKX1

AMD TR2990WX @ PBO, 64GB Quad 3200MHz 14-17-17-17-1T, RX6900XT @ Stock
AMD 3800X @ PBO
AMD 2700X @ 4GHz
[Dec 13, 2012 10:22:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ThreadRipper
Veteran Cruncher
Sweden
Project Badges:

flodisar wrote: Thanks Sek, trying it out and yes it seems to be working. I am finally running HFCC with HCC GPU, by setting <cpu_usage> to 0.5 like you said :)

But...now I am getting not only HFCC, but also HCC CPU tasks...I only want to run HFCC on CPU :(

or is there another name for HCC GPU application that could be used for it in the app_config file? Right now I have specified "hcc1"?

Have you tried this file (I am guessing you would like to run HCC GPU only + the rest of HFCC CPU)?

<app_config>
<app>
<name>hcc1</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>.083</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>.5</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
<app>
<name>hfcc</name>
<max_concurrent>6</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>

Disclaimer: I am not using 7.0.42 yet and I have not tested it. Use of the a.m. code is on your sole responsibility wink

Yes that would perhaps work...but right now the 7.0.42 version is giving me errors and invalids so I am thinking of going back to 7.036 or perhaps 7.0.38 to rule out catalyst 12.11 beta issues

Join The International Team: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=CK9RP1BKX1

AMD TR2990WX @ PBO, 64GB Quad 3200MHz 14-17-17-17-1T, RX6900XT @ Stock
AMD 3800X @ PBO
AMD 2700X @ 4GHz
[Dec 13, 2012 10:25:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The <max_concurrent>n</max_concurrent> is functional *only* for CPU exclusive tasks, and now wonder what happens if you set this tag to zero. Suppose you get due shortage of the selected projects, something else via the "if there is no work for...", but you explicitly don't want CEP2 [too heavy] or HPF2 [because they always fail anyhow due the :711 bug]. Will a section like the below for hpf2 cause them to just sit there being skipped until the user aborts, or the task expires and is eventually auto-aborted?

<app>
<name>hpf2</name>
</app>

Going to test this [not the intend of the function, but while we're at it finding the holes and gotchas and bonus side... still happily running maximum of 4 of each science on my octo system, never an idle core with the 5 way science mix, really 4 as CEP2 is limited to 1 core.].

OK, setting value to zero is as tested equal to "no limit". Have asked for an altogether block value, so always/frequent failing sciences wont start at all... they can expire or be aborted should they slip through the "if there is no work for..."

(Yeah, yeah I know about what You want on the device profiles, but having the safety on the client would stop them rogues for sure ;P)
[Dec 13, 2012 12:36:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

Yes that would perhaps work...but right now the 7.0.42 version is giving me errors and invalids so I am thinking of going back to 7.036 or perhaps 7.0.38 to rule out catalyst 12.11 beta issues

I had problems with the beta 11 driver. Went back to beta 4, no more problems.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Dec 13, 2012 2:05:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

But if one has the know how to do all that, then they have knowledge to build an app_info.xml.

So how is this app_config.xml any easier? I guess I am lost on the point, since this doesn't make it easier.

Well, some of the advantages are:
1: Adding app_config.xml won't lose you any work. Even if you types an error you won't lose all cached work like is very common for app_info.xml
2: Removing app_config.xml won't lose all work, like always happens if removes app_info.xml
3: You can continue running other applications for the same BOINC-project without needing to add them to your app_config.xml
4: The client will automatically download new application-version and use your changed settings. There's no delay with possible no work since runs with outdated app_info.xml, and there's no manual editing & downloading of new files, with the possibilities of making an error, like it's for app_info.xml

Advantages with app_info.xml over app_config.xml:
5: Can run better optimized applications with app_info.xml. Not an option for most projects and not for WCG.
6: Can run applications on platform/OS-combination the project doesn't have an applicaton themselves. Not an option for most projects and not for WCG.
7: For very security-oriented people, can make sure only applications verified themselves runs, and there's no problems with suddenly "new" application being downloaded.
8: Can specify to example only download HCC-work to GPU and not CPU, but still continue downloading work for other CPU-applications. Similarly, can specify to only run the 64-bit applications on available but also using the 32-bit application in case no 64-bit is available.
9: If have both Nvida & Amd in same computer, can specify different parameters for CPU & GPU-usage.

Both methods handle the "run N tasks simultaneously on a single GPU", and for most users the method to add this option is "to copy & paste a message from the forums, and save it at the correct location". For this the app_config.xml have major advantages, as indicated by #1, #3 and #4.

app_info.xml on the other hand has a big advantage with #5... but, since WCG doesn't supply the application-code where's no optimizations available, so #5 isn't a consideration for WCG-users.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Dec 13, 2012 2:56:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: BOINC 7.0.40 warning >>>> on to 7.0.42!

<app>
<name>hpf2</name>
</app>

OK, setting value to zero is as tested equal to "no limit". Have asked for an altogether block value, so always/frequent failing sciences wont start at all... they can expire or be aborted should they slip through the "if there is no work for..."

(Yeah, yeah I know about what You want on the device profiles, but having the safety on the client would stop them rogues for sure ;P)

So, we're interacting fast with the people who've got cloud:

1) Shortly [ biggrin ] the short names will be added to the System Requirements page. Official zero doubt. Bookmark that Help topic!

2) Since app_config.xml is a WCG initiative [to aim for deep 6ing app_info for WCG], there is an FAQ for that in making too.

3) The app_config is likely going to get some feature to set the number of "In Progress", so the user for specific sciences can manage how many are on the client of a science. The client will report the app_config.xml to the server in a regular scheduler request. Server side there is no logic yet, so it will be a while for that will be operational. The major gain is that a user on each client can start to influence mix [but if there is no work for, then don't expect there to be send something else over and above you're limiting the "in progress" counts]. If the settings cause an idle core, the backup projects hopefully kick in [that is, if the buffer is not maxed out per settings already]. You'll be in charge of the joystick, win or loose the game.

4) The request was passed to developers to expand the Advanced menu to read in the app_config.xml, so a client restart wont be needed [we hope]. This is either through an additional menu option or simply by changing "Read config file" to the plural "Read config files".
[Dec 13, 2012 3:02:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 109   Pages: 11   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread